Rewind TV

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

I just read that Nexstar is starting a new diginet in Sept called Rewind TV. I presume Bounce will be replaced with Rewind when the contract comes up. Looks like the channel will carry TV shows from the 80s & 90s.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

That’s great. Antenna TV is my favorite channel, with MeTV somewhere behind it. I never found anything of interest on Bounce.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I don’t care for Bounce either. Too bad Bounce does not carry older Black shows like Julia, Room 222, Nat King Cole Show, Mod Squad, I Spy, etc.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Nat King Cole Show probably doesn’t air because of music rights problems that nobody’s gotten round to clearing yet. (Isn’t that what it always comes down to?) That’s a whole chest of legal worms in and of itself. ASCAP/BMI, Capitol, his estate, etc., plus the fact of availability of usable broadcast (or master) tapes or films being such a short run in the late 50s. The first half of its run consists of quarter-hour episodes so maybe there’s no secondary network that wants to take that insurmountable challenge on? But then how hard is it to program 2 end-to-end episodes to fill out an 1/2-hour time slot? (If it is already airing somewhere else, then I stand corrected.)

As for the others, who knows. IIRC another one (think it’s either Antenna or METV) already has the broadcast rights to Mod Squad so there’s that.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I once read that when the television networks adopted the use of video tape, time-shifting programs for airing on the West Coast was the primary application of this new technology. The 2″ quadruplex tapes then in use were costly to purchase and store, so the ability to erase and re-use them was a major selling point, in addition to their greatly superior picture quality over hot kinescopes (the technology used to capture live video to film). Consequently, many episodes of shows from the early days of video tape have been lost.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I think the same issue with the Tonight Show re-runs. Very few musical guests.

semoochie
    Participant

My understanding of a kinescope is that it’s a visual recording of the picture on a TV set.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Made with a film camera. Very low resolution. New digitizations of old kinescopes can add data, kind of like tweeting in animation, whereby the process (software) “reintroduces interlaced frames through motion estimation, essentially doubling the frame rate. The image is then interpolated and every two frames are assembled into one interlaced frame. When projected, the resulting video file appears to be reproduced from a live camera either at the U.S. frame rate of 30 frames (60 fields) per second or the European rate of 25 frames (50 fields) per second (often referred to as the “soap opera look”) rather than a non-interlaced 24 frame per second film camera..

Kinescope Recording – Television’s Antique Recording Medium

Andy Brown
    Participant

Tweening not tweeting. Thanks auto mistake.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

An announcement on Facebook says “Coming Fall 2021.” https://rewindtv.com/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.