Reporter and Cameraman Killed During Live Feed

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Reporter and Cameraman Killed During Live Feed

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Alfredo_T 4 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

duxrule
    Participant

WTF is this all about? The video is just chilling, as this woman and her cameraman are gunned down during a live interview. The guy just walks up and starts blasting.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/26/us/virginia-shooting-wdbj/index.html

mike_kolb
    Participant

It gets stranger… the suspect also had a video recorder with him and taped the murders from his perspective. Then he uploads it to his Twitter account.

Certified whackjob.

[video src="http://cache-1.sendvid.com/e06krez1.mp4" /]
    [video src="http://cache-1.sendvid.com/e06krez1.mp4" /]

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  mike_kolb.
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by  mike_kolb.

duxrule
    Participant

The dude apparently has shot himself, but he’s not dead yet.

Listener_Pete
    Participant

Deane Johnson
    Participant

This guy was an employment nightmare. I fault the TV station for hiring him in the first place. His performance and attitude were apparently so bad that I wonder how he could ever get chosen for employment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3212142/The-human-tape-recorder-TV-murderer-criticized-bosses-appalling-journalistic-standards-reprimanded-wearing-Obama-badge-report-elections.html

Amus
    Participant

And yet someone sold him a gun that apparently God told him to use.

semoochie
    Participant

Great, something new to be afraid of! On the Wikipedia death notices was this 24 year-old woman’s name and on the next line, that of a 104 year-old civil rights activist. Who knows what she or the young photographer could have accomplished if they’d had another 80 years!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

KEX’s report of this tragic story woke me up Wednesday morning. Michael Castner was very shaken as he reported the story, and he explained that during a commercial break, he and colleagues at the radio station watched the video that Flanagan had made of the shooting. They did not realize that this was the full, uncut video. One of them tried, in vain, to put his hand over the computer screen at the point where news reporter Alison Parker tries to flee as she is being shot. To quote Michael Castner, “you can’t un-watch these images.”

This story reminds me of Jing Wu’s murder of his management chain at SiPort in 2008. Like Flanagan, Wu was angry about having been fired from his job, and he lashed out at the people he believed to be responsible for his termination.

missing_kskd
    Participant

I am at a loss. Somehow, I can’t bring myself to accept this as the default state of affairs.

Of course a shooting like this is completely unacceptable, and horrible, and enraging, sad, and… again, I’m at a loss.

I have my best thoughts for everyone involved. Should never have happened.

If we can’t somehow understand how to have a rational, fact based, gun discussion, shame on us every time.

Vitalogy
    Participant

skeptical
    Participant

A friend of mine worked at ABC News for decades — taking this pretty hard.

Banning handguns and assualt weapons will eventually lead to scarse gun availability for the bad guys — they be reduced to shooting up movie theaters with bolt action rifles.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

For some reason, what saddens me the most is how young these victims were. They should have had many years ahead of them.

Cameraman Adam Ward was 27 years old and was engaged to a news producer at WDJB. I read that his fiancee was to receive her wedding dress on the day that he was killed. According to the report I heard on KEX, Adam Ward might have been the intended target of the killing because Flanagan believed that Ward had filed a complaint with WDJB’s human resources department, causing him to lose his job.

Reporter Alison Parker was just 24 years old (this number has a special significance to me because when I was 24, I graduated college, moved to Oregon, and started working full time).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.