Repacking of TV channels

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

Several months ago we had a discussion about the repacking of the TV spectrum. Why hasn’t the media jumped on this? I would think something this serious to OTA TV viewers, you would think the media would be all over this. True that companies involved cannot discuss their process but what about other services like CNN, MSNBC, Fox? Of course the FCC has a long way to go, but if the media was jump on this, the FCC would be flooded with mail and they might rethink this. Right now no translator CPs are being built or any apps oked. How long this will go on until the TV stations feel comfortable on applying or building. Right now they are not doing anything until the dust settles. Any thoughts?

Andy Brown
    Participant

I explained that in the first thread. The process moves like a turtle. ‘Nuff said? It’s not newsworthy, that’s why the media “hasn’t jumped” on it.

washnotore
    Participant

First and foremost. This is strictly a business decision being made by private media companies. So there information is not subject to public knowledge.

OPB radio had a story back in October.

http://www.opb.org/news/article/npr-fcc-offers-eye-popping-initial-bids-for-northwest-tv-airwaves/

Non Comm broadcasters like OPB. Needs to wait and see what the commercial broadcasters will do first.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, I do remember your thread on this and yes it will be moving slowly. That I understand, but according to a couple engineers I know they are quite upset over this and wants the OTA viewers to contact the FCC. I am glad to know at least OPB had a story on it. I wonder how long it will be until the FCC opens things up so stations once again can apply for CP’s?

mwdxer1
    Participant

P.S. One CE told me today in conversation that the repacking may have little effect on a market like Portland. Large markets like LA or NY will have the biggest changes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.