Religious Freedom Matters

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Amus
    Participant

The religious freedom to make up biblical sins, and pick and choose which ones to stand up against use as a bludgeon against …

Broadway
    Participant

>>use as a bludgeon
    No bludgeon here…great article…
    http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/the-dead-end-of-sexual-sin

Andy Brown
    Participant

No, not a great article. I will tell you why. It’s about one person. Whereas I believe in monotheism, I also believe in the power of science through biology and mathematics. It’s a shame that you don’t and never will beyond balancing your checkbook and taking prescribed medicine.

If you really want to read a “great” article, read this:

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/10443/20141118/homosexuality-genetic-strongest-evidence.htm

People, like the one in your article, aren’t homosexual. They are bi-curious. That translates into a liberal embracement against traditional norms.

Your article is hardly enough evidence to make a debate point when there are so many studies before the one that the linked article references that have said about the same thing.

You can believe what you want, Broadway, but the majority of Americans don’t embrace the kind of conversion crap you espouse. It’s the same with F&B’s approach to Catholicism. It’s phony. He glommed onto it late in his life and now thinks he’s different then he was before. Rubbish. I’m not saying people can’t change for the better, but in his case he thinks he can shove some ancient doctrine down everyone else’s throats and not have them gag. Fortunately, he’ll be gone for good soon. I wouldn’t pick up any of his bad habit, Broadway, because it will not further your arguments. “You got to believe” may work in church, but it is insufficient in a forum when there are hard scientific facts to the contrary about this particular biological phenomenon. Was it not the Christians that burned witches at the stake? Was it not the Christians in the Crusades that murdered non believers? I think there is a bit of housecleaning you need to do before you start pointing fingers at others and saying “sinner.”

Broadway
    Participant
    edselehr
    Participant

Oh…are you still here?

Why?

duxrule
    Participant

If they can turn away a “sinful” gay marriage, why wouldn’t they turn away a “sinful” hetero marriage? Do “strongly held religious beliefs” only apply Da Gayz? If the wedding planner is true to his or her faith, then yes, they WOULD ask if either party was divorced. They would be committing a sin by NOT asking, and then moving ahead with planning of such an illicit event. You answer your own question in the final query. Once you start down the slippery slope, it’s hard to stop, isn’t it? It looks like you “strongly religious” folks probably need to get into businesses where you don’t have to interact with the “sinful” public. These moral dilemmas would all go away.

Amus
    Participant

I don’t have a problem with Catholic’s per se.

I just think you should concentrate your efforts on keeping priests out of little boy’s bums before you start moralizing to the rest of us.

That and if you’re going to get involved in legislative matters you ought to start paying taxes on all that property.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Go away.

missing_kskd
    Participant

It is a lot worse when people do what it takes to deserve it.

edselehr
    Participant

“It’s very rude to pull the plug in the middle of a conversation without warning or explanation.”

Now THAT’S pontificating! Atta boy! Knew you had it in ya!

Please, tell me more about being rude. You seem to know a lot.

Edit add: “Why not, ed?”

There’s no mystery as to why you shouldn’t be here.

I’m curious why you think you should.

(countdown to non-answer in 5…4…3…)

duxrule
    Participant

“…the public school system has many more cases of sexual abuse by staff against student by number and percentage, yet there does not seem to be any outrage left for them.”

100% bullshit. Why are all of those people going to prison?

missing_kskd
    Participant

Why should?

Yeah, seconded.

Specifically, what does you being here get us that is worth more than having you gone is?

Let’s hear that market approach in action.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“There’s no mystery as to why you shouldn’t be here”

In fact, he is no longer here. Rejoice. The overbearing one, the big Christian hypocrite, the faux Catholic has finally done himself in. Ol’ Vern dba Jerry1949, The Pope, Wrath of Con, libby and of course fairandbalanced aka F&B has finally acted in such an egregious and scurrilous way that he has been banned, not just for the fourth (or is it fifth? Does Pope’s banishment count or is that part of Jerry1949’s banishment?) time but permanently. Word is he won’t get back in again.

Have you ever seen someone so consumed with hatred for the human race put on such a frank display of bigotry, shortsighted racism and downright ignorance (about a lot of things, not just religion) in your internet life?

There is apparently some major problems with the New Testament, Broadway. Did not Jesus of Nazareth say:

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. -John 13:34-35

???

Well what is the deal? Clearly, F&B must have cut this passage out of his Bible. That’s how this civil rights movement differs from all other civil rights movements in our history — the use of religion to justify discrimination. After the initial RFRA was signed by Gov. Mike Pence in Indiana, several businesses decided to finally voice that they would no longer be providing their services to gay people (you could hear their Christian sighs of relief) — much like the ‘whites only’ businesses in the Jim Crow south. Is this what Jesus had in mind? I would venture to say “NO.”

http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/politics/op-ed-christian-hypocrisy-at-its-finest-would-jesus-really-want-his-followers-to-discriminate-against-lgbtqs/

Broadway
    Participant
    Broadway
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.