Reagan vs. Trump (after Nancy death version)

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Reagan vs. Trump (after Nancy death version)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

As most have heard, we lost former First Lady Nancy Reagan today. She was a great influence to her husband, and a strong First Lady.

And while I honor and respect her, this post is not about her.

I couldn’t help but notice with all the coverage today, how President Reagan is a reminder of how a President should present himself. Forget the politics for a second and look at his style, both forceful and strong, yet honorable and polite.

My conclusion here is simple. Look what the front-runner in the GOP today looks like compared to Reagan.
    Again, leave the politics out for a second.

What do we want? A bully who is crude, borderline racist and with no political experience, or a statesman or a stateswoman?

Amus
    Participant

Borderline?

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Full blown, says I.

And you forgot to add dangerously ignorant.

duxrule
    Participant

The ridiculousness of Melania Trump being the FLOTUS is beyond the pale. You may as well move the Presidency to the Playboy Mansion. It is up for sale.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Totally!

However, I do think Trump will cross 50 percent. What then?

Andy Brown
    Participant

“I couldn’t help but notice with all the coverage today, how President Reagan is a reminder of how a President should present himself. Forget the politics for a second and look at his style, both forceful and strong, yet honorable and polite.

My conclusion here is simple. Look what the front-runner in the GOP today looks like compared to Reagan.
    Again, leave the politics out for a second.”

With Reagan, though, it was almost entirely acting.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Over the years, the more I’ve read about the day to day activities of Reagan during his presidency the more alarmed I became.

Disengaged, (and unaware) are the adjectives that most prominently come to mind.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Jelly Belly’s and Astronomy comes to mind.

Nice lady, but her legacy is mixed and history shows her position on AIDS was flat our wrong for all the wrong reasons (ignorance).

Vitalogy
    Participant

Not to mention the intentional hiding of President Reagan’s mental health. He was “gone” at the beginning of his 2nd term, if not before.

Amus
    Participant

I assume you meant “astrology” not “astronomy”.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Uh, yeah. Big difference

duxrule
    Participant

I should read ahead. Duplicate post.

paulwalker
    Participant

History has a way of forgetting the little things. Astrology, “Just Say No”, are in that category.

What will be remembered is Nancy’s influence on her husband, and her unending support of her husband not only during his Presidency but in his alzheimer years.

Amus
    Participant

“…not only during his Presidency but in his alzheimer years”

Which absolutely overlapped.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

By most reputable accounts, pretty much the entirety of his 2nd term in office.

Think about that for a moment. It’s unreal how many people are seemingly unbothered both by the fact it absolutely happened, as well as the fact it was covered up while he was still in office.

Based upon most of the recent coverage surrounding her death, it seems the legacy of “just say no” is pretty much top of mind among many people. And it’s largely not positive.

And I wouldn’t characterize allowing an astrologer to have actual policy input of a presidential administration as “a little thing”.

People forget either because they want to, or because such details end up being edited out of the history books; generally by the very people who have a vested contemporary political interest in doing so. It’s certainly not in the service of education or history.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.