Ralph Steadman Passed Away On Christmas Eve

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Ralph Steadman Passed Away On Christmas Eve

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    MysticKimberly
    Participant

My beloved friend Ralph Steadman “Ralph Radio” passed away on Christmas Eve. His first work in Portland was at Portland’s 620 KGW, The Talk Station where I was his producer. There were three versions of our show, The Nightclub (overnight), Ralph’s Radio Matinee (midday) and Ralph and Debb (Janes) in the morning. He also worked at KING in Seattle, KUGN in Eugene and KPAM in Portland. His career included many acting roles for TV, movies and the stage as well as improv. His best known work was as the “get a rope” guy from the old Pace TV commercials. Ralph was also a prolific writer, acting teacher and preacher. His most recent appearance was in The Christmas Carol for Oregon Contemporary Theatre in Eugene. I was lucky enough to see him perform there on December 20th…three days later he had a heart attack and did not recover from it. He left this world on Christmas Eve.

Ralph’s memorial service will be held in Eugene at the Wildish Theater on Friday, January 16 at 7pm. There has also been interest in creating an event here which I am working on. You can see up to date info on his Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/mrmanatee.

Ralph’s ideas and work will live on in the hearts and works of so many creative people and communities that he impacted. I have posted some of the original 620 KGW talk shows at http://RalphRadio.com.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

He sounded great on the 620 KGW talk shows. I also vaguely remember hearing him on the old 92 KZAM in Seattle (fm in Bellevue).

Alan Craig
    Participant

So very sad to hear this. I first met Ralph in 95 and was always glad to run in to him from time to time over the past many years. Always a sharp wit with an uncanny knack for turning the perfect phrase. A pros pro of radio and the boards. RIP

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Steadman worked for Eugene’s version of KZAM, circa 1986.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

RALPH STEADMAN RADIO TIME LINE using “The Oregonian” & “The Seattle Times” on line. The “Eugene Register Guard” starts on line issues in 2001 so the newspaper wasn’t any help.

Apr 11, 1987 Ralph began on KING-FM (Classical) Seattle, Saturday afternoons and weekday Production.
    Aug 28, 1989 Ralph began on KGW (The Talk Station) Midnight to 5:30am.
    Feb 1, 1990 Ralph was moved Noon to 3:00pm on KGW (The Talk Station).
    July 23, 1990 Ralph was moved to mornings on KGW (The Talk Station) with Debb Janes.
    July 26, 1991 KGW laids off The Talk Station’s personalities.
    Mar 17, 1992 began on KJR Seattle (Sports Radio 950) mornings 6:00 to 10:00am with Keith Shipman
    1992 Ralph reported on KUGN (News Talk 590) Eugene, 9:00 to Noon.
    1995 Ralph reported gone from KUGN (News Talk 590)
    1996 Ralph reported on KUGN’s sister KLRF (FM).
    1997 Ralph reported gone from KLRF (FM).
    May 1, 2000 Ralph began on KPAM (Radio Free Oregon).
    Nov 2001 Ralph gone from KPAM (Radio Free Oregon).
    ???? KZAM ?

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant
    dellmcg
    Participant

MysticKimberly,
    I saw you at Ralph Steadman’s memorial and your presentation was great! I am Ralph’s cousin and wanting to get a copy of the Video clip you created for more Steadman family in Alaska to see. I know they would appreciate it a great deal as they were unable to attend. I just wish I had said something to you at the service. I don’t know how to get ahold of you. Dell

Listener_Pete
    Participant

I use to listen to Ralph in the morning on “620 The Talk Station”

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

A tribute to Ralph Steadman thru December 12 — in the Portland Tribune article, http://portlandtribune.com/pt/11-features/283652-159904-a-salute-to-old-radio

Dxer1969
    Participant

Yep, liked listening to Ralph on graveyard. But who was the cop? Or maybe the Police Union President? Not sure right now. All I know is, he was on in 89 from 6pm til 9pm. Thought he had a very good show also.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Ron Still! He was very informative! Very intellect and gave inside info ( at times) out the Portland Police.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.