RadioShack — Is the End Near?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

Numerous posters on antiqueradios.com have been reporting that the remaining RadioShack stores in their areas have been liquidating inventory around 40-60% off. RadioShack’s Website is now advertising a CLEARANCE SALE with some products discounted 20-50%.

Is it time to re-start the PDXRadio Corporate Deathwatch?

Langston
    Participant

How many of you can remember when Radio Shack was mail order and sold government surplus?

radiogeek
    Participant

I was in the Raleigh Hills store yesterday, and asked the clerk if this location was closing. She said that the sale was to reduce inventory to make room for the inventory from other stores that are closing. Her story was that three stores would remain in the Metro area, and the Raleigh Hills store was one of those three. She said once inventory was reduced enough at all locations then they would shift things around and go back to business at the remaining stores, but without the same focus on contract cell phone sales.

paulwalker
    Participant

Many of the Radio Shacks that are closing will become Sprint retail stores. In Eastern WA there are a number of Sprint “store within a store” in Radio Shacks.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/sprint-agreement-with-radioshack-will-result-in-new-corporate-owned-stores.htm

Andy Brown
    Participant

Nostalgia is nice but the shack outlived it’s usefulness about 15 years ago as a place to go for parts and accessories. Times change in consumer electronics but it got to the point where you couldn’t count on them to have anything in stock resembling a parts inventory nor did they have much of a selection of accessories. I’d guess that on line website sales only prolonged their decline.

Andrew
    Participant

I kind of thought they were already OOB after the last bankruptcy. I’ve been surprised that some stores have stayed open the last few years.

Still remember fondly taking my battery card to Radio Shack many times as a kid and eventually getting a free battery – how thrilled I was each time!

Scott J
    Spectator

Even Facebook has a page on this:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/412860428876798/

One comment there says “No wonder they’re out of business. Something that should cost $5 is $13. Crazy considering they are MASS produces for pennies each”

I would go to RS simply to find an electronic part I needed
    or for an accessory; still have one of their ‘battery checkers’ that works good.

Of course they had the ‘Realistic’ brand of headphones, microphones, etc

jr_tech
    Participant

Sounds as if they are not completely shutting down?

https://www.radioshack.com/pages/bankruptcy-announcement

The fate of about 1300 stores still has not been determined.

For nostalga, check out the old catalogues:

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html

skeptical
    Participant

A PDXradio Corporate Deathwatch wouldn’t be a bad thing with the new assho . . . um, president and all.

paulwalker
    Participant

Radio Shack and K-mart and Sears are certainly not dead, but they are dying a slow death.

If you want Kenmore or GE appliances, just go to Home Depot, or Lowes, and get them there at less cost. Actually the products are still quite good.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I should dig up the old Corporate Deathwatch thread. To make it onto the deathwatch, companies had to file for bankruptcy protection. In my recollection, some of the companies listed eventually went out of business (Churchill Communications, LLC, owners of “La X” radio stations, was one of them).

Alfredo_T
    Participant
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

Del Sol Communications, once located at 369 SE 10th Ave in Hillsboro, was a storefront that sold mobile phones and satellite TV systems to the Latino community. The location has been vacant for at least a month.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Yesterday, I passed by the Cedar Hills Crossing location, and I saw a big, yellow “STORE CLOSING” banner. Before getting too excited about buying some of the closeout items there, though, one should keep in mind that they might be available more inexpensively from on-line retailers. For example, the venerable LM386 audio amplifier IC is now $1.04 at Radio Shack, but one can find it for as low as $0.69 on-line.

radiogeek
    Participant

Turns out the reassurance about store consolidation I was told earlier was wrong. The Raleigh Hills location is empty and closed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.