Radio station staff gives voice to Yakama Nation

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Radio station staff gives voice to Yakama Nation

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    washnotore
    Participant
    W7PAT
    Participant

Great article and a great use of AM radio.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

They are certainly using the station in the best way possible. Thanks for sharing the article.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Well done. There’s a radio station in Shiprock, NM, that produces a show in Navajo every night for the folks in the reservation there. If you’ve seen “Windtalkers,” then you know about the long history of the Navajo native language. The station even uses Navajo announcers for commercials, adapting them from the English versions. Last time I was in the area, the sration’s Navajo show played mostly country music, very little Rock or pop stuff. Spent an evening listening to it on my last visit there several years ago. Fascinating.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Every now and then, KTNN 660 can be heard in the Portland area. I find it interesting that they also intersperse traditional pow wow music with contemporary country music.

Chico
    Participant

KTNN has a giant signal in Eastern WA and Eastern OR at night, and in Walla Walla I occasionally heard it during the day during the winter. Sounded like a local.

I know it is not really a “Clear Channel” but for all intents it is- a great use of a big signal to cover a BIG Navajo Nation, an area with lots of mountains and not a ton of man made interference. It’s like going back in time.

KYNR unfortunately is located on the very edge of the Yakima Nation, at a 1K graveyard frequency. But at least it covers a good chunk of the native population, if not the whole reservation. Good for them. Maybe someday one of the bigger signals will come available in Yakima. Then again, Yakima is one of those places that never GOT a truly big AM signal.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I have been trying to DX 1490, and I think that I briefly heard a station that was KYNR. Unfortunately, there are three 1490s in the same general direction from me: KYNR, KTEL, and KEYG. In addition to that, I have sideband splash from KBMS.

Scott Young
    Participant

I’ve heard KYNR from the Portland area several times. Easily identified by the music. Never have heard a “KYNR Toppenish” ID but how many other 1490s around here play the same kind of music? It had to be them. Back around 1970 I managed to clearly hear them as KENE one night from Portland. I think it was the same night I heard 1240 KXLE in Ellensburg, another tough one to hear.

Scott Young
    Participant

Alfredo, I meant to add that I live in one of KBMS’ nulls and Toppenish is about 90 degrees from KBMS where I live. That helps!

Chico
    Participant

BTW, there is at least ONE US station at 1490 that has more than 1000 watts daytime. Without Googling, can you name it?

boisebill
    Participant

About Prosser KTEL starts beating up on it.

Puerto Rico

Chico
    Participant

Winner winner chicken dinner to Mr. Bill! WDEP in Ponce PR is 5K days. So far away from everything else out there that I guess they figured 5K wouldn’t hurt anybody. Still only 1K nights, tho.

boisebill
    Participant

1230 1240 1340 1400 1450 & 1490 are class B frequencies in Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the United States Virgin Islands.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.