Radio station "move-ins"

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    johnf
    Participant

On this and other radio discussion boards, I have seen frequent reference to radio station “move ins.” But I have never really found a clear definition on the Web of what they are.

I know in general it is when a more rural or suburban license is moved from one community to another closer to a metropolitan area, in hopes of reaching into that urban area. But I’ve never seen specific criteria. I also know that these move-ins can often take many years to get approval.

Also, how many of the Portland-area signals are because of move-ins? I seem to recall that KFIS 104.1 was the result of a move from Tillamook to Scappoose. And wasn’t 105.9 The Brew one? I know that the new 96.3 KWLZ is because of a move from Warm Springs to West Linn. And I think 95.1 in Salem resulted from a signal move from the coast, correct?

I also know that up in the Seattle area, 104.5 KMCQ, which recently became K-LOVE station KLSW, was a move from The Dalles, Ore. to Covington, Wash. That seemed to me to be an unusually long move in terms of distance.

I think I read where KWLZ is the last move-in for a major urban area in the nation. Is that correct?

fieldstrength
    Participant

93.1 KRYP was moved from Astoria. It was once KAST 92.9.

97.9 KLVP is the former KNRQ Eugene.

105.1 KRSK was moved closer to Portland from Salem, although they did have decent coverage of Portland before the move.

radiodork
    Spectator

what happend with knrk? i remember their signal was horrible back in the mid 90’s. Much better now though.

Andy Brown
    Participant

What happened to NRK is that they were upgraded from a Class A to C2 and relocated to the west hills.
    105.9 was an allocation created in 1988 by petition a few years before that. Its creation required changes in two stations. One is in Coos Bay which had to move down a channel and I forget the other one. I still have the Report and Order for it down in the basement with my 105.9 application and hearing stuff. That kind of addition is called a “Drop in” because unlike a move in it didn’t previously exist. 94.7 and 107.5 are drop ins that resulted from the passage of Docket 80-90 in 1982. Those two both started out as Class A’s but are now C2 and C1 (or is it C0?). Previously, before big money took over the industry, there were far fewer move ins, but there have always been drop ins. Move ins happen more because very often the same company now owns the stations that previously weren’t interested in moving up or down a channel, relocating their antenna or downgrading their class. Also, when that is not the case, two big corporate owners will horse trade across markets, that is they will give some ground in one market with the understanding that the other company will return the favor in some other market. In fact, 105.9 ended up being a big battle between Clear Channel and Entercom (neither of whom were applicants in the proceeding -this was before 1996 and new allocations were awarded based on Comparative hearings and appeals process that always followed the initial decision handed down by the FCC). Clear Channel ended up paying $21.5 million for 105.9 in 1998 but 8 million of it went to Entercom and the rest was divided up amongst the 10 applicants remaining on the docket. In another comparative hearing the reverse happened whereby Entercom got the property and Clear Channel got their 8 million back. Even so, Clear Channel paid 13.5 million for 105.9 which today isn’t worth even half that much. Today there is even more back room wheeling and dealing going on on the move ins. Drop ins can be initiated by petition from the outside or by the FCC. Move ins always come from the outside.

semoochie
    Participant

Yes, 107.5 is a Class C0 and even ran 100KW @440 meters for awhile, the same as the full class Cs using that antenna.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Found the Report and Order.

The creation of 105.9 required KYNG-FM Coos Bay to use 105.9 C2 instead of 106.5 C2 and KFAT/KLOO Corvallis to use 106.3 C instead of 106.1 C.

http://feedback.pdxradio.com/forums/topic/how-105-9-vancouver-came-to-be/

e_dawg
    Participant

Knrk wasn’t a class A station, they were a class c-3 station to begin with in my. Scott. I believe it was 1997-98 that kmge 94.5 in Eugene downgrade from class c to c1 in order for knrk to upgrade from class c3 to class c2 on my Scott before they move to Healy heights.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The allocation on 94.7 began as a Class A.

CP FOR NEW FM ON: FREQUENCY 94.7 MHZ, #234; ERP 3.00 KW H&V;
    HAAT 67.8 METERS H&V 45 35 54 122 22 38

Here’s their original CP (note it clearly states Class A)

http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/pubacc/Auth_Files/110200.pdf

They tried moving to Bridal Veil and filed a whole mess of amendments, but all were either dismissed or not acted on. They had to request to extend their CP because it was about to expire and they hadn’t gotten on the air and their proposed change in the rules to get C3 took a while to get through the courts, which it did in late ’92 and they went on air in ’93 as a C3, but as I stated in my first post, they “started out as Class A’s”. That’s because docket 80-90 only created Class A’s. Here’s their petition:

http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc1702/m1/94/

jay_zie
    Participant

Wasn’t KZZR 94.3 La Zeta a move in from the coast too?

semoochie
    Participant

Yes, it was in Tillamook and thank you for reminding me.

e_dawg
    Participant

Speaking of central Oregon. There’s a construction permit for 96.5 in madras Oregon. I wonder if they can move their transmitter to the same tower as kcoe 106.5/ kwxs 107.7 instead of their current location. Their current locations targets cows horses and stage brush.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“I wonder if they can move their transmitter to the same tower as kcoe 106.5/ kwxs 107.7”

No, they can’t. In the first link, go to Exhibit 15b. You can see the area in which they can be located is quite small and below the map you can see how tight the distances to 1st adjacent KNRQ and several 2nd adjacents are.The second link shows the site for the two stations you refer to and it is SE of Prineville, much much too far south then 96.5 can go. The bottom of the window they can be in is where Crook, Wheeler and Jefferson County come together, well north of what you’re suggesting.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101536445&qnum=5140&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101492797&qnum=5270&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.