Radio station, mid 2000’s, played ~17 second clips of songs all day?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Radio station, mid 2000’s, played ~17 second clips of songs all day?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    spunk
    Participant

I’m going insane and I hope someone can help! I have a very distinct memory of a local station rebranding and playing incredibly short clips of popular songs all day instead of regular music. There was no DJ as far as I remember, and each clip was preceded by a recorded voice saying a number (e.g. “Number 116”, then the song would play). I can’t find anything about this googling, does anyone remember who did this???

drchaps
    Participant

Quick 106. Hit you up on Reddit. Great question!

semoochie
    Participant

The “Quick” format was all over the country at the time.

spunk
    Participant

Goddamn, thank you. I was going insane cause I knew it was one of the stations that had undergone a bunch of changes the past decade or so. Totally missed that little snippet on the Wikipedia page!

Master of Disaster
    Participant

105.9 was a relatively new Portland radio frequency, having signed on in early 2001 (if memory serves me) as Star 105.9. The format lasted until June 2002 yet the ad on the side of the building on the Eastside of the Burnside Bridge lived on for years after (it was an active billboard when the building was a storage company, taking a guess it was the last ad painted on the side of the building).

A bit of wrangling with archive.org yielded one of the lists of song clips: https://web.archive.org/web/20020628105515/http://www.quick106.com:80/quick/Music_40.htm

Quick 106 only lasted a few days until 105.9 The River, First Class Rock was the second format on the frequency.

(Also, I noticed the page header says “Quick96.com”; this exact stunt was used several months earlier in Seattle on 95.7.)

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Yep, Quick 106. It was Cheap Channel’s stunt before the “River” format premiered on 105.9. I remember scanning up the band one night for Dr. Lori on KVMX and hearing this robotic-sounding voice announcing numbers followed by music fragments. Huh, must be some new station testing an automation system’s audition mode and not reaslising it’s getting on the air. Ooo-kay. Then came the description of the new non-format. It was quite the item of ridicule at the restaurant I worked at for a couple of weeks in summer of 2002!

IIRC, the numbers were concatenated speech samples by a male announcer. You could tell: *song sample* one-twelve *sample* one-thirteen *sample* one-fourteen *sample* etc.

In fact it’s interesting that somebody brought this up now. At the end of my block there has been a neighbor’s car with a “105.9 The River” bumper sticker for about a week.

I’m sure somebody somewhere had to have airchecked it. I wish I had thought to. (In fact I think I was getting ready to record it one night and it had already gone to the “River” format. But who knows. That was almost 20 years ago.) It would be good for a laugh, especially these days.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Ah-you beat me to the punch! When that happened, I had a co-worker ask me about what this station was doing. I explained that the recording that they were playing was something like what panelists at an auditorium test hear. The panelists, I said, are asked to rate each of the snippets on some metric, such as how much they like the song or whether they can recognize it.

Thus, the wheel of formats for 105.9 has been Star 105.9, Quick 106, The River, Smooth Jazz 105.9, and The Brew. I find it ironic that The Brew has lasted so long, both because of the long-running success of KGON and because all of the previous formats were short-lived.

semoochie
    Participant

KVMX was the Rhythmic AC just before KXJM on 107.5. You must be thinking of KXMX although I didn’t realize that they put those call letters on the air. It was just before KKLQ. Here’s the order:

Call Sign Begin Date
    KFBW 06/02/2009
    KQOL 09/05/2007
    KIJZ 11/08/2005
    KRVO 06/28/2002
    KSTE-FM 02/13/2001
    KBET-FM 08/22/2000
    KKLQ 04/06/1999
    KXMX 06/29/1998

Alfredo_T
    Participant

What makes the 105.9 history confusing is that KXMX and KKLQ were only construction permits. When the station went on the air in early 2001, used the call letters KBET.

pdx5810
    Participant

I have a cassette of “Quick 106,” somewhere in my boxes of airchecks.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Please, by all means, do get it into the computer and upload it to archive.org! I especially want to hear it again.

KVMX was the Rhythmic AC just before KXJM on 107.5. You must be thinking of KXMX although I didn’t realize that they put those call letters on the air. It was just before KKLQ. Here’s the order

I’m thinking of KVMX which was the call letters of 107.5 between 2000 and 2006. CBS Infinity ran a mostly-80s new wave format then and at Friday nights they had “Ask Doctor Lori” (syndicated sex therapist call-in show; not to be confused with Lori Verderame). I listened to KVMX a lot in high school (graduated in 2002) and college when I wasn’t listening to either KKSN or the musique concrete programming on communist KBOO. Then they dropped ADL for whatever reason and I found “Loveline” on 94.7, which ran in the same 10-midnight time slot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KXJM#Modern_AC_and_%2780s_Hits

pdx5810
    Participant

Yes, you are right, noSignal! I believe KVMX was the second or third “Movin” formatted station in the country behind Seattle, and maybe San Francisco. They never sounded as good as Seattle did though, and didn’t see the ratings they wanted.

semoochie
    Participant

The article states that 107.5 switched to Modern AC from Christian Contemporary. That isn’t quite accurate. It switched to a simulcast of KBBT AM970, a direct competitor of Alternative KNRK that predated them by several years. Shortly thereafter, they switched both to Modern AC.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Uh…..

On June 2, 2000, most of the on-air staff was fired, with exception of Cort Webber (of Cort and Fatboy fame) and Troy Daniels. The station flipped to KVMX Mix 107.5 with an all-1980s hits format.

That “Movin” abomination replaced the “Mix” all-80s format in 2006.

And there’s no use beating round the bush. “Movin” just sucked monkey cock. It was garbage. Their TV adverts were pretty crappy as well, in fact it really kind of exemplified the format as a whole at the time. I didn’t know anybody who actively listened and the people that I asked about it all seemed to feel about the same. Somebody must have been listening (mostly little Vietnamese and Korean ladies working in nail salons (disclosure: I worked at Vancouver Mall then so I heard it walking past a nail salon at least twice a day, every day….. they also did fuckin’ awesome pedicures, before such a thing on a dude was fashionable and would have been considered unusually “forward thinking”)) because somehow they managed to make money to justify its couple years’ existance. In the end one wonders how it lasted as long as it did.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.