Radio Pig Gone Bankrupt: Limbaugh's Contract Ending: Who Will Pay Him Now?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Radio Pig Gone Bankrupt: Limbaugh's Contract Ending: Who Will Pay Him Now?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

We may soon find a blissful silence filling the nation as hateful extremist Rush Limbaugh stares down the end of his contract with radio conglomerate IHeartRadio (fka Chump Channel) with very small chance of his floundering show being renewed. IHeartRadio has not shown a profit since 2007, and that long drought is no doubt been made more difficult with the gigantic price tag of Limbaugh’s show. The company has already been cutting other assets, so there is no chance that they will pay to keep a dying show with a dying host on the air. IHeartRadio stock has dropped from the 2008 rate of $39 dollars a share to a dismal $1.15. Many blame Limbaugh whose fringe rants have given other advertisers and personalities on the stations a bad name. It really adds up to poor management at Chump Channel. Frankly, they haven’t gotten anything correct with programming so I don’t buy that it’s all Limpnutz’s fault.

Ba-bye Rush.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2016/04/12/rush-limbaugh-facing-big-pay-cut/209876

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Should that come to pass, let us update the tally of dead radio formats:

x MOR
    x Full Service
    x Beautiful Music/Easy Listening
    x Smooth Jazz
    x Active Rock
    x Hot Talk
    x Political Talk

paulwalker
    Participant

While I am no fan of Rush, I do not believe he will be reduced to podcasts. He could take a reduced role with IHeart, and by reduced, I mean less money. Or he could go indie, as Glenn Beck did. His “cranky” radio show still has an audience much to my chagrin, but he is heading toward the end.

IMO, he is very difficult to listen to with his old-style phrasing such as “folks”, and his continued Larry Lujack style of being the “best” radio host out there, which is certainly far from the truth. Atleast when Lujack said it, it was somewhat believable.

And his constant off air conversations with “Snurdley” are irritating and very bad radio., as he is having a conversation with someone we can’t hear, whoever thought that one up is a fool.

I will be glad when Iheart moves past Rush, or Rush retires. However, I don’t think it is obvious he is going to be all of a sudden off the air anytime soon.

Vitalogy
    Participant

$1.15 per share? That’s about $1.15 more than what it’s really worth.

Two predictions on this:

1. Rush gets no new contract and is forced to seek other alternatives, all of which pay less than he’s used to.

2. Clear Channel is headed towards Chapter 11 BK. Bondholders beware, a #1 clipper cut is coming your way.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Mr. Snerdley is the producer/call screener for the show. His real name is James Golden:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Golden_(radio_personality)

missing_kskd
    Participant

Happy dance! The stop rush effort is paying off. They killed lefties talk in the process, oh well.

Worth it. That ass has a very serious decency problem. He should be on subscription, not public airwaves, and I’ve said that forever.

All the lefties moved to Internet and are doing OK, and have growing audiences. My phone fetches a line up better than KPOJ ever was every morning. I’m good to go.

Frankly, Limbaugh will do fine on subscription podcast. You can go way the hell back in the archives and see KSKD pitching the subscription podcast, and mentioning Limbaugh and others too.

It’s the right thing to do. People can pay for that shit, and they will, and doing that is all just fine.

Maybe we can one day return to good politics and culture talk. It’s still a very high value format once the ugly has some time to fade away.

Amus
    Participant

I have not had a chance to watch this yet.
    Nothing really new.

How many have seen this in someone they know and love?

I can count three in my family.

http://www.thebrainwashingofmydad.com/

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Wow. Just Wow.
    Limbaugh is a loss leader. Some groups build on the audience the program generates while other lay-off live hosts and go total syndie. Depends on market and management. I am sure renog contracts will be at lower prices porque the industry is depressed (again).
    IHeart Media / CC Media Holdings / Clear Channel has been bankrupt before. While it does own broadcast properties, iHeart is now content distribution (a different business model).
    Sorry, Net City. Rush will have the largest daily audience and best Q ratings in the world’ largest radio market for a while longer.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Wow. Just Wow.
    Limbaugh is a loss leader. Groups will build on the audience the program generates or lay off live hosts and go total syndi depending on market and management. Renog contracts may be less expensive porque the industry is broken again.
    iHeart Media / CC Media Holdings / Clear Channel has been broken before. While it does own broadcast properties, IHeart is now content distribution (a different business model).
    Rush will continue to maintain the biggest audience and the best Q ratings in the world’s largest radio market a while longer.

semoochie
    Participant

Do we know when Limbaugh’s contract is ending?

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.