Radio Movies

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    fatb0y2011
    Participant

So I think I remember a thread on here some time ago, still I just thought I’d toss out a few of the must see movies for anyone that considers themselves a “real radio guy/person” (This political correct shit is killing me! Good that I’m not on the air any more.)
    Here’s what I go with:

FM (Pretty good classic rock sound track.)
    Play Misty For Me (Always reminds me of when I started working weekend overnights for “Magic 107”.)
    The Fog (Original) (Kinda cool to have a studio at the top of a light house.)
    Talk Radio (Bogosian has killer pipes.)
    Pirate Radio(The audio processing of the shots when they were on the air was outstanding!)
    The Fifth Element (Now this is the ultimate remote broadcast with one Diva of an air talent!)
    Private Parts (Double-You-ennnnnnnnn-Bee-See)
    There are probably more, if so I’d like to add them.

paulwalker
    Participant

Great topic…off hand I can’t think of others that you might have missed, other than perhaps “Good Morning, Viet Nam”.

But you offered two of my favorite radio movies. “Play Misty For Me”, AKA the first “Fatal Attraction”, was very well done, and Clint not only starred but directed for the first time.

“Private Parts” was also very well done, and was probably the most realistic of radio movies. Paul Giamatti was memorable as “Pig Vomit, the PD, a character based on the late Kevin Metheny, former KJR Seattle jock (Kevin O’Brien) and radio programmer.

I also enjoyed “FM” with Martin Mull, though it is hard to find these days. Probably should check Amazon!

jr_tech
    Participant

“Probably should check Amazon!”

You want a beat up copy for $98 or new for $200?

YIKES!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00003ETJ1/ref=olp_page_1

paulwalker
    Participant

Neither. It wasn’t THAT good!

fatb0y2011
    Participant

Good Morning Vietnam
    Good call. I had that on my list but for some reason didn’t put it in.
    That’s another with a great soundtrack.
    Another one I neglected was Vanishing Point, staring Barry Newman and Clevon Little. The shots of the control room were a lot like the first radio station I ever visited back in Canyon, Texas. Complete with store front and dusty streets.

paulwalker
    Participant

We could probably add “American Graffiti” with the Wolfman, though it was kind of a sub-plot.

Chico
    Participant

“The Boat That Rocked” was actually pretty good. Pirate Radio in the late 60s just off the coast of England…Radio Caroline (and others.) Not sure why it wasn’t more popular- but I never have really understood what makes a movie a hit, anyway.

Chico
    Participant

Also, I don’t know if you would classify the movie “Prairie Home Companion” as a radio movie. If you do, then there you go. Robert Altman made some great movies. Too bad his last one wasn’t one of those.

paulwalker
    Participant

I have not seen “Prairie Home Companion”. Is it worth checking out anyway?

I agree Altman made some great movies, my two favorites are “The Player” (early 90’s), and “Nashville” (mid 70’s)

Broadway
    Participant

Was not a movie about radio but named such…”Radio” with Cuba Gooding Jr. was a neat flick.

fatb0y2011
    Participant

“Radio” had a real radio connection, though. The screenplay was written by former KINK Newsman Mike Rich.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I wonder, of all of these radio movies, which ones most accurately depict what goes on behind-the-scenes at radio stations? Of all the films listed so far, the ones that I have seen are: Good Morning, Vietnam and Talk Radio. I have also seen Pump Up The Volume, which has not yet been listed.

Good Morning, Vietman – Was anything in this film remotely close to reality?

Talk Radio – This film was based on the life of talk show host Alan Berg. The talk show host in the movie is shot to death outside the radio studio by an old cowboy who pretends to request an autograph. The real Alan Berg was assassinated outside his home by a White supremacist group.

Pump Up The Volume – I saw this film while still in high school, in the early 1990s. For some reason, I found the prevalence of pre-grunge “alternative fashions” enticing (perhaps because there were virtually no students at my high school who dressed that way), but I was shocked by the extremely high prevalence of cigarette smoking! I also felt that the film was skimpy on the technical details of running a pirate radio station, and I found the notion of an obscure pirate station becoming a hit with the entire student body of a high school to not be all that believable.

paulwalker
    Participant

Alfredo, if you want reality, I would suggest your choice, “Talk Radio”, but also “Private Parts”. While “Private Parts” was intended to be a comedy, it really strikes home about the reality of the radio biz. An underground classic.

semoochie
    Participant

If we’re just looking for titles, there’s “Radio Days”.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Here is a great line from Billy Crystal in City Slickers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.