Radio Happenings In The Capitol City

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Radio Happenings In The Capitol City

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 9 posts - 241 through 249 (of 249 total)
  • Author
    chessyduck
    Participant

Not really a Salem station but Corvallis instead.

I notice KORC LPFM now has a nice website, complete with an audio stream: https://www.korcfm.com/

Perhaps this board needs a “Valley Radio Happenings” to catch all the Albany, Corvallis, Lebanon, etc. happenings..

Andy Brown
    Participant

105.5 The Moon has their stream back up and running. Still no power and/or internet at the transmitter site.

chessyduck
    Participant

Two photos from the recent KTUP/KMWV tower climb appear on the KTUP website under this annoucement –

ANUNCIO PARA NUESTRA AUDIENCIA.

The small photo on the bottom appears to be a view from the tower heights of Prospect Hill.

chessyduck
    Participant

On 2/24 the FCC approved the modification to the former K228FN translator on 93.5. Distell’s engineers changed the antenna pattern and frequency to 93.3 MHz. A slight power increase to 250 watts included, the station will relay KWBY Woodburn as K227DU.

I don’t hear any “FM 93.3” announcements yet on KWBY, but certainly KKNU 93.3 Eugene’s coverage into Salem will be lost with the change. Here’s the engineering study:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f91775ed126017764786c65023e

The paperwork says KWBY will be received directly off the air — I hope not as the nighttime power of 200 watts really would be weak into the Prospect Hill transmitter site. (I suspect it will be an Internet-audio fed from Bustos’ Portland complex.)

Andy Brown
    Participant

Feeding a translator at 93.5 by any means other than OTA is in violation of the rules.

chessyduck
    Participant

Nope, not for the AM/FM fill-in types that are within the primary station’s contour. For the non-fill-in types we then get into the NCE-vs-non-NCE rules as to whether they can be satellite-fed or must be via direct-OTA. Gosh, even the FCC now has “Internet” as one of the feed options in the translator application forms. As always, the applicant can seek an exception..

Nearly all AM-to-FM cross service translators use an Internet or STL feed to get that pristine FM-quality audio.

Broadway
    Participant

Don’t know why Bustos needed to drop down a tick on the dial…coverage was fine at “more clear” 93.5 than now going co-channel on a station that reaches good portion of Salem. My guess this will not work.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Nope, not for the AM/FM fill-in types that are within the primary station’s contour. “

I was assuming they were exceeding that limit. They really crunched coverage to the south and to the west to keep inside that contour. Isn’t this the translator that used to be in downtown on the top of the Capitol Center? I think there is an old thread laying around here where we discussed that very point, that Prospect was going to have issues going south. My experience with antenna design like that is that it is easier to pass FCC requirements than it is to get an antenna built that does that AND performs well in the major lobe without artifacts created by deep nulling.

chessyduck
    Participant

Yes, a deep-dive into that engineering study shows K227DU really bumps up against the KKNU protected contour. KKNU could run some spots asking for listener complaints – some stations have been doing that and the end-result was the translator had to drop power or change frequency.

(Oh yes, I am a fan of the older, simpler rules regarding translators. At some point local-origination, not just “geo-casting”, will come to pass. We already have the 30-second underwriting-spot rule which allows remote translator to have a 30-second hourly announcement to ask listeners to send in support monies to the local PO box… I don’t think I actually have heard one implemented. )

Viewing 9 posts - 241 through 249 (of 249 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.