Radio Happenings In The Capitol City

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Radio Happenings In The Capitol City

This topic contains 171 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  chessyduck 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 172 total)
  • Author

chessyduck
    Participant

I always wondered why Bustos Media’s KSND had such a strange tower location in the Coast Range – its signal only covers western Salem.

The answer mainly lies in Creswell adjacent KUJZ 95.3 .. The minimum separation is 99km and currently Riley Peak is at 106 km distance. The secondary factor is C0-Class KBFF 95.5 in Portland at 97.9 km — only 10.9 km away from 87 km minimums.

Perhaps KSND can move a few kilometers east but there’s really no communications tower sites with power between the current location and Falls City -…

semoochie
    Participant

KTUP is the call for the new Dallas FM station on 98.3, which should be built out by November. It looks like it will have city grade coverage of all of Salem and be more than adequate in Albany and Corvallis.

chessyduck
    Participant

KTUP’s slogan is “Tu Poder Radio”… Somewhat Spanglish in syntax … better to lead with the noun as in “Radio Tu Poder” but we’ll let it pass…

Well-sourced rumor is that there will be HD as well…

semoochie
    Participant

I should have mentioned that KTUP has a share time arrangement with KMWV, using the same facilities. It’s a Class C3.

Screamer
    Participant

How do you share a frequency?

Broadway
    Participant

My thinking is that each station could be full time just one on HD2 half time when they’re not on main analog. Saw a grid of their schedule…ruffly KMWV/CCTV is drive time and evenings…KTUP has days.

semoochie
    Participant

Stations have shared time since the dawn of radio. As a matter of fact, they used to ALL be on one frequency! Our local 99.1 LPFM used to share time.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

“How do you share a frequency?”

There are two ways to do it. One is that the transmitter is shared by both stations, and some automated means is used to select which audio feed goes on the air. The second is for both stations to have their own transmitters, with each having to drop carrier to prevent interference to the other.

I lived in Austin, TX in the mid 1990s, many years before LPFM. The last available full-power frequency in the area was 91.7 MHz, which was awarded, it was explained to me, to both KOOP and KVRX. The conditions of the time share agreement was that the handover from one station to the other had to happen at a pre-determined time, via automated means. This was implemented at the transmitter site via a sprinkler timer that drove a relay to select which station’s audio feed entered the stereo generator.

Screamer
    Participant

Thank you, Broadway, Semoochie and Alfredo! This old dog can still learn things! I appreciate it!

chessyduck
    Participant

KPCN-LP Radio Movimiento is now carrying some “muy pronto KTUP” announcements if you happen to speak Spanish.. just listen for the racing engine sounds… Besides Spanish, KTUP will carry some programming in Mixteco and Purépecha, native languages of Oaxaca and Michoacan states… already heard on KPCN-LP

chessyduck
    Participant

Arturo Sarmiento announced on KMUZ’s Hispanidades show yesterday that 98.3 FM KTUP Tu Poder Radio will launch at 10am on Sunday 15 September.. 《 No word on KMWV however…)

chessyduck
    Participant

The KTUP website is now active at http://www.turadiopoder.org

chessyduck
    Participant

K264AA 100.7 as of 15 September has increased power to 220 watts ERP from the former 32 watts. Officially being fed by one of the 98.3 HD subchannels as the translator covers more area than the KMUZ 88.5 analog signal, the coverage on 100.7 has greatly improved … A picture of the antenna and more details are at the KMUZ.org website.

Besides KTUP/KMWV and KMUZ , if any, what is the third HD stream on 98.3?

Broadway
    Participant

Pretty confusing on what’s going on here…2 new stations sharing frequency and existing Class A and translator that they own that sounds like they will share or give up to new signal that might want to use it for full time coverage of formats?

chessyduck
    Participant

Just to clear up a little confusion of my earlier post.. the 100.7 trsnslator although licensed to KMWV, K264AA has been rebroadcasting KMUZ Turner for quite some time… By now taking the feed from the 98.3 HDx signal they are allowed a power boost as the new 220 watts ERP remains within the 98.3 coverage contour… but was outside 88.5 contours given KMUZ’s much lower 88.5 power output… Convoluted? Yes.. but apparently all within the same rules that the big boys use like ClearChannel use to blast us with HD2/HD3/HD4-repeating analog translators…

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.