Radio Happenings In The Capitol City

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Radio Happenings In The Capitol City

This topic contains 62 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Broadway 3 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

FRIENDS OF MARION COUNTY have filed for a Silent STA for low power KIQY-LP/SALEM, OR due to poor signal coverage.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Broadway
    Participant

Actually had a hard phone contact with the applicant shortly after applying…said they were never going to build…didn’t really say…prob due to money…said they got FCC application done for free.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The applications for Salem (all 3) were done by the illustrious out of town engineer for Common Frequency in Davis, CA. Todd Urick (although his name only appeared on one of them, he did all three). The object was to make sure all availabilities were filed on so they didn’t become translators. The 94.3 application sat there until recently with no-one actually working on it until it came to critical mass. From what I heard some out of town guy wants to save it but clearly with no time to work it out, they apparently either faked it or ran a test on a stick to get enough data for filing for a license to cover the construction permit and upon approval immediately file for an STA to go silent and get 6 months to figure it out. I mean really, an antenna on a 15 foot pole surrounded by 60 foot trees is not going to work (I’ve been to the proposed site). Word is the FCC is frowning on this kind of behavior but they are understaffed to run down every one of these to make sure they are on the up and up. Filing for a license means you not only have your main antenna ready to go, but your studio and EAS stuff all in place.

Not to mention KRZZ on Mt. Hood with 94.3 line of sight right into Salem.

bossjock
    Participant

Anyone know (or care) why KBZY didn’t pursue a translator deal in the last window?

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by  bossjock.

W7PAT
    Participant

“Anyone know (or care) why KBZY didn’t pursue a translator deal in the last window?”

I’ve been wonder that myself for quite some time.

e_dawg
    Participant

Salem doesnt have any local FM stations. Majority of the fm stations are located in the Portland, corvallis/Albany or Eugene metro area

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Salem doesnt have any local FM stations”

Salem has two full service FM stationsand 3 LPFM’s (two CP’s and 1 dark).

http://bit.ly/2kOPagq

Salem also has 3 AM stations, one Class B, one C and one D.

http://bit.ly/2kOVPHh

Also, there are 4 translators assigned to Salem.

Screamer
    Participant

Ok, Salem has local stations … and it looks like most of them are non-coms or religious. A couple of the AM’s seem to be the only commercial stations actually trying to program for the Salem area. Does KBZY or any of the others have translators? I can imagine it would be hard to gain a foothold in the marketplace without a decent translator.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

EXTRA MILE MEDIA, INC. has filed for an STA to operate Contemporary Christian KHPE (HOPE 107.9)/ALBANY, OR at reduced power after a lightning strike damaged equipment.

dodger
    Participant

Craig_Adams
    Participant

This from All Access:

FRIENDS OF MARION COUNTY has requested an extension of its Silent STA for KIQY-LP/SALEM, OR because “we are still working out transmitter issues.”

Andy Brown
    Participant

transmitter issues?

They don’t have a site. Never did. They are currently licensed and dark at a location that has no power and no nearby phone/cable, soft soil requiring an extensive permit process from Marion County for any ‘tower’ more then 20 feet high, and another 6 months isn’t going to solve their ‘transmitter problems.’

As mentioned before, the frequency is not a good one since full power co channel KZZR on Mt. Hood has line of sight into Salem.

Broadway
    Participant

Speaking of no power…KYTE Newport with CP to move to Independence Expires September 3rd this weekend…last I heard there was no power to site and they were planning to run off of a diesel generator. Things have been postponed there for months due to GM health and weather issues. There’s a tower but equipment runs on solar.

e_dawg
    Participant

Speaking of KYTE 102.7, have they move yet? Since their CP expires today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.