Radio Disney is goig off in 2021

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Radio Disney is goig off in 2021

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

I read on another site that Disney is pulling the plug on Radio Disney next year. They are laying off a lot of people and cutting some programming and Radio Disney is one. I don’t know how popular the service is these days, but all the peak I think 1640 was Radio Disney. It came on in 1996. Maybe the popularity has died out.

Chico
    Participant

The layoff will affect 36 full and part time employees. It is surprising there were that many left, TBH. Radio Disney was down to one AM station in Pasadena and contracts to simulcast on a bunch of HD2s around the country. Programming and listening in that age group was the first to move to streaming platforms, this is the result.

Interestingly (well, to me I guess) is that the Radio Disney programming in Latin America will continue. Maybe because of less internet availability??

Up in Seattle a real oddity with the Radio Disney frequency. I don’t know of too many stations that have been able to serve 4 owners and really 3 formats with the same call letters, calls that actually made total sense in each case. 1250 KKDZ first adopted those calls when a local outfit up there started Kidstar Radio- “radio just for kids.” Underfunded and maybe ahead of it’s time, or just couldn’t compete with the Mouse, they went broke and Disney picked up the license. KKDZ made perfect sense, so they kept it. When the Mouse sold out, it went to a company programming South Asian music and talk, specifically focused on the “Desi” community. Pronounced “Dezzy” in English; the calls still make sense.

semoochie
    Participant

“Popularity” is an interesting choice of words!

Desi Arnaz was Cuban. That’s not the same “desi”. This one originates from sanskrit and is pronounced with a “dental D” as “They’ See”.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, I get KKDZ 1250 down here on the Oregon Coast. I think they are an Ethnic station these days. I do remember Kidstar, as my partner wrote for RW for years interviewed the GM there. As you mentioned went to Radio Disney. Portland had 1640, leased it from Crawford for a time.

Borderblaster
    Participant

24/7 to core 6-11 demographic, what a stupid concept
    Good Riddance

Master of Disaster
    Participant

Everything gets fuzzy with time, but I want to say that 1640 changed to Radio Disney Portland in 2002 after stunting with the same Disney song for several days.

Programming and listening in that age group was the first to move to streaming platforms, this is the result.

Exactly. My anecdotal evidence is that most people under the age of 30 (who would have been the target demo years ago) don’t voluntarily listen to any broadcast radio, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they can’t name even one radio station especially if they didn’t grow up in the location they presently live in.

Edit/add:

24/7 to core 6-11 demographic, what a stupid concept

At least it was a unique concept done on a band mostly associated with news/talk formats. Even though I was never in said demographic for it.

Borderblaster
    Participant

“unique” maybe but definitely 24/7 derpy

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The Best Stocks Now radio show on KBNP mentioned the closing of Radio Disney last week. I thought that I was hearing a repeat broadcast because Radio Disney sold all of its stations, saved for the one in Pasadena, CA a few years ago.

I am some what inclined to agree with BorderBlaster’s observation on this one. Why did a radio format designed for teens and tweens ever need to broadcast during the overnight hours? The Radio Aahs format from the 1990s also ran 24/7. Was it that when operation across all time zones is taken into account, there are very few hours of the day that the network could sign on? For example a 6:00 AM sign-on in the Eastern time zone would mean that programming would start at 3:00 AM Pacific. Conversely, a 10:00 PM sign-off in the Pacific time zone would necessitate a 1:00 AM sign-off in the Eastern time zone. If the network had affiliates in Hawaii, then it would need to program around the clock, although there’s no reason that the individual affiliates couldn’t sign on and off at appropriate local times.

1640 played the song “Be Our Guest” for the entire day on February 16, 2003 as a stunt before flipping to Radio Disney. I recall hearing the on-air stunting, but I had to find one of Craig Adams’s history posts for the date.

The Latin American Radio Disney stations are all FM, and at least one of them only broadcasts the format during the summer, when school is not in session. The ability of the Spanish language version of the format to keep going makes me wonder whether it is run by an independent company that has licensed the Radio Disney trademark and adapted the format for a Spanish speaking audience.

semoochie
    Participant

As I recall(proving that I am not Jeff Sessions 🙂 ), Disney Radio programing was aimed at kids and their parents.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by semoochie.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by semoochie.
    Chico
    Participant

The times I monitored Radio Disney, it seemed a worthy cross-promotion tool. Lots of talk about Mouse Theme Parks, Mouse movies coming out, Mouse cruise liners and of course Mouse-adjacent musical acts galore. Not to mention ads from other big companies who were in cahoots with the Mouse. RD seemed to serve it’s purpose well. “Ratings” were NOT the name of the game at all. I am sure that the only reason that we don’t have a robust RD network today is simply because the platform shifted online for this cohort.

paulwalker
    Participant

Related and Unrelated, I remember 1250 in Seattle as KYAC, Seattle’s first station programmed for African Americans.

DimensionZ
    Participant

Wasn’t Seattle 1250 historically KTW?

semoochie
    Participant

Yes

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.