Quality doc on Chicago on CNN

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

I must say CNN docs are pretty good. Their Chicago doc is absolutely must-see for fans of music, both pop and beyond. They really nail it down here. Totally enjoyable.

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

CNN docs? I am puzzled Paul. Are you talkin’ Doctors or documents?

paulwalker
    Participant

Documentaries, Dan. But I guess you already knew that…thanks for the kidding.

Andrew
    Participant

Chicago is slipping: they have surrendered their #1 title for bedbugs to wimpy old BALTIMORE! In fact, Chicago has plummeted to #3 in bedbugs:

Chicago No Longer Number One In Bed Bugs

Sorry, I need a doc’s prescription to watch CNN these days!

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

I really didn’t know what you meant there Paul. So, the CNN Chicago documentary is about music, and not about the huge number of shooting deaths in 2016?

Andrew, lol!

paulwalker
    Participant

Sorry, Dan, I should have been more clear.

The CNN documentary on “Chicago”, the group, is quite good. I would highly recommend it as it will be played over and over here in January. Nothing like the jazz tracks that were just “guessed at” at KNHC!

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

Ah, the group Chicago. OK, i understand now. Yes, great band! Their song “Harry Truman” is so apropos with the coming political tide.

paulwalker
    Participant

Indeed.

Chicago was my 70’s soundtrack. I’m sure for others as well.

As for the KNHC reference, myself and Chris Forhan did a jazz show in ’77. I think we can now admit, (some 40 years later), that we had no idea what we were doing. We just cued up jazz tracks from the most popular jazz artists of the era. I doubt it made any sense, but it was ground roots radio from the great KNHC, when this station was a multi-formatted station that still had a targeted goal of being diverse. That changed in the the following decades, and so be it.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I do not subscribe to cable; otherwise I might have enjoyed watching the Chicago documentary.

What I find surprising is the way that many of the cable networks that have been around since the 1980s have changed into something quite different from what they were initially. CNN started out as a news channel. MTV started out as a music video channel; now its a pop culture channel with no music videos. AMC was originally a channel that aired old films; in recent years, the channel has become known for original material, including _Mad_Men_. A&E was originally meant to be a commercial network carrying programming similar to PBS’s _Masterpiece_Theater_; now they produce reality TV programming.

Langston
    Participant

Don’t get me started on the History Channel or TLC.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Please enlighten me! 🙂

Andy Brown
    Participant

They have all had to adjust due to brutal competition from many directions.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

One “clue” I recently read about was the reality show, _Here Comes Honey Boo Boo_, which was broadcast on TLC until recently.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I have been told by several folks I need to watch this documentary. I, too, am a huge Chicago fan. Robert Lamm, is one of my musical heroes and a founding member.

The 11 piece band I’m in covers “Beginnings,” “Dose Anybody Really Know What Time It Is,” and “25 to 6 or 4.”

Chicago was my first concert as a young teen. I have seen them several times including touring with Earth, Wind and Fire. That was killer.

A rock band with horns was pretty cutting edge when they started out back in 1967. Glad they got into the R&R Hall of Fame. Well deserved.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.