Programming Failures in Radio

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Screamer
    Participant

I didn’t want to hijack the Alpha Media thread. Andy’s comments got me thinking of a new topic:

<<Radio as an industry has largely failed and the reasons are numerous, and it’s their own fault.>>

Andy,

Don’t you think it is partly due to automation and ‘point and click’ programming? It seems like for us old guys, we physically touched lp’s, carts and cd’s and ran air shifts where we segued every song. We were exposed to a stations entire catalogue while we worked there. If you were involved in the music side at a station, (I was at a couple), you really developed a feel for the format you worked. That, coupled with feedback you got from callers (Yes, young people, we used to get calls and requests during live radio shifts), you knew how to tweak the playlist to cater to your audience in a market, as opposed to just looking at some consultant’s researched recommendations from New York and clicking “schedule” on your software. The true programmer can adapt the automation and scheduling to work in their favor but, how many of today’s programmers really understand how to do that?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Radio’s failure is not because of automation which has been around since the 60s. It’s not because automation became computerized either. No, the failure is one of geographical indifference. Clusters in multiple cities all programmed the same hasn’t worked. Duh! This has been a problem since long before point and click programming dating back to the earliest networks and affiliate rules when all you could own was a handful of licenses nationwide.

Screamer
    Participant

<<Clusters in multiple cities all programmed the same hasn’t worked. Duh!>>

I get that part. I just feel like programming is truly becoming a lot art because of all the clusters. These big corporations think “whatever works in New York will work everywhere.” You have PD’s who have never actually listened to the audience in a local market to program. All they care about is so-and-so’s research and or consultant’s list. And with that, you have lots of tracks that would please an audience on a local scale that are dropped, lost and ultimately forgotten because corporate only cares about what works in New York or LA.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.