Pro-Life, unless you're a Syrian refuge child

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Pro-Life, unless you're a Syrian refuge child

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Pretty distressing photos.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lynzybilling/where-syrian-children-sleep

Just more proof those that label themselves “pro-life” are far, far from it.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Keep abortions legal, keep them safe, and make them rare.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Works for me. And virtually anyone else I’ve ever spoken to or heard from that’s not a religious zealot.

Broadway
    Participant

>>Works for me.
    Take in a Syrian family…right behind you.

Amus
    Participant

duxrule
    Participant

@Broadway; what say you about THESE Bible verses:

Hebrews 13:1-2 ESV

Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Matthew 25:35 ESV

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,

Leviticus 19:33-34 ESV

“When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Proverbs 14:31 ESV

Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him.

Deuteronomy 10:19 ESV

Love the sojourner, therefore, for you were sojourners in the land of Egypt.

Deuteronomy 23:15-16 ESV

“You shall not give up to his master a slave who has escaped from his master to you. He shall dwell with you, in your midst, in the place that he shall choose within one of your towns, wherever it suits him. You shall not wrong him.

Proverbs 31:8-9 ESV

Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy.

John 15:1-27 ESV

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. …

Ecclesiastes 5:1-20 ESV

Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. To draw near to listen is better than to offer the sacrifice of fools, for they do not know that they are doing evil. Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore let your words be few. For a dream comes with much business, and a fool’s voice with many words. When you vow a vow to God, do not delay paying it, for he has no pleasure in fools. Pay what you vow. It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay. …

2 Timothy 3:1-4 ESV

But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,

Luke 12:34 ESV

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Matthew 24:1-51 ESV

Jesus left the temple and was going away, when his disciples came to point out to him the buildings of the temple. But he answered them, “You see all these, do you not? Truly, I say to you, there will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.” As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the close of the age?” And Jesus answered them, “See that no one leads you astray. For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray. …

Matthew 5:1-48 ESV

Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying: “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. …

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Ah! A pithy reply from the hypocritical bigot in the back pew.

First, you’ll note the topic on the thread was about your favorite insane predilection. I know confusion is likely your resting state as opposed to a passing condition, but do try to keep up.

To wit, when you shut down women’s health clinics and make access to abortion difficult or even impossible, abortions still happen. Only now they’re happening in a way that’s completely unsafe. I.e. Congratulations “Christian” conservatives! You’re forcing women, primarily those whom are low income, back to the days of a back alley abortion with a rusty hanger.

And of course anyone who’s even moderately informed (and not a deluded nut job) understands that restricting or even outlawing abortions does nothing to stop the practice from occurring. You’ve simply driven it underground, made it unsafe, and are disproportionaly victimizing members of our society whom are the least able to support themselves. Truly, it’s another moment Jesus would be proud of.

I could also point out that “Christian” conservatives are simultaneously the absolute worst in regards to sex education and access to contraception. You know, the two things that do more to stop abortions from happening than literally *anything* else you could be doing. That’s what some might call “ironic”.

Feel free to ponder this during your next self-congratulatory, back slapping session among your like-minded (I use the term loosely) colleagues in latter day medievalism.

As for the actual topic of the thread, I know this will come as a surprise to many, but yet again you have entirely missed the point.

“Take in a Syrian family”, you blurt in a simple minded and sarcastic fashion.

That’s exactly what I and millions of *actual* Christians are advocating for, you dullard. As I live in a downtown high rise, the proposal is a bit metaphorical as opposed to literal, but in no way changes the underlying sentiment.

I welcome people from anywhere to settle here in the United States. In our country. In our state. In our city. And yes, in my building. I wouldn’t think twice about having a family of Syrian refugees living next door. Let me remind you again: People fleeing from terrorism and tyranny are themselves victims; not terrorists. In denying asylum to a family fleeing from ISIS, you are in point of fact supporting the ideology of the radical Islamists. Nice friends you got there, B.

Were these individuals feeling from Norway you and the other right wing dip shit brigade wouldn’t have the slightest issue. You take issue with this particular situation and these particular people because you continue to falsely conflate Islam with Islamic terrorism. Oh, and that they’re not white.

To be clear: You are a racist and a bigot.

And as metaphors can be amusing, please allow me to leave you with one: Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Take in a Syrian family…right behind you.

Jesus… Hey, had I the resources, I would in a second. I don’t have those resources, largely due to the fact that I adopted a couple more kids than initially planned. (such is life, right?) And I would be looking forward to sharing a lot of life experiences, learning about their history, sharing mine, and getting everyone to a good place.

I know for a fact that the vast majority of those people seeking a safe place to live their lives and tend to their families are no different from us. And on that basis, they deserve a shot at what we have too.

We stand for that too!

Or, some of us do.

Clearly, the bat shit, coward faction of our society is running a bit too thick for my blood.

Broadway
    Participant

This whole thread is moot…we don’t have any say in this matter as the government is controlling this issue.
    I’ve been out for a breather as things got a little caustic in the room.

Amus
    Participant

This whole thread is moot…we don’t have any say in this matter as the government is controlling this issue.

I’ve seen this meme pop up on Facebook.

This appears to be the current go-to response of so called Christians when called out for their blatant hypocrisy on this matter.

“In the end it doesn’t matter what my beliefs tell me to do, the big bad Government won’t allow me to practice them anyway.”

It’s as if there was a “Norman Coordinate” moment in Christendom until someone in the Meme Factory came up with this little nugget to both absolve them of whatever guilt they might feel and simultaneously feed their hatred.

It’s really quite brilliant.

missing_kskd
    Participant

They have to do that. Someone will think it up, because the alternative is grim.

No discussion on WHY making choices for other people is a bad idea. Can’t have that. It would mean their opponents actually might be right about it. And that means the dogma has a crack in it too.

Most of us see that crack, do the right thing, and there are no worries. Being a decent human is a priority over rigid, and blind compliance.

Again, has to happen. The first one who thinks it up, puts it out there, it’s value is immediate and obvious, and it spreads like a viral meme. Because it is. Also Jesus.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Aren’t there a lot of Christians in the government? Who put them there?

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

“I’m being persecuted”!

Right. Sure you are. Christians in America: The most over represented, coddled, protected, privileged class of people in the history of history whom want for basically nothing.

You have freedom of speech. Freedom of religion. Freedom of assembly.

You live in a country where the vast majority of the populace either openly identifies as some form of Christian denomination and where more than 95% of all of our elected officials at the local, state, and Federal level are Christian.

You cannot be denied a job based upon your religion. Nor a place to live. Nor access to services. You do not live in fear of being imprisoned or killed for your religious beliefs. Your church’s actually enjoy tax except status in spite of the fact they’ve in many cases become active political organizations in direct colluded alignment with Republican politics and their attendant media.

Ah, but here’s the two things that really drive you bible thumping loons to distraction:

1. The United States Constitution specifies the separation of church and state and actively outlines a secular society.
    2. There can be no religious tests regarding either citizen ship nor the holding of governmental office.

The only “persecution” you deal with is having your ignorant ramblings, whether they be racist or misogynist, or simply an expression of pure assholery, called out for what they are.

Allow me to quote myself: Boo-Fucking-Hoo. Wow, life is tough.

Ah, Broadway. Captain of the good ship Douche-Nozzle.

“This whole thread is moot…we don’t have any say in this matter as the government is controlling the issue”.

1. Informed discussion is never moot. Perhaps it seems so the willfully dull, but history does not have your back in asserting such.
    2. Whom do you think the government is run by? It’s “We The People”, you dolt. What you actually meant to say was, “I’m a hypocritical, racist, hack whom would deny political asylum to children fleeing from terrorism and the active threat of torture and death due to their religion and the color of their skin, and unless the government’s official position ends up matching my own I’m going to throw up my hands at the complete unfairness of it all”.
    3. Provably your reading comprehension and critical reasoning skills are near nil, but I and others are going to continue to point out these inequities so long as you continue to inflict your inane and often offensive blather on others in a public forum. I know, so unfair! You must feel…wait for it…persecuted! Allow me to underscore that feeling for you: “Happy Holidays”!

“I’ve been out for a breather as things got a little caustic in the room”.

Gee, I wonder what engenders such poignant responses to the little gems you drop here from time to time?

1. It’s because you often say things that are racist and ignorant and offensive.
    2. It’s because you commonly make assertions that can easily be disproven as untrue.
    3. It’s because you rarely if ever, in the words of Missing, “show your work”.
    4. It’s because you rarely if ever answer a direct question; regardless of whether it’s polite or not. That alone is enough to make most people a bit antagonistic, slick.
    5. It’s because you are intellectually lazy; finding a link to a news story or more often an editorial from somewhere that you foolishly believe “proves” what you’ve stated.
    6. It’s because you seemingly lack any kind of self-awareness or introspective abilities. Which is both lamentable and hilarious all at the same time.
    7. It’s because despite repeated entreaties from a wide array of people, you continue to think cutting and pasting bible verses “proves” anything. Wait, it does prove two things. One, you’re being a deliberately offensive and idiotic. And two, you’re doing more to drive people *away* from Christianity than a legion of Roman Centurions. By all means, keep up the fine work.

Yup, it’s a mystery! Why oh why does the dialogue herein become quite pointed and challenging from time to time? If only there was some kind of answer to be found!

Here’s a suggestion: Quit being a dick. I know Conservative Jesus is all about both wealth acquisition and being terrible to everyone whom is not a white, heterosexual, and Christian, but Historical Jesus would find you utterly horrifying.

The latter is the fellow I have quite a bit of admiration for. And I find you utterly horrifying. It seems Historical Jesus and I have something in common. Who’d a thunk?

skeptical
    Participant

Amen!

Vitalogy
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.