Portland’s 1950’s Xmas Record – Label Has Shady Past

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History Portland’s 1950’s Xmas Record – Label Has Shady Past

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

As requested, here are the lyrics. Some words might be misconstrued in the first line. It was very hard to get the verses, as I had to listen many times to figure them out. I picked up more lyric words when a verse was repeated but just couldn’t crack the beginning. Now I can’t get the song out of my mind, it’s catchy!

________________________________________________________________________________________

“ROCK AND ROLL DOLL FOR CHRISTMAS” Lyrics & music by Audrine E. Handa, 1958.

“Make it happen, your full brass suites, and love with ruuu,”

“Well I want a rock and roll doll for Christmas, just like you.”

“You can have your diamond rings and special to call.”

“Well I want a rock and roll doll for Christmas made just like you all.”

“If I, could talk, to Mister Santa, he would hear my plea,”

“He’d pull strings, do everything, to wrap, you up, for meeeee.”

“In my stocking on the Eve, a note, with words so blue.”

“I want a rock and roll doll for Christmas, just like you.”

(Instrumental guitar verse)

“If I, could talk, to Mister Santa, he would hear my plea,”

“He’d pull strings, do everything, to wrap, you up, for meeeee.”

“In my stocking on the Eve, a note, with words so blue.”

“I want a rock and roll doll for Christmas, just like you.”

“Give me a dolly for Christmas.”

“A rock, and roll, dolly just like youuuu.”

________________________________________________________________________________________

Thought it would be interesting to find out about Portland song writer, Audrine Handa. She was born in February 1919 and is still alive. As far back as 1946 she was a pianist, entertaining at the “Monte Carlo” nightly as of June 1960. By 1982 she was playing 30’s & 40’s Jazz at “Bogart’s Joint” (406 N.W. 14th Ave.)

On February 11, 1983 we get a glimpse into her performances, thanks to The Oregonian: “There’s no one quite like Audrine Handa. Handa sits next to the door at Bogart’s Joint and plays 30’s & 40’s songs on a battered upright in a chattery room of beer drinkers. A petite woman who’s likely been at the business of singing and playing piano many years. Audrine has a small voice, occasionally wide vibrato, just enough range to make whatever song she’s singing, and an endless pack of cigarettes.”

By September 1984 Audrine had moved to the “Brazel’s Lounge” in Lake Oswego playing weekends. Two months later she was back in Portland at “The Chinese Village” (420 S.E. 82nd & Stark) Fridays & Saturdays. In September 1986 Audrine was back at “Bogart’s Joint” Friday & Saturdays. In October 1987 she was heard Friday & Saturdays at “The Rafters” (220 S.E. Spokane). It was mentioned in February 1992 Audrine would celebrate her 70th birthday playing romantic tunes of the 30’s & 40’s Bogarts.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.