Portland subchannels/Diginets

This topic contains 110 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  mwdxer1 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 106 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Author

washnotore
    Participant

Another diginet might be coming to KOIN in the future. Nexstar is planing to add CBN News to it’s local stations. KOIN is already broadcasting CBN’s 700 Club. A few months ago. This program was seen on KPTV.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I hope not. What a waste of bandwidth for KOIN. I remember talking to their CE years ago when the digital started and they did not want to add any diginets as KOIN had the best OTA pq. I guess corporate said they had to add them. But adding a 4th diginet, would take away from the pq. I sure hope they would not drop either of the current ones, Get TV or Decades. Both are great channels and I watch them both a lot.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Adding CBN News would be a major surprise to many KOIN viewers, indeed. If they do, I’d assume that it would land, more than likely, on 6.4, and I think it’s likely that Comcast will take it. Wouldn’t be surprised if KOIN’s deal with CBN News includes a long term commitment on the carriage contract. This raises the likelihood that channels like Movies might end up on KOXO or one if it’s sister stations. And we still don’t know what KGW plans to do with KGWZ, once the latter returns to the air, or what KGW plans to do with the recently vacated 8.4 after Estrella TV’s departure last year. 2019 might turn out to be an interesting year.

mwdxer1
    Participant

A couple of the CE’s I have talked to, are looking forward to 3.0, where they can add as many sub channels as they want. That may be 5 years away, and even longer for translators. It would be great to a dozen or so sub channels on each channel.
    But there may be some musical chairs with sub channels coming and going.

Broadway
    Participant

This could be the new distribution point for cable???

mwdxer1
    Participant

When I talked to KGW after Estrella was dropped, I was told that it did not meet their programming requirements any longer. But at the time, 8.4 was still up in the air as there was no plans to add anything new. But of course than was several months ago. You may be right, 2019 may be interesting. Once 3.0 gets going, anything is possible.

Viewing 6 posts - 106 through 111 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.