Portland subchannels/Diginets

This topic contains 110 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  mwdxer1 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 111 total)
  • Author

msndrspdx
    Participant

The TeeVee Guyd Facebook page, quoting Broadcasting & Cable, reports that Tegna (formerly Gannett) and Cooper Media (owner of the Justice Network) have announced the formation of a new subchannel network due to start in January 2018. The channel is called Quest, which will carry programs dealing with natural history, engineering, science, and military history. It is planning to run on all of the Tegna-owned TV stations across the country in the following areas:

Portland, OR (KGW), Washington, DC, Denver, Seattle/Tacoma, Tampa Bay, FL, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Phoenix, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New Orleans, Charlotte, NC, Cleveland, St. Louis, San Antonio, TX, Louisville, KY, Norfolk, VA, Sacramento, CA, Buffalo, NY, Portland, ME, Jacksonville, FL, Austin, TX, Corpus Christi, TX, Spokane, WA, Columbia, SC, Greensboro, NC, Macon, GA, Tucson, AZ, Little Rock, AR, Grand Rapids, MI, Knoxville, TN, Boise, ID, Bangor, ME, Tyler/Longview, TX, Twin Falls, ID, Abilene/Sweetwater, TX, San Angelo, TX, Waco/College Station, TX, and Beaumont, TX.

The network will be ad-supported. KGW currently carries Justice Network and Estrella TV, in addition to its NBC and local programs. Will KGW simply add Quest on 8.4, or will one (or more) subchannels move to KGWZ to make room for Quest? My guess is that Estrella moves to KGWZ to ensure that Comcast runs Quest, since that would be a content change and not a physical channel change. I’d assume that Comcast would carry Estrella off KGWZ in that scenario.

Also of note: Bounce, Escape, Grit and Laff were sold earlier this year by Katz Broadcasting to EW Scripps for a reported $300 million. Subchannels aren’t considered small services anymore.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Quest sounds like a great idea, but over time it will probably be dumbed down like so many predecessors like Discovery, A&E, History Channel, The Learning Channel, CNN, Cable Heath Network (remember that one?).

mwdxer1
    Participant

Quest does sound interesting. Hopefully it will be on Ch8. As we get do get them out here at Megler.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Randy, you bring up a good point. What material will Quest have to draw on? Thoughts go to the material that Discovery/Animal Planet has, much of it original. CBC/SRC in Canada has a big archive to draw from. So do NHK in Japan and ABC Australia.

Also, Quest now has a Facebook page. A question has already been asked about the Los Angeles market (SF and NY have no Tegna owned or operated stations, either). The response is that they expect to have Quest up in LA in February of next year…details to come.

By the way, I recall a night on A&E in the mid-1980s which featured a profile of conductor Claudio Abbado, followed by a Abbado-conducted performance of a Mozart mass with such talent as Jessye Norman. That package likely has sat on the shelf, untouched, for many years. The “Arts” half of the A&E name rarely gets a chance to be seen nowadays. If I ran A&E, I’d run that kind of material on Sunday nights, just for a change of pace.

washnotore
    Participant

Come to think of it. I have noticed KGW OTA signal hasn’t been steady of late. Which means a new set of encoders are in the works. If KGW is going to add a fourth stream.

I don’t see KGWZ-LD going away anytime soon. This low power station along with KPXG-LD. Put out the best signal from Skyline. Both LP Station will have repack down the UHF band sometime next year.

Jbpdx
    Participant

I’m currently in Kansas City and am amazed at the number of over-the-air channels they have for a media market much smaller than Portland—including new TV stations designed specifically for diginet subchannels. Able to finally see Movies!Network again for the first time since they forced KVOS/Bellingham off the internet.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, I wish we had more diginets. I do still have my big dish and I get some there, I cannot get on the OR coast. A few are beginning to stream like Comet.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Washnotore, you may be right about those two LPTVs. The five Watch TV channels likely will need to be stepped down as part of the repack process as well. I think the WTV channels will end up simulcasting on the same RF (actual) channel, and will end up simulcasting on the same virtual channel. My previous guess that they’ll be assigned virtual channel 4 or 5 (maybe 11; I’d assume that KPDX will move to virtual 13) still stands.

Jbpdx
    Participant

You mean Watch TV stations are actually going to start broadcasting again?

mwdxer1
    Participant

When I talked to someone at “watch TV” a year ago, the plan was still to come back on including getting ch28 on out here (Astoria) on. They got a CP to go from analog to digital a couple years back.Watch TV did test in the 1990’s running Home Shopping (If I remember correctly).

msndrspdx
    Participant

And that test was in analog, not digital.

With the repack coming next year and the FCC designation as a digital 3.0 test site, it seems to me that Watch TV needs to get something going soon. Stations in Arizona are already repacking, thanks to the T-Mobile expansion project now rolling out there. According to the RabbitEars blog, several stations there (including several LPTV’s) are asking for STA’s to move channels because T-Mobile advised stations that they must move. Some got Dec. 1 deadlines, others got deadlines set for January or February.

The RabbitEars blog also confirms that Quest is likely to air on the Tegna-owned station in Phoenix sometime in January 2018. Nothing on RE’s listings yet confirming a pickup in Portland (or anywhere else so far).

mwdxer1
    Participant

Some owners of CP’s out here on the coast have taken the “let’s wait and see” attitude. I think their plan is to let everything settle before sinking money into something that does not work out. But the 3.0 just sounds like it is the ticket the broadcasting industry has been waiting for. Almost unlimited bandwidth and better signal penetration. One thing is for sure is there was quite a bit of signal loss going to digital and dropping power. Yes, the ch 28 test was in analog. Long before digital. According to an engineer, the Ch 28 transmitter is still there on Megler, but they need to switch to digital.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

I haven’t been able to pick up KGWZ-LD for a couple of days. Are they OTA?

jr_tech
    Participant

Getting it fine in Hillsboro right now. Signal strength is slightly above my last reading.

msndrspdx
    Participant

The Facebook page for Quest has posted its first teaser promo today. The tag at the end says “Coming January 2018,” but no other details. It promotes itself as coming “from the people who brought you the Justice Network.” The network website is also up and running. The “Find Us” page on the website requires only your zip code. It shows Portland as a Quest market, but no station or channel information yet. Tee Vee Guyd Facebook page is already full of speculation as to what moves where to make room for Quest as a result of the Sinclair/Tribune deal, assuming the FCC approves it. Cozi has also announced schedule changes effective in January, as has Antenna TV.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.