Portland subchannels/Diginets

This topic contains 110 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  mwdxer1 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)
  • Author

mwdxer1
    Participant

I believe the same company that owns KVOS Bellingham owns KFFV 44 Seattle. Both KVOS and KFFV run METV. METV is KVOS’s main channel (12.1). METV I believe is on a KFFV sub. Also with companies like Dish & Direct, each market has a different circumference. I think Portland covers from Longview WA to Salem. Seattle on the other hand covers from the Canadian border to Centralia. Any station(s) in that area are considered that market. I believe most full powered stations are carried on Dish/Direct from that DMAs.

msndrspdx
    Participant

According to RabbitEars, KFFV Seattle does indeed take METV off KVOS 12.1 Bellingham and rebroadcasts it on one of Ch. 44’s subchannels in Seattle. Pretty clever, actually.

All of the Portland based network stations have repeaters in Eugene, so the networks actually have two outlets there, and so do some of the subchannels (METV being one, if memory serves). The PBS station in Tacoma has repeaters in Centralia and Longview/Kelso, but they have never applied for one in Vancouver/Clark County. The OPB repeater in Nyssa/Ontario, OR runs head to head against the PBS Idaho flagship in Boise.

washnotore
    Participant

Many years ago the FCC allocated UHF channel 14. For Non-Commercial use for Vancouver. But for some strange reason, the PBS stations in Seattle and Tacoma felt. The was no interest and money. To provide public/educational programing to Southwest Washington.

So back in the 1960’s. One local school district. Was able to get a LPTV station setup. To broadcast KTPS-TV from Tacoma. That is until Cable TV came to Vancouver in 1979. Than at that point local educational program had found a new home on cable TV. Along with it came KCTS by the early 1980’s..

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Correction, Corvallis-Albany-Lebanon has KGW, KATU and KPTV/KPDX translators on Peterson Butte, but Eugene has no Portland translators.

msndrspdx
    Participant

RabbitEars reports that KATU will soon add the American Sports Network on subchannel 2.4. The channel, which is Sinclair owned, will be renaming the service Stadium at a date TBA. The RabbitEars blog reports that Sinclair’s O&O station in Tucson, AZ, is also adding the network. I would therefore assume that it will run on all the Sinclair O&O’s in the near future. No word yet on if ASN/Stadium will run on Comcast Portland.

mwdxer1
    Participant

A Sports Network would not be my choice as there are already many existing deginets Portland does not have.

msndrspdx
    Participant

I’d tend to agree. They’re streaming under the new name at their new online home, WatchStadium.com . RabbitEars reports that with the addition of all the Sinclair O&O stations, Stadium starts out with 46 markets onboard. Several DTV America stations are running it or will shortly. The Stadium website suggests that they have access to Mountain West and Patriot League college sports events. The stream suggests that they’re filling local ad breaks (for those who don’t have local ads yet) with a series of quick sports factoids. Nice logo, though. KUNS (Univision) Seattle will carry it in the Seattle area. (KUNS is sister to Portland’s KUNP.)

msndrspdx
    Participant

New RabbitEars blog entry reports that Stadium will officially launch tomorrow (6 September 2017). Those of you who can should rescan your TV and see if KATU has activated 2.4 yet. Also, T-Mobile has given 120 day notifications to several UT & AZ stations (including repeaters) that they need to move their RF channels to make room for expanding cellphone and data services. T-Mobile has offered financial help to transitioning stations. Several Utah stations have filed for STA’s to move before the window opens later this fall because TM started the 120-day clock. Expect more to follow.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I did a scan early this morning and found Stadium to be up and going at 5 AM.Not my choice, but more variety.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

This might not be the best place for this question, however it involves TV so it probably doesn’t need its own thread.

Near the beginning of the month, the Master of Disaster received a call from a family member who said their TV is having trouble receiving the main KATU 2.1 feed OTA while still having access to 2.2 and 2.3. Answers to other basic questions revealed they continue to receive all other Portland full-power stations and rescanning did not help; the TV still says ‘signal scrambled’ when tuning to 2.1. All that’s known about their TV is they bought it in 2015. So, does anyone know if KATU made any changes to the signal that might cause a TV to have difficulty receiving just the main station?

DarkStar
    Participant

Do they receive Stadium on 2.4? Maybe they need to delete the channel completely and then rescan.

mwdxer1
    Participant

That is what I was going to suggest, but to delete everything and re-scan the whole TV band. That way if there was a glitch, it should take care of it.

Broadway
    Participant

Rescanned recently and saw KEVE 36.1-4 added to lineup…also some KPTV and KPDX translators near Salem.
    Going to fix a problem with my outdoor TV antenna tomorrow and rescan again to see anymore I can get…now get 50+ channels.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

Maybe they need to delete the channel completely and then rescan.

Last time I talked to them they’d done a rescan after “losing another channel” and everything reportedly went back to normal for them. Thank you everyone anyhow!

Jbpdx
    Participant

Check out the Pluto app for online devices (AppleTV, Roku etc.) It’s like a free cable TV system with dozens of channels. Movies, news, sports, classic TV, travel, music. Also has its own channel guide.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.