Portland subchannels/Diginets

This topic contains 110 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  mwdxer1 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
  • Author

Jbpdx
    Participant

It’s been months since any TV station added a new subchannel in Portland. Meanwhile, we still have KGW/Tegna letting KGWZ 46.1 go to waste showing a live shot of the skyline 24 hours a day.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

I like KGWZ.

washnotore
    Participant

While I agree that we need more diginets here in Portland. I really don’t see anything happening between now and the end of 2018. All be it that the spectrum repack now getting underway.

Some of our local Full and Low power TV stations above RF channel 36. Have there marching orders from Uncle Charlie. To get plans turned in to be ready for repack.

You won’t see any changes from low power stations right away. Until the big boys make there final moves first. Or if a station group owner. Decides to do some type of channel reshuffle on there own. Like K-2/Sinclair…

mwdxer1
    Participant

I have not talked to the CE at KATU for a while, but there are still plans to add to 2.4. I was hoping “Charge!” would be there, but Charge as well as The Comet do stream. Charge! is not as exciting are I thought it would be. I guess Charge! went to KUNP. With KPTV running 720p,there is also a possibility that they may add a 12.4. Time will tell, but with the repacking, they may put anything off for a while. I have no idea when KOIN & KATU will be changing channels either.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Part of it may be Comcast. They take some subchannels, but not all. KPXG 22, for instance, carries seven streams, including the Qubo children’s channel and Telemundo. Most Telemundo stations show LATV as a subchannel, but LATV is nowhere to be seen here. Comcast only carries Ch. 22’s primary channel, Ion (formerly Pax), and nothing else off that channel.

And we still don’t know about the Watch TV channels yet. Two of them have been approved by the FCC to move their RF channel positions, but no indication yet as to when they’ll actually start prigramming. Anybody know of a website or Facebook page for them?

mwdxer1
    Participant

So none of the “Watch TV’s” ever returned to the air in Portland? Still no activity on 28 out here on the North Coast. Also CPs for 15, 36, & 38. I called the owner in Florida of those and they still plan to get those on it time. I have been hoping with getting 2-6-8-10-12 all digital with subs (16 OTA offerings now), more of the other CPs would start getting their channels on, but nothing as yet. With this FCC merry-go-round of constantly playing musical chairs, it does not leave the TV stations comfortable where they feel they can branch out and add more offerings, as who knows but the FCC may do. I would never have believed the FCC would sell off so much spectrum. First was 70-83, then 52-69, and now 39-51. I see some stations are moving back to their low VHF channels.

jr_tech
    Participant

“So none of the “Watch TV’s” ever returned to the air in Portland? ”

As far as I can tell, they have not. I regularly check the frequencies for ch 16, 20, 35, 38/36, 41/15 using my Icom 8500 reciever and have detected nothing local. With my yagi pointed south, I can detect a ch 20 translator in Albany, but that is the strongest of the translators that I can detect that are co-channel to WatchTV frequencies. There are several weaker ones in various directions. I can weakly detect most of the translators that serve Astoria, with my Yagi pointed NW.

msndrspdx
    Participant

The TBD Nerwork’s Facebook page reports this morning that KUNP has added TBD on 47.2 Portland/16.2 LaGrande. The announcement refers mistakenly to the Portland transmitter as 16.2. No carriage on Comcast yet, but the network website does stream the channel online.

This is the first subchannel for KUNP, whose main channel still runs Univision.

jr_tech
    Participant

47 has had TBD and Charge on 47.2 & 47.3 for several months (since around April)… this is very old news.

Jbpdx
    Participant

WatchTV stations have been off the air for years. I don’t understand how they can have a license from the FCC to broadcast and sit on dark channels. Same for KGWZ, which offers a static, non-revenue-generating placeholder video feed.

It’s nice that networks we already get stream online. However, the networks we don’t get do not stream, e.g. Movies! Network.

Meanwhile, stations around the U.S. are still adding networks to their channel lineups.

johnf
    Participant

“The TBD Nerwork’s Facebook page reports this morning that KUNP has added TBD on 47.2 Portland/16.2 LaGrande.”

I’ve always been VERY curious about this but have not asked until now — how can a TV station that is licensed to LaGrande — TWO HUNDRED SIXTY-ONE miles from Portland — be considered by the FCC to be officially within the Portland market area? I mean, I can understand a Salem station, or a Vancouver station, or maybe even a Longview station being considered part of the Portland market. But La Grande?

In another example of a somewhat distant station, KVOS in Bellingham is, I think, listed as part of the Seattle-Tacoma market. But Bellingham is only 88 miles from Seattle.

I am well aware that KUNP has a translator in the Portland area, but doesn’t an official determination of market have to be based on the station’s primary signal, which in KUNP’s case is WAAAAAY over in Union County?

Interestingly enough, I just checked, and the distance from Portland to Bellingham is EXACTLY the same as the distance from Portland to La Grande — 261 miles! So…. if KVOS decided to plant a translator in Portland, could it officially then be “KVOS-TV, Bellingham-Portland”….???

washnotore
    Participant

Back in the 1960’s and 70’s. When Medford had only two TV stations. Full time ABC programing was piped in. To local Cable Telesion from KATU in Portland. Yes KOBI and to a lesser part KTVL. Did show ABC programing on a part time basis.

Also in parts of Southern Oregon and Northern California. KPTV in Portland and KTXL in Sacramento also provided. There own non network programing. Much like you see from Antenna TV and Me-TV from today. Of course now KPTV and KTXL are now full time Fox stations.

jr_tech
    Participant

I fail to see the problem… KUNP is licensed to LaGrand and KUNP-LD is licensed to Portland. Two different stations, both owned by the same company, so there is no dispute over the use of similar call letters. Each station could run different programming or the same if they choose, as long as they identify correctly, IMHO.

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=kunp&arn=&state=&city=&chan=0.0&cha2=69&serv=&type=&facid=&asrn=&list=0&ThisTab=Results+to+This+Page%2FTab&dist=&dlat2=&mlat2=&slat2=&NS=N&dlon2=&mlon2=&slon2=&EW=W&size=9

semoochie
    Participant

The country is divided into a number of non-overlapping television markets and La Grande is in the Portland market, for lack of another one close by. I suppose the next closest is Boise.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Ch. 7 in Boise (NBC) has several repeaters in the eastern third of Oregon. The westernmost one, I think, is the one serving the John Day/Canyon City area. That station runs on NBC’s Mountain Time Zone feed.

KUNP consistently uses a “KUNP Portland” logo on air and LaGrande is rarely mentioned at all.

One has to wonder why stations in other parts of the country are adding subchannels while there’s no action to speak of here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.