Portland Radio Project (99.1FM) Expands to 24/7

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Portland Radio Project (99.1FM) Expands to 24/7

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    msndrspdx
    Participant

The Portland Radio Project (99.1 FM) announced on their Facebook page last night “with the cooperation of our friends at the ‘Q’ Center” that PRP is now expanding to 24/7 programming, effective today.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

What will happen to KPQR-LP?

DarkStar
    Participant

The Q Center requested cancellation of their license (KPQR-LP) due to unforeseen circumstances. Portland Radio Project (KSFL-LP) received notification from them and was able to request their authorization be reissued without the time-share condition.

Edit: The official letter is in the correspondence folder in the FCC database.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_det.pl?Application_id=1681585

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Thanks. It is too bad to see KPQR-LP go. I liked the music they played, on those rare occasions that I had a chance to listen.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

PRP just moved their studios over to Day’s Music on SE Foster.

jr_tech
    Participant

Did Day music move or close after all these years?

Nice to have PRP on a 24 hour schedule, the music is interesting (mostly stuff that I have never heard before) and the signal in Hillsboro is much better than the other transmitter. Almost ok on some small portables (Eton E-5 & Sangean DT-160) in some areas of the house.

Andy Brown
    Participant

I recall Day music closing several years ago.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Neither the PRP antenna on the KBPS tower nor the Wild Planet antenna atop the Weatherly Building on SE Belmont and SE Grand have a clear shot through the pass in the West Hills (US 26) so in theory neither location should have much if any groundwave signal over in Hillsboro. Other then skywave, it’s hard to imagine the groundwave ricocheting around the canyon pass and emerging on the Beaverton side in very good shape let alone the additional mileage out to Hillsboro.

jr_tech
    Participant

Oddly, the signal is relatively insensitive to antenna direction. With the APS-9/Sony F1HD combo, anywhere between 30 and 150 degrees will yield semi-decent reception, although it seems to be the clearest at about 95 degrees. I’m guessing knife edge diffraction or scattering off of the West hills ridge, but really don’t know. The reception is consistant, but there is a bit of multipath related distortion.

DarkStar
    Participant
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I was driving NW Evergreen Parkway, and I had a fairly listenable signal between about SW Cornelius Pass Rd. and NW 185th. However, the signal vanished as I made my way into Beaverton on US 26. This is a fun mystery!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

From my home near downtown Hillsboro, I only hear KODZ on 99.1.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This morning, I encountered a “pocket” of reception at the intersection of NE Cornell and NE Brookwood. I distinctly heard a KSFL ID.

jr_tech
    Participant

I tried the free on-line Longly-Rice coverage prediction model and see a nice lobe of 40 dBuV/m or more between hy 26 and 8, which covers much of Hillsboro.

http://lrcov.crc.ca/main/

Perhaps I screwed up, but I used:
    45 31 38 N, 122 39 3 W, 60 meters agl, 100 watts, 99.1 mHz, 0dB antenna gain, horizontal for the transmitter/antenna. (tried the vertical option, not much change). Accepted the defaults for ground conductivity and other unknown (to me) parameters.
    I plotted the output using 45.3, -123.5 as the lower left corner and 45.9, -123.3 as upper right corner.

Looks a bit optimistic… would the antenna gain be less than 0? (I think not, since the 100 Watts is erp)

At my location, I have to point my antenna almost directly South to null out KSFL and hear KODZ.

Andy Brown
    Participant

On the Canadian eh free L/R, just go with 0 dB gain for the antenna and 100 W ERP (0.100 kW).

I didn’t bother recreating your work as it is most likely correct.

I did run a more detailed Longley Rice analysis and while I didn’t spend a lot of time tweaking it, the results pretty much agree. This map also has the FCC 60 dBu and 40 dBu contours. You can see the FCC 40 dBu contour runs between Aloha and Hillsboro.

click on image for larger version

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.