Oregon Levies Bicycle Tax

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

Years ago, I was told that I was crazy to think that bicycle riders would ever have taxes targeted against them. Bicycle riding is a healthful activity, and behaviors that are in the public interest, such as those that promote health, would never be taxed, would they?

It has happened: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2017/07/oregon_just_passed_the_only_bi.html

Oregon is levying a $15 tax on bicycle that have wheels with a diameter of 26″ or greater and a retail price of $200 or greater. This rule exempts children’s bicycles and (possibly unintentionally) folding bicycles (such as Bike Friday).

cbaravelli
    Spectator

If it moves, tax it.

I share your outrage and pain. You do live in Origami state. Kalifornia and Warshington do similar stupid stuff near all the time.
    But Chico, what about the homeless bicycle crisis?

Andy Brown
    Participant

In the interest of clarity, this tax is not on “bicycle riders,” rather it is on the sale of new bicycles.

The tax issues in Oregon are numerous and diverse. This doesn’t add to or subtract from that in any significant amount. I’d rather see a metro area (or statewide) tax increase that was aimed at tourists and not residents.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Feel pity for bicycle stores and stores that sell bicycles. Dealing with the Department of Revenue ain’t easy:

Oregon bike tax is coming: Here are a few quirks in the law and how shops feel about it

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I should clarify that the purpose of the tax is pay for the building and maintenance of bicycle and pedestrian paths. Used bicycles are also exempted from the tax, so in that sense, this is not a direct tax on cyclists.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.