Portland Area TIS Stations

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  nosignalallnoise 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Are any of the Portland Area TIS stations still operational?

530 is (or was) WPGH710 transmitting from the Portland International Airport. I was in Northeast Portland earlier today (at the 60th Ave Fred Meyer), and on 530, I heard a weak signal with synthesized man’s voice repeating a callsign that was something different. I have heard the same robot voice station in Hillsboro.

1610 operated briefly from Beaverton City Hall about 10 years ago.

1660 operated briefly from the Washington Park Zoo earlier this year. Even when I drive by the zoo on US 26, I only hear background noise or out-of-town skip.

Andy Brown
    Participant

You can perform a TIS search here: https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/travelers-information-stations-search

It takes a while for the server to display the results.

A search for Oregon yields results that are too large to copy and paste, but the Port Of Portland WPHG710 , City of Portland WQWR275 and City Of Beaverton WQWS230 all have licenses showing as active.

You can obtain details for each result by clicking on the call sign which will take you to the ULS listing.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Thanks for the link. I see that the WPHG710 (PDX airport) icense was granted in 2015 and is valid through 2025. I also see that Washington has many, many licenses for 530 kHz. I will listen closely and use these search results to hone my search for the mystery robo-voice.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

DarkStar
    Participant

Beaverton tests theirs every couple of years, but it’s pretty much reserved for emergency use.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The “robo-voice” station I am hearing on 530 kHz is WPVS690, Ridgefield, WA.

Here is a map of the transmitter location.

Click here to see The Mighty 530!

jr_tech
    Participant

How did you make the id? I can hear it only faintly from Hillsboro, but the observed direction would be about right for Ridgefield.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I saw Craig’s post (above) and then I tuned in 530 on the car radio while parked in the lot at the Hillsboro Costco. The noise level was low enough that I could match the callsign. Unfortunately, the noise level in my neighborhood has climbed so high that I cannot ID the station from here. I have utility line noise, a neighbor’s plasma TV, and a piece of Frontier Fios equipment to deal with here.

jr_tech
    Participant

Interesting that the Costco lot is pretty clean. Bad news about the Fios stuff, is the interference fairly severe?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Funny thing, one of my favorite spots to DX AM and FM is the Home Depot lot at SE 82nd and Johnson Creek Rd. It’s at the foot of Mt. Scott to the East but pretty flat in the other three directions. If I park in the middle of the lot there is little EMI from all the traffic signals. Great both under clear skies or grey and works daytime or night. If I ever buy one of those little HD portables like jr tech has (forget the model) that’s one place I would take it. Nighttime AM reception on the in between channels can sometimes be so full of distant information it’s hard to pick them apart. Turning the car 90ยบ sometimes helps but sometimes it all goes away.

Best DX antenna I ever had was when I was working at 1480 kHz in Allentown. When I started there, I would do weekly transmitter inspections at about 3 AM on Sunday Morning. With the transmitter off, the three tower array was a perfect trap for anything on 1480 around the country and using the mod monitor I once heard 4 signals at once but could only identify 3 of them, two of which were stations we had to protect.

jr_tech
    Participant

Ok, I took the Eton E-5 and a 4 foot diagonal loop out to the middle of my back yard, max distance from houses, power lines and dog fences, and fairly clearly heard what sounded something like this repeating continuously:

“you are listening to WPDX 6 90 broadcasting on 5 30 AM”

My wife thought it said “WPDF”, both close enough to “WPVS”. Heading was about 35 degrees, same as my bigger remote-tuned loop, but reception was much better.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The FIOS interference is a buzzing sound of about the same pitch as the IBOC buzz heard on the FM band. The interference is most severe at the low end of the band. If I bring a pocket radio next to the power supply unit for the FIOS equipment, the buzz is pretty loud. However because the loop is relatively far, the only frequency where I can detect the buzzing on that antenna is 530 kHz. I also note that if I unplug the FIOS equipment, allowing it to run on its backup battery, the interference goes away.

I think that the main advantage of the Costco lot is that some of the parking spots are very far away from overhead power lines and from other noisemakers, such as plasma TVs. The parking lot at my work, on the other hand, has an elevated noise floor at the high end of the band that sounds like a constant hiss. At first, I thought that this was receiver front end noise, but I was wrong.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

It turns out that the FIOS power supply and the AC adapter for the modem are sending a noticeable amount of hash into the AC lines. If I take a portable radio near my breaker panel, I can hear the buzzing. I unplugged both of these and turned off a noisy light. I was then able to hear “You are listening to WPVS six (pause) ninety…” the rest was unintelligible to me. I tuned in shortly before 8 PM, so there were some co-channel signals.

I need to buy some quality RFI filters!

Borderblaster
    Participant

10w WPVS690, 530kHz Ridgefield, WA says Gee Creek rest area closed for annual maintenance, hold it in until Cowlips County.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Out here on the North Coast I had a 1500′ Eastern Beverage for many years. Heard & QSL’d a lot of low power stations on the East Coast on clear frequencies. NY, PA, VA, etc on 1610-1700 range, before all of the X Banders came on. It is unbelievable how a few watts can go coast to coast under the right conditions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.