Portland Area Original Call Letter Meanings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History Portland Area Original Call Letter Meanings

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    yahmit
    Participant

We need to contact the News Register and have them dig into thier archives. There was an article about the call letter switch in the paper and it had to do with being more Yamhill County oriented. I can still remember the article in the paper had a picture of the new KCYX sign. I had no luck doing an online search, then again, this happend 30 years ago.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Joe: I’m always thinking in the past, didn’t know you got back in business. Where are you?

Yahmit: Years ago when I was scrolling through The News-Register (by 1979 there was little written about KCYX. I was trolling to pick up anything I could see quickly.) I ran across I believe it was a full page ad for the new calls KCYX. That ad would have been run on July 1, 1979. There might have been an article also written since KMCM spent some money on the paper that day, which they hadn’t done for a long time and the paper was very silent about KMCM during that time.

With that date you could find the article I’m guessing pretty easily. If it’s not on the July 1, 1979 date, look a few days later or forward, it’s got to be there. I was at the McMinnville Library about 20 years ago doing KCYX history research and since then OHS Library has the microfilm but their hours open are very restrictive. The last time I checked they were only open a day or two a week for just a few hours in the afternoon.

semoochie
    Participant

Just to connect some loose ends about KKCW: First, what happened to Craig Walker’s post immediately before I agreed with him? Also, it looks like the Wikipedia reference is a misquote of yours truly! Years ago, I wrote on this website that “…but KUPL beat them to the punch!”. They added “and KWJJ”.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Craig Walker’s post disappeared? Thought that wasn’t possible on this new setup. I’d like to find out how. That would be handy. Yes I to have contributed information to Wikipedia and later found at times info was changed or deleted.

yahmit
    Participant

Craig,

I’ll try to get over to the Mac or OHS Library or the News Register and look it up.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

That would be great. It would put this finally to rest. Thanks!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

UPDATE: After 21 years of searching, finally found the entire meaning for the calls KWBS. The stations calls stood for the owners full name. I had been searching for his middle name. My buddy Mike Kolb sent me an ad mentioning the station in 1930 after the calls had changed to KVEP, so Thanks go to Mike.

27 KWBS William Berthold Schaeffer (owner).

msndrspdx
    Participant

KSLM, of course, stands for SaLeM. KWVT means Willamette Valley Television. KMHD originally stood for Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham, the original owner/operator of that radio station, now in the hands of OPB.

Best, Mike 8)

semoochie
    Participant

MHCC remains the owner of KMHD.

motozak3
    Participant

KKOV = VanKOuVer

KOAP = Oregon Agricultural (College) Portland

KOAB = Oregon Agricultural (College) Bend (both named after their predecessor, KOAC)

KPAM = PAMplin (currently)

KPOJ = Piece Of Junk (because somebody had to say it eventually…)

KATU = phonetic spelling of “K-Two”

KBSP = Beaverton Salem Portland (Home Shopping Club station on channel 22 that preceded KPXG)

KNMT = Northwest Minority Television

KORK-CA = ORegon (former Home Shopping Club station that was on channel 35)

KORS = ORegon Salem

KPDX = ICAO code for Portland International Airport; Union Station’s railway code (if you drop the “K”)

KPTV = Portland TeleVision

KPXG = PaX Net (the programming service that preceded PAX, I and ION)

KRCW = Rose City CBS-Warner (although I’ve also heard Columbia-Wilammette being used)

KUNP = Univision Portland

KWBP = Warner Brothers Portland (preceded KRCW)

Craig_Adams
    Participant

motozak3: Thanks!

When KOAP-TV was signing on the air in 1961, it was announced the call letters would stand for: “Oregon Air Portland.”

Call letters outside of the Portland area go on the thread titled: “Oregon & SW Washington Original Call Letter Meanings List” http://feedback.pdxradio.com/topic/oregon-amp-sw-washington-original-call-letter-meanings-list

[Side Note: Anyone reading these threads keep in mind, they were posted years ago, you need to read the additional postings for the most current corrections and additions.]

motozak3
    Participant

Old cable company/public access call letters:

KCOV = COx Cable Vancouver

KCOL = COLumbia Cable (had QVC programming most of the time, it seemed)

KTCI = Tele-Communications Inc. (bought out Columbia Cable in the mid-’90s)

KCOM = COMcast

As I recall, KTCI kept its call letters through the whole AT&T era, switching only when Comcrap moved into town.

BGTV = Battleground TeleVision (BG community access)

CVTV = Clark-Vancouver TeleVision (mostly city/county government stuff)

FVTV = Fort Vancouver TeleVision (Vancouver community access)

TV ETC = Educational Service District #112 Educational Television Consortium (school access/instructional programming)

semoochie
    Participant

As I recall, KBSP was named after the company that bought some of the Home Shopping Channel stations, Blackstar Broadcasting, thus,(I’m guessing here.)Blackstar Shopping Portland. For those who really didn’t know, KPOJ is a legendary call, standing for one time owner, the (Portland) Oregon Journal. 620AM revived it for its Oldies format.

motozak3
    Participant

For those who really didn't know, KPOJ is a legendary call, standing for one time owner, the (Portland) Oregon Journal. 620AM revived it for its Oldies format.

Yes, I realise that. My definition was a tongue-in-cheek stab at the political-talk shitfest that it turned into after ¢heap ¢hannel took it over, nothing more. Look at what I wrote in parentheses next to it; that’s a hint.

semoochie
    Participant

My comment was meant to be informational and aimed at anyone unfamiliar with the situation. It was certainly not toward you. I understood your intent to be “tongue-in-cheek”.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.