Portland Area Original Call Letter Meanings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History Portland Area Original Call Letter Meanings

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    oregonradioguy
    Participant

Eugene

KPNW – Pacific Northwest

KUGN – Eugene (city where located)

Albany

KHPE – K-Happy (now goes by Hope 1079)

Newport

KNPT – Newport (city where located)

San Francisco

KSFO – SFO is the airport call sign

K101 – their location on the FM dial

KFOG – named for the “fog” of San Francisco

semoochie
    Participant

I’m with Craig Walker on this one: It was my understanding that the calls were chosen for Country/Western with the added advantage of relating to the company name.

pdxgary98
    Participant

As I understood the company name and the format of KKCW so I to agree with Craig and semoochie… so don’t try to stump the jock.

silverdollar
    Participant

I’m with Craig Walker on this one: It was my understanding that the calls were chosen for Country/Western with the added advantage of relating to the company name.

From what I was told the format was going to be CW until the day it went on the air and it changed to Love Songs…

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your input.

The KKCW vote continues. So far it’s 2 for Columbia Wallamette and 2 for Country Western.

johnf: I will make a correction on the KZRI calls.

kjunguy: There are at least an additional 40 some calls from the Portland area that were assigned to stations that were Construction Permits and never used on the air. KJUN was on the air, although briefly in Portland, so I’m going to make an exception since it was a one time unique listening event. What do the calls stand for?

littlesongs
    Participant

Great research Craig!

The pot reference is funny, but not entirely accurate. KBOO was named for something more innocent and far less subversive: Halloween.

“Its call letters, K-“BOO” were chosen because the incorporation papers were signed on Halloween.”

http://www.current.org/cpb/cpb805k.html

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Littlesongs: I too first heard the Halloween story. Then while talking to former K-Boo people during that period, I found out there was a deeper meaning. Something not talked about publicly in an earlier time. My information comes from the K-Boo website. Check it out:

http://kboo.fm/node/34

Listener_Pete
    Participant

It’s not an offical source, but Wikipedia says: In 1984, KKCW intended to sign on with a country format. The C and W in the call letters stood for country and western, but music stations KUPL and KWJJ beat them to the punch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KKCW

littlesongs
    Participant

Craig, I stand corrected. Forgive me for repeating a meme that I heard years ago. (I knew about the connection to Lorenzo Milam, but I don’t remember this “Berkeley Boo” story being referenced in “Sex & Broadcasting” — a book everybody in public and community radio should read at least once.) I ought to pester Gray Haertig for some more history next time we work together. Have you had a chance to shoot the bull with Foggy? If not, you two should definitely get together!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

I’ve known Gray for years. He’s been a great source of information. Just saw him at the KOIN Sylvan transmitter get together, when they were getting ready to turned off the analog signal, next morning.

silverdollar
    Participant

In 1984, KKCW intended to sign on with a country format. The C and W in the call letters stood for country and western, but music stations KUPL and KWJJ beat them to the punch.

This is the story I was told at a family reunion.

Listener_Pete
    Participant

You have a family, Trixter? 😉

silverdollar
    Participant

A couple…

😉

kjunguy
    Participant

Craig,

KJUN stood for Cajun. These call letters were previously used in Puyallup for a country station. If KJUN had not been moved to the Portland area it would have been used for a country station in Tillamook.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.