Pope Francis once again proves that he really gets it.

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Pope Francis once again proves that he really gets it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Brianl
    Participant

I have been a big fan since the word go, as Francis practices humility, empathy, and compassion.

This is sure to ire some in here. 🙂

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pope-suggests-better-atheist-hypocritical-catholic-131306690.html

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) – Pope Francis delivered another criticism of some members of his own Church on Thursday, suggesting it is better to be an atheist than one of “many” Catholics who he said lead a hypocritical double life.

In improvised comments in the sermon of his private morning Mass in his residence, he said: “It is a scandal to say one thing and do another. That is a double life.”

“There are those who say ‘I am very Catholic, I always go to Mass, I belong to this and that association’,” the head of the 1.2 billion-member Roman Catholic Church said, according to a Vatican Radio transcript.

He said that some of these people should also say “‘my life is not Christian, I don’t pay my employees proper salaries, I exploit people, I do dirty business, I launder money, (I lead) a double life’.”

“There are many Catholics who are like this and they cause scandal,” he said. “How many times have we all heard people say ‘if that person is a Catholic, it is better to be an atheist’.”

Since his election in 2013, Francis has often told Catholics, both priests and lay people, to practice what their religion preaches.

In his often impromptu sermons, he has condemned sexual abuse of children by priests as being tantamount to a “Satanic Mass”, said Catholics in the mafia excommunicate themselves, and told his own cardinals to not act as if they were “princes”.

Less than two months after his election, he said Christians should see atheists as good people if they do good.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

I almost posted this article myself.

I then didn’t bother as it will be ignored, deflected, or distorted by the few most in need of the messages being shared by The Pope.

Catholicism aside, boundless hypocrisy doesn’t seem to be any kind of issue for “Christians” of virtually all stripes to blithely support political policies that are completely and vigorously at odds with the teachings of Jesus Christ.

The J Man would have no problem with accepting immigrants, protecting minorities, providing a robust social safety net, a livable minimum wage, and guaranteed health care for all regardless of their net worth. The concepts of zealous nationalism and unfettered capitalism are incompatible with his teachings.

Vitalogy
    Participant

We’ve got a few of those hypocrites on this board for sure.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Francis has bacon’s number to a ‘T’ and as I said it was clear when bacon went for drumpf as a single issue voter that he was throwing his effort to convince us all of his piousness as a Catholic under the bus.

Francis coming out with a statement like this is only icing on the cake. bacon is a fraud as are most single issue voters as are most phony conservatives and republicans. What Jesus taught (whether depicted accurately by secular history or not) is not what bacon practices. Or what Broadway practices. Then there’s Herb and dork. What a quartet of poseurs.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Pope St. Francis took his name from a 10th to 11th century monk known as St. Francis of Assisi, who was born Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone.

Fr. Richard Rohr, whom I have quoted here, is a disciple of St. Francis of Assisi.

There is plenty of material online about St. Francis of Assisi so no need for me to bore with something you may not care about. The 70s movie, “Brother Sun and Sister Moon,” is about the life and times of St. Francis. But suffice to say, this Pope reflects the name he has chosen.

Broadway
    Participant

>>The concepts of zealous nationalism and unfettered capitalism are incompatible with his teachings.

You guys don’t know your Bible…God has all kinds of “favorites” ie: the chosen state of Israel and it’s people…read up on it…also…the Disciples…chosen.

He said that some of these people should also say “‘my life is not Christian, I don’t pay my employees proper salaries, I exploit people, I do dirty business, I launder money, (I lead) a double life’.”

Of course people who call themselves Catholic and defraud others are wrong and bad representatives of the faith.

Here are some other things the Pope has said:

In an interview with the Italian Catholic media outlets TV2000 and Blu Radio to mark the end of his jubilee Holy Year of Mercy, Pope Francis described his anguish at meeting a mother who lost one of three children, and he called abortion a “horrendous crime” and “very grave sin.”

“There are absolutely no grounds for considering homosexual unions to be in any way similar or even remotely analogous to God’s plan for marriage and family.”

Te pope adds: “It is unacceptable ‘that local Churches should be subjected to pressure in this matter and that international bodies should make financial aid to poor countries dependent on the introduction of laws to establish ‘marriage’ between persons of the same sex’.”

Andy Brown
    Participant

Hold the bacon on that, please.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

“You guys don’t know your Bible…God has all kinds of “favorites” ie: the chosen state of Israel and it’s people…read up on it…also…the Disciples…chosen.”

Each of us brings our own history and experience when we study anything historically written. It is critical to interpret such writings from the framework of the person living in that time, whether it be Jesus Christ or Abraham Lincoln. Only then can we actually grasp the meaning being created. The question then is, How much meaning?

skeptical
    Participant

Safe bet says no way Bacon gets in Heaven.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Heaven is made up.

edselehr
    Participant

Hence the safe bet.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

From Fr. Richard Rohr:

You become the God you worship. In other words, your image of God creates you. If you get the image of God wrong, everything else that builds on it is going to be rather inadequate. That might seem like an overstatement, but let’s recognize how that’s been true in Western Christianity in particular.

The operative image of God for most Christians (except for the mystics) is a powerful monarch, usually an old white man sitting on a throne. It’s no accident that the Latin word for God, Deus, came from the same root as Zeus. At the risk of shocking you, let me say that Christianity hasn’t moved much beyond the mythological image of Zeus. Yet this is not the image of God revealed to us by Jesus—a vulnerable baby born in an occupied and oppressed land; a refugee; a humble carpenter whose friends were fishermen, prostitutes, and tax-collectors; a political criminal executed on a cross. In other words, Jesus shows a vulnerable God much more than the almighty one Christians often assume.

The only people who envision God as an old white man on a throne also believe in Santa Claus.

Christ made himself “vulnerable” and laid down his life, but he brought himself back to life by his own power, so yes he is “almighty.”

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

I put has much veracity into Cthulhu as I do your equally made up nonsense.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.