Pope Francis Continues To Be A Nightmare For The Christian Right

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Pope Francis Continues To Be A Nightmare For The Christian Right

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

This week, he has announced a visit to Cuba that will have the Rick Santorums of the world foaming at the mouth. Here are five other reasons the Pope is keeping the religious right awake at night.

1. He Has Compared Them To ISIS

“You just can’t say that, just as you can’t say that all Christians are fundamentalists. We have our share of them (fundamentalists). All religions have these little groups,” he said.

2. He Voiced Support For Obama’s Nuclear Deal With Iran

“… we entrust to the merciful Lord the framework recently agreed to in Lausanne, that it may be a definitive step toward a more secure and fraternal world.”

3. He Called The Ideology Of The Christian Right An ‘Illness’

“when a Christian becomes a disciple of the ideology, he has lost the faith: he is no longer a disciple of Jesus, he is a disciple of this attitude of thought … it is a serious illness, this of ideological Christians. It is an illness”

4. He Doesn’t Hate LGBT People

“(They’re) out-of-step with American Catholics, who are, by a wide majority, supportive of marriage equality and full civil rights for LGBT Americans.”

5. He Declared a ‘Holy War’ On Capitalism And Wealth Inequality

“Inequality is the root of social ills … as long as the problems of the poor are not radically resolved by rejecting the absolute autonomy of markets and financial speculation and by attacking the structural causes of inequality, no solution will be found for the world’s problems or, for that matter, to any problems.”

http://wp.me/p1w9KV-Vsv

Amus
    Participant

A window into what the RWNJ’s think of Francis:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3279891/posts

Deane Johnson
    Participant

It appears it’s time to begin impeachment proceedings in Rome.

Amus
    Participant

It’s called;

#POPEGHAZI

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I love the words of St. Francis of Assisi, “Make me a channel of your peace.”

I love that this pope chose to take the name of that particular 11-12th century monk.

jerry1949
    Spectator

So much of what this Pope says is taken out of context and distorted.

At any rate, I personally as a Catholic think he’s naive about economics, but he’s hardly a “nightmare” for “the right.”

He’s the Numero Uno defender of innocent life in the womb and of traditional marriage.

And there is not one iota of doctrine that he can or will change.

BTW, St. Francis, who lived in the 12th and 13th centuries, was not a monk. He was a friar. Monks are cloistered and friars go out into the world and work with and among the laity.

Traditionally, friars and monks have get-togethers and enjoy fish and chip dinners. They do their own cooking, dividing the duties such that there are fish friars and chip monks.

skeptical
    Participant

Personally, speaking as a Catholic, you’re a disgrace to the Church.

Amus
    Participant

“At any rate, I personally as a Catholic think he’s naive about economics, but he’s hardly a “nightmare” for “the right.”

And things that you think in spite of all empirical evidence to the contrary.

In fact, all empirical evidence shows that the economic policies you support hurt the very people that the Pope (and Jesus himself) champion.

But, as you have confirmed here, you cannot be swayed by mere facts.

You’re not likely to get anywhere arguing with authoritarians.
    If you won every round of a 15 round heavyweight debate with a Double High leader over history, logic, scientific evidence, the Constitution, you name it, in an auditorium filled with high RWAs, the audience probably would not change its beliefs one tiny bit.
    Authoritarian followers might even cling to their beliefs more tightly, the wronger they turned out to be.
    Trying to change highly dogmatic, evidence-immune, group-gripping people in such a setting is like pissing into the wind.

-Bob Altemeyer-The Authoritarians
    -Page #244

duxrule
    Participant

“Traditionally, friars and monks have get-togethers and enjoy fish and chip dinners. They do their own cooking, dividing the duties such that there are fish friars and chip monks.”

You should take that act on the road. It would be hilarious to watch you starve in different cities. :-p

Amus
    Participant
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

Aren’t most of the people thought of as “The Christian Right” in the US Protestants?

jerry1949
    Spectator

That’s true. Most of the Christian Right doesn’t see this pope or any pope as an authority, but I suppose they have to acknowledge and respect that he does have much power and influence.

Amus
    Participant

Probably most.

Then you have your Mormons & Mennonites.

But recall that the GOP co-opted many Conservative Christians along with Southern racists.

Many in both groups share the trait of enthusiastic ignorance.

Easily excited, mobilized and not given to rational thought.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

“BTW, St. Francis, who lived in the 12th and 13th centuries, was not a monk. He was a friar. Monks are cloistered and friars go out into the world and work with and among the laity.”

Yes, of course.

But once again, you have shown your ability to miss the larger point. Which I’ve come to expect.

Vitalogy
    Participant

The pope is a cross dresser. Some might call him a fag.

Regardless, he’s just another charlatan spewing a bunch of bullshit.

And the catholic church as an institution approves of the sexual assault of children.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.