Police radios must not be selling

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  nosignalallnoise 2 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Andy Brown
    Participant

Walkie-talkie and radio systems maker Motorola Solutions Inc <MSI.N> is looking into a possible sale, Bloomberg reported, citing people familiar with the matter.

Potential buyers could include private-equity firms and defense contractors including Raytheon Co <RTN.N>, Honeywell International Inc <HON.N> and General Dynamics Corp <GD.N>, Bloomberg reported, citing one of the sources. (http://bloom.bg/16rCCCp)

The 87-year-old company is working with financial advisers as it looks for a buyer, Bloomberg cited the sources as saying. Stagnant earning seems to be one of the issues.

http://tinyurl.com/pbjo3qa

As you may recall, Motorola split up. The police radios and broadcast two way equipment part of Motorola is what the above is referring to. The cell phone and set top box part of the operation was purchased by Google (which included a ton of patents). Google then sold the set top box part of split to Arris (not Harris, Arris).

This is truly the last vestige of the original Motorola. Motorola was founded in 1928 by the Galvin brothers as Galvin Manufacturing. The company began to make car radios in 1930 and manufactured larger radio sets for homes starting in 1937. During World War II, Galvin made hand-held, two-way FM portable radios—which became known as “walkie-talkies”—for the use of the U.S. military. In 1947, the company changed its name to Motorola Inc. Six years later, it opened a large television assembly plant in the Chicago suburb of Franklin Park, where Motorola made the first television sets to sell for under $200. An all-transistor car radio appeared 1959; later, the company pioneered eight-track tape players for automobiles and began to sell an all-transistor television set, the “Quasar.” In 1958, two years after Robert W. Galvin succeeded his father Paul as company president, Motorola started a semiconductors division, based in Phoenix, Arizona. No doubt, the name will live on.

http://tinyurl.com/mo63scn

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The name lives on as “Motorola Solutions.” Chinese two-way radio maker Hytera filed an antitrust lawsuit against Motorola Solutions in 2017. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Solutions

cbaravelli
    Participant

Motorola Solutions pulled the trigger first;
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/bluesky/originals/ct-motorola-solutions-hytera-lawsuit-bsi-20170314-story.html
    and for cause.
    Motorola Mobility is powned by Lenovo. Their personal computers phone home to Shenzhen.
    American engineering companies and firms are at a distinct disadvantage. Many no longer hire indigenous. H1Bs are preferred as they create less personnel problems. They work harder and smarter compared to American engineers. It’s not we’re dumber. Our universities and engineering colleges are.

edselehr
    Participant

So, America needs to invest more in engineering colleges and universities, along with STEM programs feeding into them. I agree.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The H1Bs don’t surf the Internet and post on message boards like this one. This observation is not mine; it came from a colleague who was remarking to me about the work ethic of his colleagues who were in the US on work visas.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“It’s not we’re dumber. Our universities and engineering colleges are.”

Not true. You’d be hard pressed to document that with real numbers. It’s not a lack of course material or the presence of STEM at both top and middle tier colleges and universities. It’s about drawing students in and keeping them engaged in our current environment where kids see shitheads like drumpf who made billions of dollars the same way he’s running this country, with the intellect of a 6th grader and no experience.

The problem is not the availability to learn at top schools which long ago embraced STEM expansion. It’s the quality of high school education and the fact that fewer American students want to work hard anymore. They want a college that’s easy so they can get a degree. Knowledge is less important to today’s American college bound student then ease of obtaining a degree.

Here’s the data on 15 year olds. You can see the U.S. is clearly behind the leaders.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2013/12/american-schools-vs-the-world-expensive-unequal-bad-at-math/281983/

Here’s some additional input on why students don’t complete STEM once they start or end up out of field after completion. It’s mostly because of the disconnect found by today’s generation of students in methodology of teaching, not the lack of available courses.

https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2016/11/22/colleges-need-find-new-ways-engage-students-stem-fields-essay

semoochie
    Participant

Andy, there was a little radio shop next to the KKEY transmitter site. The owner told me that he invented what became the Motorola car radio but Motorola stole it away from him! It was a pretty interesting and lengthy story, as I recall and had to do with shielding but it was probably about 40 years ago so I don’t have anymore information.

cbaravelli
    Participant

All I know is when I attended public schools, United States was the second best in the world behind Germany (either one). Today, the U.S. ranks in the high 20’s and low 30’s in reading, riting and rithmatic.
    It all began with New Math. As my friend Emilio Miranda asked, “3 times 4 equals X. What the f[iretr]uck is X?

Andy Brown
    Participant

“there was a little radio shop next to the KKEY transmitter site. The owner told me that he invented what became the Motorola car radio but Motorola stole it away from him!”

I seriously doubt there is any grains of truth in that.

“In 1930, the American Galvin Manufacturing Corporation marketed a Motorola branded radio receiver for $130.”

Paul Galvin (one of two Motorola founders) is credited as the man who first recognized the potential of the car radio and capitalized upon Americans’ fascination with radio for motor vehicles and while on the go. He worked with engineers to build and install the world’s first commercially successful car radios. Around the same time, Galvin and his brother started a manufacturing company in Chicago to enable home radios to operate on household electric current instead of batteries.

compiled sources

jr_tech
    Participant

Many early names mentioned here:
    http://www.carhistory4u.com/the-last-100-years/parts-of-the-car/car-radio

Motorola specifically from the article:

“In the late 1920s Elmer Wavering and his friend William P. Lear (of Lear jet fame) were contacted Paul Galvin of the Galvin Manufacturing Corporation in Chicago to assist in a car radio design project.

Production of the resulting car radio commenced in 1930 with the Motorola model 5T71, which sold for between $110 and $130.

It is considered by many to be the first commercially successful car radio.”

semoochie
    Participant

“I seriously doubt there is any grains of truth in that.” It was the owner of the shop. All I know is that it was an old man who told me the story.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Andy, there was a little radio shop next to the KKEY transmitter site.

Ableman’s? That place is still there IIRC. (The faded old 80s RCA sign on the front of the building.) I went in there about 10 years ago looking for one of the Echostar ATSC receivers. The first and last time I saw W-VHS was on that visit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.