Police ‘Coup’ Prevents Newly-Elected St. Louis Area Mayor From Taking Office

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Police ‘Coup’ Prevents Newly-Elected St. Louis Area Mayor From Taking Office

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Mayor Betty McCray was recently elected to the office of mayor in the St. Louis County city of Kinloch. But in spite of the fact that the St. Louis County Board of Elections have certified the election results, the local police turned out by the dozen to block her from entering city hall and beginning her work as mayor.

Nearly two dozen police officers greeted McCray on her first day of work, as she tried to enter city hall.

Political opponents met her at the door and wrongly told her that she had been “impeached” before even taking the job. But that’s simply not true.

Mayor McCray has not been impeached and she won the April 7th election. But police were there in what seems to be a small town coup of sorts, enforcing an illegal bar on the newly-elected mayor and preventing her from taking office.

“I won. The people spoke,” McCray explained. “I was sworn in by the St. Louis County. Today I take office. I want them out, I want the keys.”

After the election results were certified earlier this week by the St. Louis County Board of Elections, Kinloch’s outgoing administration refused to allow the city clerk to give McCray the oath of office, claiming voter fraud.

“Today is the first day that that the city hall door has been unlocked. They keep it locked,” McCray said. “You got to beat and you got to bang (to get in). They have an officer police sitting right at the door.”

On Thursday, McCray was ready to start on the job, but was met with strong resistance. Fox 2 was there with McCray when she showed up at city hall, where she was greeted by more than 20 Kinloch police officers.

One officer attempted to prevent himself from being filmed by pushing a camera away. No one was being allowed inside city hall, including the elected mayor.

Kinloch city attorney James Robinson informed McCray she had been impeached. However, the city refused to tell the new mayor the articles of impeachment.

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/04/police-coup-prevents-newly-elected-st-louis-area-mayor-from-taking-office/

What is wrong with Missouri?

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Missouri has been thought of as a backward state for as long as I can remember.

Small town politics can be very hateful. In a big city, player come and go, in small towns they are there for a life time and a lot hate can build up.

Vitalogy
    Participant

The scary part of things like this is, these are the police!

I seriously think there is some kind of KKK element that still runs rampant in small town middle “merica police and politics.

RobP
    Participant

Well, it’s more than the police…it seems it’s the city attorney who’s telling Mayor-elect McCray her election was illegal due to voter fraud.

And Mayor-elect McCray says she will fire said attorney as soon as she gets into office.

Oh, regarding the “KKK element” – the mayor and the attorney are both black.

Get the facts here: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/alleging-voter-fraud-kinloch-refuses-to-swear-in-new-mayor/article_aa5e23e8-4a16-5573-8ff8-9c7897e4a7f2.html

skeptical
    Participant

How can this be? Fat old white guys keep saying there is no racism in America anymore!

NoParty
    Participant

Because they only see it from their point of view and to them there isn’t any in America anymore.
    I guess they haven’t walked a mile in anyone else’s shoes.

Typical Southern extreme rightism.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

What is the motivation behind this “coup?” Who is behind it? (A photo in the story linked above shows a Black police officer pushing a TV camera away, so I suspect that the motive might be something other than race.)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.