Pioneering mega church founder DEAD

This topic contains 65 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Broadway 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Amus
    Participant

Also with some linkages to the Civil War, with what passes for “Christian Conservatism” being basically Southern Baptist.

paulwalker
    Participant

I hear those who dismiss Graham because of his bigoted views, especially toward Gays.

That being said, it was a different era. I would much prefer a statesman like Billy Graham than those who came after. I will forgive him for some short-sided views that he likely would take back.

He had many a President’s ear. That is fact. He also was very skilled in his presentation as many non-religious commercial tv stations donated time for his sermons back in the day.

I don’t usually agree with Broadway, but why all the hate? This man was principled, whether or not you agreed with him or not. I believe being human also means accepting others even if we disagree. I don’t personally agree with BG, but I give him credit for being perhaps the most successful Christian orator of our times.

Langston
    Participant

It’s a believer vs non-believer thing. The non-believers hate believers regardless of political stripe. This is a constant battle which which can occur within a party(see Democratic Underground). Very divisive.

Amus
    Participant

My ire isn’t particularly directed towards Billy Graham. He was a product of his time, and was what he was.

His son Franklin on the other hand is one of those you spoke of who came after. In his case, literally.

Vitalogy
    Participant

The fact that it was a “different era” doesn’t excuse his stances. Other people of that “different era” knew he was nothing more than a scam artist who lined his pockets.

Franklin on the other hand is nothing more than a spoiled son who is using his position, purely genetic relations, to further line his pockets.

Fuck’em both.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Bulgar troll not worth the time, space or oxygen.

Broadway
    Participant

Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God.
    –Billy Graham

skeptical
    Participant

God is giving Billy a stern butt whipping before sending the huckster to Hell’s caustic acid shower. There’s no way one dies with $25 mil earned-in-jesus’s-name in their pocket and gets away with it in Heaven.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Billy is dead just like every other dead person.

Broadway
    Participant

Video tribute—

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I wasn’t going to comment on this thread, but hey, what’s Dan’s bandwidth for anyway? Oh, and, I’m gonna hijack it.

One of the really good pastors of the 20th and early 21st centuries, whose humility, graciousness, good-heartedness, transparency and kindness, were often the source for comedic routines, was Fred Rogers. If I could in anyway emulate anyone outside of Jesus, Fred, would be my pick.

Now back to the sword fight.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

It’s true! Mr. Rogers was a pastor.

skeptical
    Participant

And didn’t die with $25 million in con money in his pocket. He gets to sit at the table with Jesus.

jr_tech
    Participant

edselehr
    Participant

Hey, cardigans ain’t cheap.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.