Pioneering mega church founder DEAD

This topic contains 65 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Broadway 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author

skeptical
    Participant

He’ll be remembered for his asshole son, mostly. But his personal wealth, disparaging of women and folks with AIDS, and his prodding Nixon to nuke the North Vietnamese makes him one of the worst religious leaders in modern time.

It’s about time the grim reaper found you.

Amus
    Participant

My sincerest condolences to his colossal piece of shit son Franklin.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This is FAKE NEWS!*

*According to Mike Huckabee

Broadway
    Participant

You know nothing of what you’re talking about.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Good riddance.

skeptical
    Participant

skeptical
    Participant

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/6-awful-details-omitted-billy-grahams-fawning-obituaries/

Quotes:

“Graham helped normalize ultra-rich pastors. Graham’s wealth, and focus on more wealth, was modest compared to the televangelists preaching the prosperity gospel today. His net worth was estimated at $25 million and while Jeff Bezos might spend more on a clock, it’s certainly not a vow of poverty.

Graham once preached that AIDS was the judgement of God. “Is AIDS a judgment of God?” he had said in Columbus, Ohio in 1993, “I could not be sure, but I think so.” Graham quickly backtracked on this one, saying that he didn’t believe that and didn’t know why he said it. Nevertheless, this dog-whistle was heard by too many.

Graham wrote a memo to President Nixon urging him to commit a war crime in Vietnam. Unlike many Christian leaders, Graham supported a very specific military strategy in the Vietnam war. He wanted Nixon to use nuclear weapons to destroy the dikes that manage flooding in North Vietnam. This plan was something Henry Kissinger dismissed as “just too much.”

. . . .”

Andy Brown
    Participant

He did more harm then good. I tuned him out 50 years ago because of his numerous defects which far outnumbered any of his positive values. His own ego precludes any honor in his death. There is nothing worse then a racist teacher selling a false gospel. Plain and simple, he was a fraud.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Another dickhead loony expired. Good riddance. Wish my senile/paranoid schizophrenic prick boss’ time would finally run out so we can add him to the list.

You know nothing of what you’re talking about.

Seriously?

Ever look at yourself in the mirror, Broadway?

Ever go back and reread anything you post?

Seriously?

Broadway
    Participant

Wow, why all the hate…

Amus
    Participant

Vitalogy
    Participant

You should ask his son “why all the hate?”

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Texts someone who hates all religion.

I don’t argue religion. No one changes their minds unless and until someone has a God Smack moment.
    Reverend Billy Graham did return American Evangelism towards inclusion and respect … for awhile. “America’s Pastor’ was one of the most admired persons in the nation, if not the world but for Pope John Paul II. His Crusades are missed. Rest in Peace.

Amus
    Participant

Speaking for only myself, I have no problem with religion at all.

I do, on the other hand, have a real problem with hypocrisy.

And the entire notion of a “Conservative Christian” as it applies to today’s definition of “Conservative”, is both hypocritical and an oxymoron.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Today’s conservative Christianity, I believe, is an echo of the Cold War. The Soviets were seen as the enemies of religion–i.e. “Godless Communists”–because of their policy. What better, feel-good, way could there be for American politicians to look “un-Communist” than to promote religion in public life? When President Eisenhower signed the bill inserting “Under God” into the Pledge of Allegiance, he said that this modification would strengthen the “spiritual weapons which forever will be our country’s most powerful resource.”

From the 1950s onward, anything associated with left-leaning fiscal policy was mentally linked to hostility to religious tradition and expression.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.