Our best actress lays it out

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant
    duxrule
    Participant

And TD’s response is some of the best comedy of the weekend:

Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn’t know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes.

Ha!

Langston
    Participant

Oh, she knows you!

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Twitler on the rampage, yet again.

What a thin skinned, utterly embarrassing, ass hat.

It was so classy of her to use a non-political event to preach her liberal politics and anti-Trumpness and insult many of her fans who I hope soon will be ex-fans.

Langston
    Participant

It is too easy to bait Benedict Donald and his little twitter fingers.

radiogeek
    Participant

The very fact that a loser “reality TV star” who bullied his way into office is trading barbs with an actress

IS THE POLITICAL NEWS OF THE DAY

makes me lose faith this country will survive another generation.

What happened to having actual, experienced, competent public servants having reasoned discourse about the best public policy? Since when is actual governance no longer valued?

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Since when is actual governance no longer valued?”

It’s still valued by many, in fact a majority of voters thought so two months ago.

“What happened to having actual, experienced, competent public servants having reasoned discourse about the best public policy? ”

The Republicans have starved educational funding for three generations whenever they had the capacity to do so. As a result, there is a large segment of American youth-young adults that have insufficient capacity to parse and analyze current events and have become the kind of populist culture that fosters bullies, small time street crime, racial hatred, etc.

In the end the election of a shmuck like drumpf to the POTUS will serve to accelerate the backlash against wealthy conservatives now anxious to expand their power at any cost. Whether the drumpf/GOP axis of stupid can be stopped before they get us into another war or deep recession (or both) remains to be seen. There are a lot of baconites out there and they are quite stupid, wholly uninformed, uninterested in truths or facts and totally behind the new administration creating havoc on the social fabric and international respect the U.S. used to have.

edselehr
    Participant

“It was so classy of her to use a non-political event to preach her liberal politics and anti-Trumpness and insult many of her fans who I hope soon will be ex-fans.”

You and your fellow Trumpites are such uniters.

Waiting for your comments on the classless way Trump responded…

EDIT ADD: I thought the right was fed up with “political correctness”…unless political INcorrectness is directed at Dear Leader, eh?

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Pope Bacon will demonstrably defend anything Trump says or does.

Illustratively:

Pick a story. Pick any of the dozens (and counting) critical and alarming stories detailing our illustrious President elect that are both cascading and escalating as the days go by. Remove Donald Trump’s name, insert Hillary Clinton’s (or any Democrats). The howls of outrage would be utterly deafening. There would already be calls for impeachment.

The hypocrisy is boundless. And it’s highlighted on this board virtually on the daily by Pope Bacon and his ilk. It’s blind partisanship over country. I find it beneath contempt.

As for Meryl Streep; she’s as entitled as anyone else to utilize her public status to further her own views and opinions in an effort to sway others. Of note, she didn’t say Trump’s name. She didn’t even speak directly towards any policy he or The Republicans intend to pursue. She spoke about decency and the importance of an honest, free, and unrestricted press. From her speech:

“But there was one performance this year that stunned me. It sank its hook in my heart not because it was good. It was — there was nothing good about it, but it was effective, and it did its job. It made its intended audience laugh and show their teeth. It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter, someone he outranked in privilege, power, and the capacity to fight back. It kind of broke my heart, and I saw it, and I still can’t get it out of my head because it wasn’t in a movie. It was real life. And this instinct to humiliate when it’s modeled by someone in the public platform by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody’s life because it kind of gives permission for other people to do the same thing.

Disrespect invites disrespect. Violence insights violence. When the powerful use definition to bully others, we all lose. Ok. Go on with that thing. OK. This brings me to the press. We need the principal press to hold power to account to call them on the carpet for every outrage.

That’s why our founders enshrined the press and its freedom in our Constitution. So I only ask the famously well-heeled Hollywood Foreign Press and all of us in our community to join me in supporting the Committee to Protect Journalists because we are going to need them going forward and they’ll need us to safeguard the truth”.

If you take issue with those sentiments, as Donald Trump and his vicious minded surrogates both in the conservative media as well as anonymously on-line have, it says a lot more about you than it does Meryl Streep. It wasn’t that long ago those very basic concepts were American ideals; not Democratic or Progressive ideals.

You stay classy, Republicans.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The Axis Of Stupid

Broadway
    Participant

>>You stay classy, Republicans.
    You don’t get it…it’s way beyond Republican…

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Best line I’ve read today concerning Trump’s recent tweet:

“You don’t even need an anchovy to bait this guy.”

“It made its intended audience laugh and show their teeth. It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter, someone he outranked in privilege, power, and the capacity to fight back. It kind of broke my heart,”

This is such a lie. And I’m sure her poor heart is aching. She is a good actress, I’ll give her that.

Trump used the exact hand movement in other instances. He was not “imitating” or mocking that disabled reporter. The reporter did not have any problems with spastic movements. That couldn’t have been an imitation.

But repeat a lie often enough…I suppose that’s what fake news is all about.

She can go ahead and exercise her rights to free speech in inappropriate venues all she likes. Most people realize that playing a doctor on TV doesn’t make one qualified to give medical advice.

skeptical
    Participant

Thank God that when I get to the Pearly Gates, I won’t have to explain why I voted for the Mocker of Disabled People.

She’ll also have a badge for me: “Did Not Use Her Name For Selfish Gains”. It allows me to sit in the front row for the Holy Festivities or whatever the heck they do up there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.