OTA Portland stations

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    LinleyG
    Participant

KKEI applied for permission to convert to an ATSC3 format on 3/25/20.

Sorry. Eyesight isn’t what it used to be.

L

msndrspdx
    Participant

The 3.0 project got underway in Las Vegas late last week, with ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and CW stations activating their 3.0 signals. The lighthouse for 3.0 in Las Vegas is KVCW, the CW’s Sin City station. The channel shares on 1.0 and 3.0 went without a hitch, according to RabbitEars. The remaining stations there, including PBS are expected to work out channel shares. The five year clock now starts toward a full transition to 3.0. The wheels are turning in Phoenix on their 3.0 project, but no start date has been announced there yet. No other 3.0 prep action to report anywhere else.

Meanwhile, NBC LX signed on the air at 8 AM ET this morning. Is KOXI taking it this morning? Worth noting that RabbitEars does not yet list LX on KOXI 20.6; they still list the station as being off the air.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

The discussion is about Portland-area stations, not Vegas or Phoenix. Stay on topic or start a new thread.

LinleyG
    Participant

According to my records, KOXI-CD (RF20) turned off its transmitter on 10/28/19. On 10/20/19, it filed a Silent STA application with the FCC saying it went silent on 10/24/19. The reason given in the STA application was that it needed to “construct a permanent facility”. The reason why they couldn’t stay on the air during construction while using their existing facilities was not given.

Since then they have been haggling with the FCC over the exact details involved in going from the old antenna height over average terrain of 1459′ to a new antenna at 1698′; both new and old antennas being hosted on KGW’s tower. A construction permit was finally granted on 5/13/20.

I have no information as to when KOXI-CD (RF20) will return to the air. I looked for but did not find its video being hosted on another Portland transmitter. But, since I don’t have a PSIP reader, I may have missed it.

Linley

washnotore
    Participant

I was looking at the recent FCC filings for KGWZ-LD and KOXI-CD. I notice after reading the all paperwork. That both stations, including KPXG-LD. Will be broadcasting from a new Side Mount Antenna at Skyline. Where that side mount antenna will be place is anyone guess.

yahmit
    Participant

I have a Samsung HD Smart TV that is about 5 years old. Does anyone know of a way of finding out what RF channel the TV is receiving, rather that the virtual channel? I have been through all the menu settings and can’t find anything. I am trying to figure what transmitter I am receiving KSLM/KWVT. Channel 11 or 27. Thanks.

LinleyG
    Participant

Five or seven years ago, Charlie Rhodes and I tested 21 “modern” (then) DTV receivers for their ability to stand off near channel interference. As I remember NONE of them would allow the user to directly determine what RF channel they were tuned to. Apparently someone, somewhere had determined that knowing same would just confuse the user. That might reasonable given the helpless confusion I have encountered when I try to describe the difference between a RF channel and a virtual channel to people.

There are a very few DTV sets that will tune to a given RF channel if its number is entered on the remote. And, I have seen one receiver (that I can’t name at the moment) that allowed one to scan one channel at a time. But, neither of my small Samsung receivers will do either. If you have any around, about a third of the twenty-eight set top convertors we tested would tune directly to a given RF channel on command.

I had a mid 90’s Sony CRT DTV set that would read out the channel it was tuned to, the signal’s S/N and the receiver’s AGC. But after years of service it failed to turn on one day and went the way of things. I maintain an old ArtTec set-top convertor box solely because it has a manual scan mode that allows one to determine what virtual signal is on what RF channel.

Given that you wish to tell the difference between RF11 and RF27 one could tell the difference by filtering the RF signal. For instance, if you can lay your hand on a UHF-VHF TV diplexer, connect the TV set to the common port and the antenna to one of the other two ports. The port that gives you a picture will tell you which band the TV signal is coming in on.

Linley

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

I have a 2014 SuperSonic SC-1311 that will tune to the RF channel, e.g., 24 brings up 2.1.

semoochie
    Participant

My LG has a manual tuning section that references the RF channel. I don’t think it’s a year old yet.

LinleyG
    Participant

I like my crow lightly sautéed, thanks, but no feathers.

I thought to do Jeffrey’s test on my Insignia TV set. When I enter 24 with no period (or dash) the set tunes to channel 24 and gets KATU. It seems to tune to the entered channel regardless of its previous scanning history.

Then I tried my Samsung. After experimenting, I found that if, for a given channel, there was no virtual channel of that number in the set’s memory, the set will tune to the RF channel number entered (just the channel number, no dot). I had tried things like that before but apparently got it wrong.

So, with your Samsung, try entering 11 on the remote and see what happens. If it displays one of the ValleyTV signals (3.1, 17.1, 27.1 or 37.1) your signal is probably from RF11. If not? There may be a 27.1 in the set’s memory so entering 27 may or may not tell you anything.

To be completely sure: disconnect the antenna and scan the set to reset its memory. Now reconnect the antenna and enter 11 or 27 (or whatever) to see what the set finds on the various channels. You must be a bit careful of the order in which you search because you are, in essence, manually scanning the set and it will remember all the details of any signal it finds as you tune.

Linley

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.