OTA Portland stations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

I have read a bunch of the LP stations have returned in Portland. Are there stations on the air?

5.1 (KRCW LP), 16.2, 20.2, 36.1, 38.1, 42.1 (ION)? I know most have limited coverage, but I wonder if any are currently on? Thanks.
    The company that used to own ones like KOXO also owned 28.1 Astoria that tested in the 90s in analog. Per the FCC site there has been some activity on 28.
    If the June 9th 3.0 date holds, we will be getting a bunch of Portland stations we have never received out here OTA. I am looking forward to that. Thanks for help.

LinleyG
    Participant

If you consult https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=30 ,you will get a list of the Portland area stations.
    I verified last night that the on/off status of all the stations listed for Portland, Vancouver or Salem are as shown and are at their accustomed power; that is, with the exception of KJWY-LD (Salem). I haven’t observed any signal on RF36 since KKEI-CD went silent a couple of months ago, so I just don’t know about that station. (One of the oddities of the situation is that most “Salem” stations’ transmitters are in Portland. KJWY-LD’s transmitter is actually near Salem.)

Rabbitears’ listings are good because all the data of what virtual channels are carried on a given RF channel and vice versa are given. I know the RF channels intimately but have to grope for the virtual channels. I find most people are the other way around.

Linley

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by LinleyG. Reason: Added a space to get URL in the clear
    billmcf
    Participant

FYI, you can get a real-time list of active TV stations from a receiver in Vancouver:

https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?request=tvdx_grid&tid=107241E4&tno=3&sort=rfch&hours=720&tzone=PT&unit=

washnotore
    Participant

Dito from Vancouver too. It isn’t very often I get KJYY-LF (RF 26) From Mt Scott. Coming in at my location. I have transport errors causing breakup. KWVT-LD does this as well from Skyline. I’m just using Hauppauge hardware/software. Others ATSC media works fine.

I noticed they have three streams all running at 480i SD bitrate.

26-1 2 Mb SonLife Network (Religion)
    26-2 2 Mb Shop LC (Shopping)
    26-4 2 Mb Heartland (Country Music/Lifestyles)

There is a fourth stream setup for 12 Mb. Not sure what it’s used for. And why it’s hogging so much bandwidth.

My TSReader Lite shows there are four streams up and running. Even though 26-3 is blank. There 480i stream bit configuration. Is similar to one used by KPTV and KPDX (Converting to NG3 soon) SD channels.

Rabbitears website doesn’t even show Heartland being listed.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by washnotore.
    yahmit
    Participant

I believe the Salem stations are off the air. I live about 4 miles from their towers and receive nothing. Anyone know why KWVT (17.1) KSLM (27.1) KVDO(3.1) and KPWC(37.1) are silent. KJWY(36.1) has been off for a long time now. I know it was sold and I believe they are moving their tower a couple of miles. They are also in the same area as the other stations (Eola Hills above West Salem. Any updates would be great.

msndrspdx
    Participant

NBC LX’s newly redesigned website has a newly updated list of affiliates, and it lists Ch. 20.6 as the Portland area station. That would be KOXI, which is currently listed on RabbitEars as being off the air but is listed there with five streams, all carrying (supposedly) YouToo America. The network is rolling out on a national basis this week after running since early this year on NBC O&O’s (many of them Telemundo stations) on a test basis. This is apparently the first official announcement of regular programming on any of the Portland area HC2 stations. All of the markets on LX are over the air; no cable deals announced yet.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Is these part of the old “Watch TV” list of stations Portland had? If so, they still have that CP (claimed to be on the air) for Ch 28, Astoria, a translator K28FP or something like that. They seem to update info on it every so often, so it looks like they are keeping it alive.

msndrspdx
    Participant

KOXI and sister stations are indeed the former WatchTV station group, which as some here know, has had a strange, long running history. It’s my understanding that HC2 bought the WatchTV stations last year, if memory serves. One of them has reportedly been simulcasting KWVT 17.1 from Salem in the evenings and doing testing during the day for awhile now. None of these stations have established websites or Facebook pages that I know of. Nor have they ever officially announced a start date for any kind of regular programming. The fact that KOXI is apparently going to run NBC LX suggests to me that it must’ve been offered first to KGW/KGWZ and KGW, for whatever reason(s) of their own, must’ve turned it down. This could be a big win for KOXI and HC2 if this is indeed going to happen. Will Comcast, also owned by NBC, take LX off KOXI if it becomes available? It’s worth noting that KPXG 22.7 carries Telemundo over the air but Comcast Portland takes Telemundo off the network feed instead. I thought 22 might’ve taken LX if it had been offered to them. Wouldn’t be surprised if a channel share between the KWVT stations and KOXI et al takes place at some point down the road, especially with the ATSC 3.0 project now expected to start in Portland sometime in July.

mwdxer1
    Participant

12/49 duo, are you talking about the translators? They are in 720p, out here on the coast 21.1/21.2 both 720p. Meredith set this up so the rural areas would get both. Unfortunately here comes diginets where 2/6/8/10 offered everything, the KPTV/KPDX mux still is there. I am hoping they switch when the stacking begins. After all KGW is going to host the 49 diginets. When there has been an issue with the KPTV/KPDX mux, the engineer shuts down KPDX, giving us KPTV/COZI/LAFF. Then they get it fixed going back to the KPDX/KPDX mux and locals complain as they wanted COZI. But I guess there was no money for a separate 49 translator, so Meredith did what they could. We are all looking forward to the stacking. We will finally get Antenna TV too.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks for the update on Watch TV (HC). We have had that ch 28 CP out here for years. They tested in analog back in the 90s with a shopping channel, but after awhile shut it down for some reason. I called them in Portland some years back and I was told they do indeed plan on getting 28 on. But I have not heard a word since. Then a couple times in the past few years, there were updates on the FCC site. I was thinking with the OTA activity out here and many using antennas, 28 may come on. When they tested all we had was analog 2/6/49. Now we have 16 stations on 5 translators. There are also CPs for 15, 22, 30, & 36. 30 was a CP for 38, but moved to 30. So they all seem to have some activity to keep them alive.

msndrspdx
    Participant

The “Where to Watch” page on the NBC LX website is advising viewers to rescan their TV sets. The reason for this is that most LX stations are running LX on brand new subchannels. Presumably, therefore, rescanning might reveal KOXI’s LX feed and perhaps others.

Also of note: Phoenix is getting ready to turn on their 3.0 broadcasts at the end of the month, and channel shares are starting to turn up in Las Vegas as they prepare for the start of their 3.0 project probably in the next month or two. Several markets have also seen stations moving to new frequencies as part of round 9 of the repack, including most of the major SF Bay Area channels, according to the TV Answers Facebook page.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I wonder if the Portland stations will move towards stacking before the July 28th date for 3.0? It is interesting Portland was going to be one of the first 3.0 markets, now it looks like Las Vegas & Phoenix will be beating them.

LinleyG
    Participant

Yesterday, for the first time in memory, KORK (RF35) appeared on the air. This is the first time I have ever observed a signal on RF35. My daily records go back only 18 months while my data from episodic measurements goes back to 2011.

I have never tooled up with a PSIP reader. From what I can gather from my TV sets, KORK has only one virtual channel, Vir35.1. When I looked last night and this morning, it was transmitting a 480i version of Valley17, which can be seen in a 720P format on KWVT (RF11, Vir17.1).

KORK’s sister station, KKEI (RF36), applied for permission to convert to an ATSC3 format on 3/35/20, went off the air on 4/5/20 and was granted 3.0 permission on 4/21/20. Its to remain on RF35 as it changes format and has until October to get on the air in 3.0. Given the on-channel public notices of the change required by the FCC, it’ll be interesting to see how it works out. KORK is scheduled to simulcast KKEI’s ATSC3 signal in an ATSC1 format.

Linley

mwdxer1
    Participant

Here on the coast, we still have several CP’s.
    15, 22, 28, 30 & 36. Those had new activity on the FCC site in the past few months. So maybe some are going to come on. 28 (Watch TV) still has their transmitter up on Megler according to what I was told. But it may just be a analog 28 one they tests back in the 90s.But their CP is for digital 28.1. The CPs are all for 15KW ERP. Triple what the strongest translators are now. With 22’s CP, right between 21 (KPTV 1.86 KW) and 23 (KOPB 6 KW), Don’t know if there will be any interference on adjacent channels. Digital general does cause the interference analog did, but it is still triple the power and nearly 8 times the power of KPTV’s 21. Time will tell.

semoochie
    Participant

“KORK’s sister station, KKEI (RF36), applied for permission to convert to an ATSC3 format on 3/35/20, went off the air on 4/5/20 and was granted 3.0 permission on 4/21/20.” March 35th?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.