Oregon Live Dumping Comment Section

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    DanOregon
    Participant

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019/12/oregonlive-eliminates-comments-joining-other-media-organizations.html

They’ve had a lot of problems with whatever system they use for moderating – some mix of algorithms and human – innocuous comments get banned, racist and homophobic stuff makes it through.
    I’m sure its more of a cost-cutting move more than anything. It’s too bad because the comment section has been a place where people notice obvious errors in a story that are presumably corrected before they make it into the print edition. Always figured if you required a Facebook login or limited posts to one a day, you’d cut back on the back and forth nonsense.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Big mistake. It will not be easy to rebuild that population. The active core of it brings a ton of lurkers along. Those people read Oregon Live. Many will move on, or go where the chatter is.

Do they not realize the strong, negative ripple down effects?

If I had time, I would set up a domain, post it, and see who shows up. Bonus points for pre-populating topic groups.

Right now, the smaller communities that have endured have considerable value.

Moderation can be solved reasonably. Tons of capable people out there.

Watch Oregon Live take a traffic hit, then ramp up on click bait to compensate.

I encourage users there to start a mailing list. When the alphas figure out where they want to land, use the list to migrate others.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.