Oregon IP 28

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2016/06/post_240.html

I’m currently undecided on this but I believe this will be one of the biggest things on the Oregon ballot.

I’m skeptical of the claims that higher taxes will ruin the local economy. We heard the same argument back when we voted on Measures 66/67.

When higher taxes were approved via the vote the Oregon economy has done nothing but go up.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

Despite the usual Conservative/Libertarian scare tactics of “the Zero” “journalism,” the Master of Disaster plans to vote no.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Survey: Support for Measure 97 corporate tax hike now doubles opposition.

http://katu.com/news/local/survey-support-for-measure-97-corporate-tax-hike-now-doubles-opposition-oregon

I’m not 100% decided but I’m heavily leaning towards voting yes.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Increasing taxes will just make it more expensive to live in Oregon. I own a small business. If my taxes go up, then the customer will be paying more. Businesses are not going shallow the cost. I had to raise my prices at the beginning on 2016, as my overhead increased. I am probably one of few Democrats that are against most tax increases. The more money the government makes, the more they waste. If taxes increase too much, businesses will move to another state. This is not a good idea. Oregon already is getting too expensive to live in many areas.
    I will vote no. That is for sure. I hope most Oregonians will vote no too. Unless they want higher prices at the stores. One reason prices are terrible in much of California is the businesses are paying more fees, taxes, licensing. It all adds to the cost of doing business.

Broadway
    Participant

Dah!!!👜

Vitalogy
    Participant

Fact: Oregon is tied with Connecticut for the LOWEST tax burden on business in the nation. I think we can afford to tax corporations more. And the fear of corporations just raising prices is bunk. Remember, there’s a thing called competition.

Here’s a good article to check out: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/us/measure-97-seeking-to-raise-corporate-taxes-splits-oregon-voters.html

It’s not bunk. Increased costs will be passed along to consumers in one way or another. And what kind of rationale is it to increase taxes “just because we can.”

The more taxes that go to the government the more money is spent to increase the size of the government, increase the paychecks of government employees and to help them retire early and live fat and easy. It’s better to keep as much money in the private sector where there is less waste and resources are used more efficiently.

The government that governs least governs best. I vote NO. I trust businesses and individuals to be better stewards of resources than I do bureaucrats.

mwdxer1
    Participant

If taxes go up on these big companies then we will pay more. It will be the trickle down story. So everything will go up accordingly. Prices in Oregon are already high enough.

Broadway
    Participant

>>It will be the trickle down story
    Doesn’t anybody know basic math here…???
    This is insane!!!

Vitalogy
    Participant

If you believe that raising taxes in Oregon on multinational corporations will mean higher prices are believe a lie. is Walmart going to raise prices just for Oregonians? Starbucks?? Nope! That tax increase will just get folded into these large corporations.

The fact is, Oregon is tied with Conn when it comes to the lowest tax burden for corporations. It’s time corporations pay their fair share in Oregon.

“Corporations used to contribute about 18.5 percent of all income taxes paid in Oregon. And when you flash forward to today, you see that corporations are paying just 6.7 percent of all income taxes in Oregon,” policy analyst Tyler Mac Innis said. “ And that’s a decline of nearly two-thirds.”

http://nwnewsnetwork.org/post/think-tank-says-oregon-corporations-share-tax-burden-declining

We’ve heard the dire predicitons in the past about how raising taxes will kill the Oregon economy. All have been proven patently false.

edselehr
    Participant

Oregonians, especially in rural areas, has been skating by for decades without paying their full share of property and other taxes – thanks to federal timber subsidies. But with the decline of the timber industry in Oregon and the federal dollars that came with it, it has fallen to the local taxpayers to take up the slack. We steadfastly refuse to implement a sales tax (which would capture millions of out-of-state dollars from tourism, now our new largest industry). We kick and scream about paying higher property taxes. And, when we consider a corporate tax measure like Measure 97, we get all bent out of shape because some of those corporate costs will be passed down to the consumer.

Well duh. Money isn’t free, and directly or indirectly Oregon consumers will pay some of that corporate tax bill. Not all of it, not none, but some. That’s to be expected, and it’s shouldn’t surprise anyone.

But what surprises me is that people still think there is massive fat to be trimmed in government. Hey folks, we’ve been been doing nothing but cutting since Measure 5 in 1992, and Oregon government is pretty damn lean right now. Yet, the popluation keeps growing…kids still keep getting born, and going to school…police still need to enforce the law…emergency services still need to roll when they get a call. A tough economy doesn’t decrease the demand for all these services. And NO, the dollars going to government will not be simply wasted, or at least no more than any large enterprise, public or private. There is real need for funding and improvement at every level or government, and if people want all these services to keep on working, additional revenue is needed. There’s really no way around it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.