Oregon Coast Power Outage/KSWB Off the Air

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Oregon Coast Power Outage/KSWB Off the Air

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mwdxer1 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I was out at the coast yesterday, and the power went out around 10:20 PM. According to Pacific Power, the outage stretched from Cannon Beach (where I was located) to Warrenton. According to people at the hotel, there was an explosion at a substation.

KSWB 840 and its translator at 98.1 were off the air. As of this morning, the translator was back on the air. However, as I write this, 840 has not yet returned. I hope that everything is alright over there.

mwdxer1
    Participant

KSWB 840 is back on tonight. During the outage there were no AM’s running programming. Both 1230 & 1370 Astoria had open carriers most of the night. The power was on in Astoria, but the studios for 1230/1370 are in Warrenton. Wished they would have stayed in Astoria where they at least had a generator for 1370 (500w). I think our EAS station is KMUN-91.9.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

During the weekend, I was in Astoria, and I walked by the red building that houses the 1230 transmitter. I assume that most of the first story of that building is vacant, as there are no signs identifying any businesses there. The second story of the same building is painted gray, and it may still be a vacation rental. I stayed there with a group of people some 12 years ago.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Funny you should mention 1230 Astoria. Back years ago when it was KVAS and owned by Chuck Farmer, I worked there in the early 70s as News & Music Director. Bob Chopping owned 1370, KAST. Long before FMs in the county.

semoochie
    Participant

Did you know Brad Eaton?

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, Brad were good friends for many years. I have not seen Brad in years now. I know he works at KING FM.

semoochie
    Participant

The best story I have about Brad Eaton is that he didn’t drive and got a job at the radio station in McMinnville. To get there, he took the Greyhound bus from Portland everyday!

mwdxer1
    Participant

I don’t know if Brad drives today or not, but he did take the Greyhound back and forth from Portland from Astoria for a time when he worked at KLIQ-1290 and KVAS-1230.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.