Oregon & SW Washington Original Call Letter Meanings List

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History Oregon & SW Washington Original Call Letter Meanings List

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

Thanks Old Salt!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Just received a correction via E-Mail for KLCR Lakeview:

KLCR CALL SIGNS WERE CHOSEN IN 1997 BY LICENSEE TO TIE IN WITH THE SLOGAN

IDENTIFIER “Lake County Radio”. LAKE COUNTY RADIO HAS BEEN USED TO PROMOTE

THE CALL SIGN SINCE IT INITIALLY SIGNED ON TEN YEARS AGO IN APRIL 2003.

CONTINUING THE USE OF THE ARBITRON IDENTIFIER TO THIS DAY. ALSO USED THROUGH THE YEARS WAS KLCR “Keepin Lake County Rockin”. Your listing lake classic rock??????

Mike Warren

Owner/Licensee

KLCR 95.3 FM Lake County Radio

{Editor’s note: Changed the original listing to “Lake County Radio” per requested. Thank-you boys!}

kennewickman
    Participant

Mid Columbia call sign meanings ..a double entandre’..

KALE of course was originally a Portland radio station the precursor to KPOJ really…and KALE meant “cash’and was the sister station of KOIN..as Craig has pointed out in strings before..ok well around 1949/50 Elroy McCaw and his Brother George ( dba Yakima Broadcasting ) bought the dark/defunct KALE..studio equipment and transmitter and Call Sign..I heard from people who knew when I worked for SRO who later bought up the property from McCAW in the early 70s..that the reason McCaw’s wanted callsign KALE was because it was an anogram with the first McCaw station KELA ,Chehalis ( their home town )..

kennewickman
    Participant

Another piece of callsign trivia from up the mid Columbia..

KACA in Prosser, Wa..( yeah I know we all called it CAH CAH radio)..but that station was put on the air by a HAM OPERATOR…and his call was

W7ACA , hence KACA..I forget the guys name now..maybe I can google it..might have been Sidney Roach..but maybe not..

jr_tech
    Participant

Perhaps one of these guys?

TO: MICHAEL N. FUNK

From an early FCC document. transfer of control

RadioRon
    Participant

I was the engineer that put KBBM in Waldport on the air for Ed McElroy back in the ’80’s. KBBM stood for “Big Band Music” which was to be the original format.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Thanks Radio Ron!

kennewickman
    Participant

I know Eldon Bogart..no it wasnt him..Eldon put the FM on the air..with the help of Dave Hebert Consulting Engineer..back about 1990 something..

The Prosser AM was orginally KACA..it was an old call..that AM eventually became KARY Prosser – Grandview , which it still his now..

They ( Eldon and Dave) resurrected the call sign in honor of the original owner/operator of the AM station back in the 50s I think…and it was his Ham Callsign..W7ACA..I cant remember the guys name now..

KQ4
    Participant

Cormac Thompson Sr., W7ACA. (b. 1907, d. 2002)

kennewickman
    Participant

AH thats it !!..Cormac Thompson..I knew it was a novel name…just couldnt remember it.Thanx there..W7PDX..

kennewickman
    Participant

Having his name now..I investigated on Ancestry.com..

born 22, november 1907 died 10, August 2002 Prosser ..so he got to see his callsign resurected on the new FM station that Eldon put on the air..

in 1930 he was a laborer general farm

In 1940 his occupation listed as ‘ Draftsman..Courthouse”..must have been a public sector job..oh yes…the 40 census says ” wage or salary worker in government work”..

No Military…at least not listed..which these days..Military records are plentiful on Ancestry..

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.