Oregon & SW Washington Original Call Letter Meanings List

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History Oregon & SW Washington Original Call Letter Meanings List

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

I have heard KJDY referred to as K-Judy. KFAT was a Country station in northern California that had quite a following shortly before the calls were brought to Corvallis for a similar format. KOMS was probably “Calms”, since it was a Beautiful Music station. For KROG, did you mean “rouge” or “rogue”? KWIP is “quip”. KWRC was originally “Willamette Radio Central” when it was in Woodburn. KXPC was originally “power country” but quickly switched to “pure country”. KYKN was “kickin'”. KWIL is also “quill”.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

I’ve now gone through what’s been posted and entered the information on the master copy. Here’s my response to some of the posted info:

Randy: KAPL Phoenix was and is owned by Applegate Media, Inc. Not Applegate Christian Fellowship.

Re-checked and KKTT 95.3 was licensed to Creswell and currently as KUJZ. There was no other previous Eugene market community listed additionally.

KROR was not owned by Reliable Oregon Radio. This is a bit of a stretch but could the calls mean K-ROaR! Myrtle Creek is close to Wildlife Safari and they do have lions.

The KWOW calls were the only ones I wasn’t sure of but decided to add them anyway. They’ve now been deleted from the master copy.

RadioRob: Good catch on KSKR The Score! That was a typo on my part. Placing capitol letters in the middle of words gets me confused at times while typing.

RadioGuy: Good catch on KTRQ! I did miss listing them. They’ve been added to the master copy. They went on the air in 1990 and were off by 1991.

It’s a little hard for me to believe KIQY would choose calls to look like there dial position. Are you sure about this?

Semoochie: Good catch on KROG! I miss spelled Rogue.

Thanks for the KXPC explanation. I did remember “Pure Country” after it was mentioned but not the original “Power Country”.

I’m adding “quill” as a secondary KWIL meaning. It might even be the original. I’ve never been sure about the “Willamette” meaning and quill has been used since the early 1950’s.

semoochie
    Participant

I can confirm about KIQY looking like “104” in print. That’s the story I heard too.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

KAPL: Of course you are correct about legal ownership. However, they have always said they are “A ministry of Applegate Christian Fellowship.” The name “Applegate Media, Inc.” and the call letters were likely derived from the church name. http://www.kaplradio.org/

KKTT on 95.3: Do you have a time frame for this? I’m not aware of those calls being used on-air on 95.3 (which doesn’t necessarily mean they weren’t).

KROR: I’m not sure where Reliable Oregon Radio came from, but my brain wants to tell me I saw it in print somewhere. The 1985 Broadcasting Yearbook shows the calls as KRGL and the owner was Robert W. Larson.

KIQY: The Y as a 4 may seem like a stretch, but there was a KIOY in Hanford CA, also on 103.7, which predated KIQY.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Randy: OK, Yes! I should have checked with the KAPL website. I’ll change it to Applegate Christian Fellowship.

There is a KKTT reference on the KUJZ page at recnet. I also checked with the FCC site with the same reference but I find recnet easier to use.

http://recdev.akane.recnet.com/cdbs/fmq.php?facid=&call=KUJZ&ccode=1&latd=&lond=&city=&state=&country=US&zip=&party=&party_type=LICEN&jaws=0

On the KRGL calls, I wonder if the “G” stands for Robert Larson’s wife’s name?

It seems everyone is in agreement on the KIQY meaning, so it’s been noted that way.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

The KNRQ page on Recnet sheds additional light on KKTT. KKTT was used on 97.9 from 3/16/98 until “KaTT Country was blown-up and KNRQ’s format moved from 95.3 to 97.9. A call letter swap between 95.3 and 97.9 happened on 8/15/01, probably out of expediency since the two frequencies temporarily simulcast the modern rock format of KNRQ.

Bottom line, it appears safe to say KKTT WAS used on-air on 95.3 for the 27 days between 8/15 and 9/7/01, when KUJZ was assigned to 95.3.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Randy: I don’t see where you got the “KKTT 97.9” reference on recnet. I looked in my 1999 Broadcasting Yearbook and sure enough the calls are in Eugene on 97.9. So the KKTT calls were in Eugene first then moved to Creswell.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant
    Craig_Adams
    Participant

Yes, recnet is not perfect.

Well I guess that finishes all the call letter meanings, posters placed on the table a present. Now let’s see more from posters.

yahmit
    Participant

When I worked at KWIP, we were never to identify at “quip”. It was K W I P.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Just got an E-Mail back from Jerry Dennon who put KSWB on the air with the Brothers Four. Jerry told me the calls were based on the “big dog” in the world of top 40 in Los Angeles, KFWB. Jerry was in L.A. in the early 60’s as national sales & promotion manager for Era Records. [Mr. Custer/Larry Verne, etc.] “I loved the sound of the call letters on the air, thus inserted the “S” for Seaside.” Jerry.

Pat
    Participant

I always guessed that KLOG was K-LOnGview even though it is Kelso.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Pat: Good point! I was just guessing at K-LOG. Anyone know for sure?

KQ4
    Participant

“I was just guessing at K-LOG.”

Do you suppose KLOG might have been chosen as a tip-of-the-hat to that area’s burgeoning timber industry back in the day?

Dan Packard
    Keymaster

It’s gotta be about the logs as Longview used to have the largest sawmill on the planet. I remember seeing old letterhead with logo and loggerhead. KLOG celebrates its 60th birthday this October. Longview is a nicely laid out city. Check out Lake Sacajawea and the Monticello hotel if you ever get the urge to stray off I-5. A pleasant surprise.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.