OR pot taxes blow away projections

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Oregon dispensaries have something to celebrate on this stoner holiday: They’ve sold an estimated $27 million worth of recreational marijuana since the start of the year.

The Oregon Department of Revenue on Wednesday said it collected $6.84 million in taxes from sales of recreational pot in January and February. The figure doesn’t include medical marijuana sales, which remain untaxed.

Tax collections so far have blown out economists’ predictions for the first year of taxed pot sales. Those estimates ranged from $2 million to $3 million after the state paid for the costs of regulation.

http://www.oregonlive.com/marijuana/index.ssf/2016/04/oregon_collects_684_million_in.html#incart_2box

Just think, that’s $27 million in sales that went from the black market to the regulated market.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

And yet, somehow, civilization hasn’t collapsed in the process.

Shocking.

darth talon
    Participant

“Just think, that’s $27 million in sales that went from the black market to the regulated market”

That black market is still around. There’s some that don’t want to pay the tax. So that dealer on the street is still out there. And they’re not going away anytime soon. In fact that dealer on the street is making more money now then they did before pot shops opened up.

“And yet, somehow, civilization hasn’t collapsed in the process.”

Very true. Just like when Oregon passed the “Death with Dignity” law. Conservatives and opponents kept saying that if it passes. Cults will come to Oregon to die. Kids will be able to order poison over the phone. And families will be able to force the elderly in their family to take their life.

And yet even after Oregon voters voted it in twice. Because the second time around. We the voters didn’t know or understand what we were voting on. And upheld by the Supreme Court. None of those things have happened.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

One would think after being proven wrong again, and again, and again, a glimmer of reason might begin to penetrate the overcast skies of Republican Land.

• The Affordable Care Act will not work/will crash the economy
    • Obama’s economy will never create jobs, a new Great Depression is imminent
    • Tax cuts for the 1% wealthy creates middle class prosperity
    • Death panels
    • FEMA camps
    • Obama’s birth certificate
    • Being gay is a choice
    • Gay people being allowed to adopt will destroy families
    • Gay people being allowed to marry will destroy marriage
    • Gay people being allowed to serve their country will destroy the military
    • Climate change is a hoax
    • Voter fraud is a pervasive problem.
    • Drug legalization will create chaos
    • Assisted suicide will create murder sprees
    • Benghazi!
    • China panic
    • North Korea panic
    • The Ebola panic
    • The ISIS panic
    • Syrian refugee panic
    • Sharia Law
    • Weapons of mass destruction
    • The war on Christmas
    • The war on Christianity

That’s a SMALL sampling of the completely insane, not true, fake scandals, and/or utterly ridiculous claims Republicans have made/continue to make on a wide array of issues. It’s pure fantasy land. No wonder the bulk of the GOP base are a bunch of ill informed, raging, paranoid nut jobs. It’s all fed 24/7, for years now, by conservative media. It’s a closed bubble where darkness, and misinformation, reigns supreme.

And thank you 2016 Republican candidates for the Presidency of the United States for contributing to the enlightened dialogue; courtesy of Tessa Stuart of Rolling Stone.

• “Mexico is sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people” –Donald Trump, in his announcement speech setting the tone for his campaign.
    • “The pyramids were made in a way that they had hermetically sealed compartments…you would need that if you were trying to preserve grain for a long period of time” –Ben Carson, on the Egyptian pyramids.
    • “Hell yeah, I would. You gotta step up, man”. –Jeb Bush, on whether he’d travel back in time to kill baby Hitler if given the chance.
    • “Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president”? –Donald Trump, on Carly Fiorina.
    • “Go back to Univision”-Donald Trump to Univision’s anchor Jorger Ramos
    • “Malala” –Marco Rubio, on the non-politician he’d most like to have a beer with, referring to Malala Yousafzai: a teenager and practicing Muslim.
    • “You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her…wherever”. –Donald Trump, on Megyn Kelly’s tough questions for him during a Fox News GOP debate.
    • “A lot of people who go into prison straight-and when they come out, they’re gay”. –Ben Carson.
    • “I watched in Jersey City, New Jersey, where thousands and thousands of people were cheering”-Donald Trump, recalling a scene that never happened in the wake of 9/11. Or 7/11 as he now prefers.
    • “I like to be unpredictable”. –Donald Trump, on sometimes carrying a gun.
    • “What you’re telling me is if I blow a hurricane through a junkyard enough times over billions and billions of years, eventually after one of those hurricanes there will be a 747 fully loaded and ready to fly”. –Ben Carson expressing doubts about the Big Bang and showing a staggering lack of scientific acumen.
    • “She was favored to win, and she got schlonged”. –Donald Trump, on Hillary Clinton losing to Barak Obama in 2008.
    • “Donald J Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what’s going on”. –A Donald Trump press release.
    • “If there is a rabid dog running around your neighborhood, you’re probably not going to assume something good about that dog, and you’re probably going to put your children out of the way”. –Ben Carson, on Syrian refugees.
    • “If I become President we’re all going to be saying Merry Christmas again”. –Donald Trump.
    • “Strom Thurmond had four kids after the age 67. If you’re not willing to do that, we need to come up with a new immigration system”. –Lindsey Graham.
    • “I dare Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama to watch these tapes. Watch a fully formed fetus on the table, it’s heart beating, it’s legs kicking while someone says we have to keep it alive to harvest it’s brain”! –Carly Fiorina, inaccurately describing something that never happened on one of the Planned Parenthood “sting” videos which have been widely debunked.

The stupid. It burns.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Oh, that is an awesome teh stoopid collection there LG!

Yes, the pot is amazing. Almost nothing changed at all.

darth talon
    Participant

“Hell yeah, I would. You gotta step up, man”. –Jeb Bush, on whether he’d travel back in time to kill baby Hitler if given the chance.

I find that statement funny as hell. In school, my history teacher once asked that question to the call. If you could go back in time to kill Hitler or Stalin, would you? Everyone said yes.

But then my teacher said. As much as you would like to go into the past and kill Hitler or Stalin, you can’t. If you did kill Hitler or Stalin. You would cause and change a lot of world history. And who knows what damage it might have done.

paulwalker
    Participant

The taxes are the key. Once States recognize the tax advantage to legalizing weed then it will become legal (almost) nationwide.

I live in WA, but have not tried the legal stores here yet. Part of me wants to, but I don’t know enough about it. I’m sure I am in the majority of folks who really don’t know how to buy it, and am not sure we really do want to buy it.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

The hypothetical killing Hitler as a baby thing had more ironic impact coming from the staunchly (completely irrationally) pro-life Jeb Bush.

He reflexively gave that answer without even taking a moment to consider the moral or ethical implications much less having the self-awareness to realize the sentiment is antithetical to everything he purports to stand for. Because of course he did.

I’m all but certain that science fiction related concerns about altering a time line or such (seemingly correct) actions having unforeseen and dire consequences never entered his narrow mind.

Putting that aside for a moment, your history teacher was only sort of correct. Presuming for a moment that time travel to the past is possible, and modern physics would seem to suggest that it likely isn’t save under extraordinary and entirely hypothetical circumstances , (sorry, Doc Brown) you could in fact do whatever you wanted to. Including knocking off a historical figure that from our present time perspective we know was an abomination. So, yes you could kill Hitler or Stalin or whomever as a child.

However, as your history teacher noted and as I did as well a moment ago, those actions could create massive and unimagined alternations to history as you knew it. I.e. Upon returning to the present, again presuming whipping back n’ forth through time like The Doctor would even be possible, you could very well find a world vastly different from the one you’d left behind. Perhaps not for the better.

A few fiction examples off the top of my head I’d recommend: “A Sound of Thunder” by Ray Bradbury, “The Door into Summer” by Robert A Heinlein, “Replay” by Ken Grimwood, “The Guns of the South” by Harry Turtledove, “Timeline” by Michael Crichton, “The Axis of Time series” by John Birmingham, “All you need is kill” by Hiroshi Sakurazaka, and 11/22/63 by Stephen King,

Alfredo_T
    Participant

If a pro-life supporter were to follow that ideology to its extreme, wouldn’t that person, by necessity, have to be a pacifist?

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

One would think, though I don’t have a strong opinion on the subject.

Though at the least, it’s worth noting (yet again) the irony of the “prolife” loons mindlessly supporting banning abortion while simultaneously being vociferous advocates of military action in any number of morally dubious circumstances.

The “prolife” people are all about the proto-fetus. Actual people after birth, generally not so much. Particularly if they don’t look, sound, and think exactly as they do.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Not to mention killing Hitler may undo the killers own timeline…

skeptical
    Participant

I think we’re all watching a bit too much Futurama here. 🙂

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

“But then my teacher said. As much as you would like to go into the past and kill Hitler or Stalin, you can’t. If you did kill Hitler or Stalin. You would cause and change a lot of world history. And who knows what damage it might have done.”

The orginal Star Trek TV series took that very idea with an episode (an Emmy winning one) called “The City on the Edge of Forever.” Joan Collins was the guest star.

Here’s an important scene.

Vitalogy
    Participant

The talk of travelling back in time to make different decisions is a waste of time. Hindsight is 20/20, to quote a very old cliché.

What’s important are the decisions that are made in real time and can be judged in hindsight.

Now back to the weed. Sales and taxes are exceeding expectations. By a large margin. Is anyone surprised?

And to Paul. I highly suggest you visit one of your local stores and make a small purchase. When you visit, the first thing that will strike you is the clientele. It’s mostly older people, both men and women. Definitely not the “stoner” crowd you might expect. Rather, it’s salt of the earth people from all backgrounds.

The bud tenders that work in these stores (based my experience at 2 in WA and 2 in OR) is that they are VERY accommodating to educating the buyer. Let the BT know what you like or are looking for and they will make a rec. They’re not paid commission, so they are all about customer education and service.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I’m not really surprised by the numbers. I really hope it stimulates our Oregon economy, puts money in places like education to lesson the tax burden on property owners and other stuff like that.

I’d be so out of place in one of those stores.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.