On air names

Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Lot of radio folks, back in the day, would go to the phone book and see what sounds good. Some use mom’s maiden name, middle name or a family name. Just depends on the broadcaster.

Bryan_oneal
    Participant

I have always used the same name Bryan O’Neal since 1977. I toyed with Chris Edwards before I was ever on the air, I think it was Gary Stevens/ John Sebastian/Sunny Day at KPAM who helped me with the name. He wanted to call me Maddog Bryan O’Neal because of my long hair and beard at the time. Kept my first name, went with O’Neal instead of (Green, legal name.. Grandma was hurt I changed it). For while at KPAM-FM and at 62 KGW I’d throw in “The Real” Bryan O’Neal, until PD Richard Harker told me to drop it.. Other than that.. same name for nearly 40 years on the air.

Bryan_oneal
    Participant

I just remembered about the time when I was at 62 KGW doing nights and I got a call from a guy whose real name was Bryan O’Neal and he was listed in the phone book. He asked me to please call his wife and tell her that the phone calls from young women really were not meant for him… they were trying to find the disk jockey.

I called and left her that message. Never heard back from either of them again.

LTPDXRadio
    Participant

@Kennewickman- Steve O’Shea also did evenings at KEX as DJ in the mid 1970’s.

He had a program on in the weekday evenings where he played the “top 10 songs of the day”, and even included some quirky song playlist stuff like the “worst songs of all time” or “weirdest songs of all time” type of thing.

Nice guy, and he took the time to answer my letters about the questions I would have them when I was a KEX radio fan way back when in school.

I don’t know whatever happened to him, but it would be interesting to find out what he is doing nowadays.

Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.