On air names

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Craig-

I know for a fact she has only used Barb Hughes at KPDQ and KKRZ. Call it inside information.

Waynes World
    Participant

Jeff Clark was actually Richard. or so he told me.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Chris: Thanks!

Wayne: Jeff Clarke information came from Freddie Flack, very good source.

Valerie ring
    Participant

I always needed attention, so I always used my real name.Still, when I worked at KVAN, Mr. Slobodin asked me to change it to Beverly Hills, what a hoot!

I miss Freddie Flack 8)

Andy Brown
    Participant

“when I worked at KVAN, Mr. Slobodin asked me to change it to Beverly Hills, what a hoot!”

Mr. Slobodi? No one called him Mr. Slobodin. It was Howard. Except Sleepy John who called him Howierd. 😀

Speaking of Sleepy John, he’s back on the air after a long hiatus … http://www.kser.org/program/left-dial

I’m with you Valerie, my real name was radio perfect, or at least my nickname “Andy” as opposed to my legal name “Andrew” although both are two syllables. Six years on the air using it never presented privacy problems because it is popular enough to have multiple listings, and back in those days there was no internet to google folks or check them on Zabasearch. Plus “Brown” is the fifth most popular name in the U.S. I was surprised, though, that I’m the only one on 440.com with that name. But I digress. Howard was also the one that made Jay Nordlund use the air name Lee Abrahams (a big time radio consultant for those that aren’t in the industry). I forget his justification, other than grins and giggles. The Big B.A. might remember.

warner
    Participant

I always had trouble with my real name on air, because the first name ends in “m” and the last name starts with “W”, so when you say them quickly on air, they mush together. Didn’t sound so good. I could never come up with a good air name though. I always wanted to use Anthony Lakes (Oregon geography), but was discouraged. 🙂

BTW the only thing Howard ever said to me was, “Kid, you just don’t fit in, we’re letting you go.” My 2 week KVAN stint! But it was a really fun 2 weeks!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Valerie: Thanks! I’ll add you to the master copy.

bigba
    Participant

Andy, we named Jay Nordlund “Lee Abrahams” just to raise a few eyebrows, and we did.We had nothing to lose at KVAN, so why not get under KGON’s radar, it was true fun radio in those days, too bad everybody is so serious about things these days. “Seen any strangers in the station lately? Anybody know where that line came from?

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Was Jay Nordlund on any other Portland area stations as Jay Nordlund?

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

“Barb never worked for KXL.”

I musta’ dreamed it.

semoochie
    Participant

So, both John Sebastian and Lee Abrams came through here?

Craig_Adams
    Participant

John Sebastian yes, as: Gary Stevens, aka Sunny Day on KPAM/KPFM, aka Jimmy Cassidy on KISN. Portland is about the only market John was in that he never used John Sebastian on the air.

charliebusch
    Participant

PT @ KGW as Gary Mitchell.(jingle splice of Gary Lockwood and Bob Mitchell…Gordy Miller was da best in “Buck Central”)

Charlie Mason @ KBZY.(tribute to my mentor Al Mason a.k.a. Mike Rivers)

Doc Maynard @ KING Radio 11 in Seattle.(Local, historical, colorful name given to me by Steve Lawson a.k.a. Scott Terry)

Charlie Busch began 2/76 in the apartment of my new boss in Spokaloo, Steve Taylor, a.k.a. “Citizen Bill”. He dug “Charlie”, and the “Busch” came from what I’m guessing was about our 25th Budweiser. I’m just now starting to sober up from that one! None of this matters much, but it is fun reading about all the “psuedo psychos”. I’m with Val. Freddie Flack is one of the all time greats! Remember….”You’re never alone when you’re schizophrenic”. I have lots of company. Call me Craig.

Valerie ring
    Participant

Hey Andy, I think my saracasm about Mr. Mercedes Man didn’t make it past my keyboard.

And Charlie, Have I told you lately that I love you?

bigba
    Participant

RE: Freddy Flack…………ever heard his sign off? A take off of the Mickey Mouse Club….F.R.E………..D.D.Y………F L A C K………..he is still a genius. Hope you are well Jeff………

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.