Ohio homeowner told to take down nativity scene

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Ohio homeowner told to take down nativity scene

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

An Ohio homeowner was ordered by town officials to remove a Nativity scene in front of his house that featured zombies instead of wise men and a baby Jesus.

“I wanted a Nativity and I worked with what I had,” Jasen Dixon, who manages a nearby haunted house, told Fox 19. “The neighbors don’t like it. My father hates it and anything bad that happens he blames it on that.”

The Nativity scene features life-size figures and a zombie baby Jesus, with pale skin and pure white eyes. At night, the figures are illuminated by red and green lights.

“I didn’t really pay it any attention until the different color lights came on, then finally the baby was put in the manger,” Dan Fluker, a neighbor, told the station.

According to documents obtained by Fox 19, Sycamore Township, which is outside Cincinnati, does not allow structures to be located in the front or the side yard to occupy more than 35 percent of the area. Also, the primary structure must be 3 feet from the street, and 6 feet from the house.

Dixon, who manages 13 Rooms of Doom, says this is his second violation since the exhibit was put up. He indicated that his First Amendment right is being infringed upon due to the religious element.

“I’ve lived here for 15 years and I’ve never had a violation of any kind,” Dixon said. “It’s a holiday decoration. I know if it was a real pretty Nativity scene they wouldn’t be saying anything.”

Dixon, who said about 40 people take photographs of what he calls “the world’s first zombie Nativity scene,” has until Dec. 26 to take down the scene. If he does not take down the exhibit, legal action will be taken.

It is unclear if Dixon will fight the town, but when one person on his Facebook page urged him to keep the display up, he responded, “Dangers my middle name.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/23/ohio-homeowner-told-to-take-down-his-zombie-nativity-scene/

Isn’t it funny how things work when the tables are turned?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I like the creativity of this lawn decoration and the creator’s attitude, “I wanted a Nativity and I worked with what I had.”

Here are a few more photos:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2884206/It-s-zombie-Christmas-Ohio-man-creates-monster-nativity-scene-holidays.html

paulwalker
    Participant

While I agree that homeowners can pretty much do what they want, there are certain by-laws in planned or condo properties that are signed when sold. I don’t know if this is the case here, but further investigation might be looked at. My warning…be careful what you sign. If not, then let the Zombies attack!

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yeah, I won’t buy anything with a covenant attached. You really don’t own the home.

For some people, it’s great. But, everybody needs to think it through, knowing themselves well enough to know it’s great, or it’s just not.

skeptical
    Participant

A covenant?

missing_kskd
    Participant

I use that word loosely to describe all the various agreements that can exist related to a home.

Some are weak, like norms, and there are options, but there is also neighborhood feel, etc… too.

Others are legally binding, and there aren’t so many options.

cov·e·nant
    ˈkəvənənt/
    noun
    noun: covenant; plural noun: covenants

an agreement.
    synonyms: contract, agreement, undertaking, commitment, guarantee, warrant, pledge, promise, bond, indenture; More
    pact, deal, settlement, arrangement, understanding
    “a breach of the covenant”
    Law
    a contract drawn up by deed.
    synonyms: contract, agreement, undertaking, commitment, guarantee, warrant, pledge, promise, bond, indenture; More
    pact, deal, settlement, arrangement, understanding
    “a breach of the covenant”
    Law
    a clause in a contract.
    Theology
    an agreement that brings about a relationship of commitment between God and his people. The Jewish faith is based on the biblical covenants made with Abraham, Moses, and David.

verb
    verb: covenant; 3rd person present: covenants; past tense: covenanted; past participle: covenanted; gerund or present participle: covenanting

agree, especially by lease, deed, or other legal contract.
    “the landlord covenants to repair the property”
    synonyms: undertake, contract, guarantee, pledge, promise, agree, engage, warrant, commit oneself, bind oneself
    “the landlord covenants to repair the property”

Vitalogy
    Participant

Don’t be fooled. This has nothing to do with CC&R’s. This is 100% about someone attempting to control someone else’s free speech rights.

missing_kskd
    Participant

I agree. Was riffing on what Paul said.

A zombie nativity isn’t a big deal and this is deffo a free speech matter.

This kind of thing, like most things we deem offensive, is as offensive as any of us thinks it is, meaning there is no reason to remove the display.

If anything, the right answer is more free speech! People are completely free to talk about how offended they are, and a lot of others will then be free to laugh hard at them.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The regulations being cited against this homeowner are township laws that limit the size of yard displays. However, I am sure that there are many more “traditional” Christmas displays in his township that run afoul of the 35% area rule, and these have not come under scrutiny.

By the way, I think that in the zombie display, I see Joseph, Mary, and two of the three Wise Men. What happened to the third one?

skeptical
    Participant

Wise Christians are hard to find.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

How very true.

That’s the thing with this country, freedom of religion gives people the right to not follow a religion if they so choose. Others may disagree; we would then need to agree that we disagree and move on.

This “Sycamore Township” appears to be a civil township, for which we don’t have an equivalent to in the Pacific Northwest. Looks like in Ohio they’re a step between a county and an incorporated village/city. It’s an interesting coincidence they gave the individual with the display through today (Dec. 26th) to leave it up.

If the neighbor didn’t like the display for whatever reason (noise, traffic, interpretation), perhaps they should have simply visited the individual with the display and/or drawn the curtains on windows facing the property. Problem solved without overreaction.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Who would have thought you’ve been looking for them.

Amus
    Participant

Actually they’re not.
    There are several I can think of on this very forum.

They’re just not as loud as the obnoxious ones.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Are catholics christian?

http://www.born-again-christian.info/catholics.htm

Regardless, whether catholic or christian, the term “wise” does not come to mind.

Wise would define the scientists who dispel the myths and lies of the various brands of religion.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Getting back to the point of my post, non-christians aren’t very good at playing the victim card.

When you’re pulling out feet and inch measurements on a yard display, you’re trying to limit someone else’s free speech.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.