Oh boy, here we go again

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brianl
    Participant

19 year old Tony Robinson, an African-American young man, was shot and killed in Madison, WI by a white police officer last night.

Robinson was unarmed.

http://news.yahoo.com/madison-police-19-old-dies-being-shot-officer-105851854.html

missing_kskd
    Participant

Oh man!

Not good. We are headed for some ugly times.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Let’s see now, he attacked the cop, knocked him down, the cop shot him in self defense.

What is this thing that blacks are supposed to be able attack cops and not have the cop respond. What is the cop supposed to do?

Brianl
    Participant

Use non-lethal force would be a good start, Deane. Cops are trained in all sorts of non-lethal methods.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Laying on the ground with a guy about to stomp your head in certainly has it’s challenges to finding an effect deterrent.

The fact of the matter is that we know little about this situation, but the lynch mobs are already tying knots in their nooses.

duxrule
    Participant

The Slaughter Continues: 176 Civilians Killed by Cops so Far in 2015

“I remember when one cop was all it took to subdue a homeless man without anyone being hurt or harmed. Now?!…… It takes half the police force and a scud missile to subdue a homeless broken down old drunk………. They can capture a man alive after he blows away half a grade school with an arsenal of weapons but they can’t handle a homeless man? They can capture a man after he kills people at a Batman movie but the homeless drunk?…. He’s a home grown terror cell so we better blow him away. Get the picture?”
    http://truthvoice.com/2015/03/the-slaughter-continues-176-civilians-killed-by-cops-so-far-in-2015/

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Actually duxrule, you are correct. Law enforcement today has a bad habit of overreacting to situations, and there are plenty of thug cops in this country.

I don’t apply that to these isolated instances where a cop is attacked and defends himself. Those are clearly a case by case situation.

missing_kskd
    Participant

I do agree with Deane in that we need to just reset the town.

Recently, that was done here in my neck of the woods. Forest Grove police are effective and not corrupt. IMHO, they are doing a very reasonable job of policing. The town next door, Cornelius, was corrupt as hell. All sorts of problems, and with that lots of incidents.

The State came in, shut down the existing police, worked with the county Sheriffs and Forest Grove to extend FG police to that region. Today, the improvements can already be seen.

Most of that transition was transparent to people here. We saw a few new cars, less ugly reports, and for those who get involved, a bit different policy / rules to work through.

Doing this in Ferguson is a no brainer. Needs to be done.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

One of the things I don’t understand about Ferguson is why the white’s are in charge. The black population is clearly in the majority, I think something like 85% black.

Wouldn’t it be logical that over a period of time the voters could elect a black city council, or whatever type governing entity is in place. The city council in turn would be able to hire a black police chief and the chief in turn could put more black cops on the street. That’s the approach that should be used in this country to change things, not riots and stolen big screen TVs.

It seems to me that if the community is indeed 85% black, then the administration and law enforcement should be predominantly black. I don’t mean affirmative action of some sort, I mean voters at the polls controlling their destiny.

edselehr
    Participant

I’ve been trying to figure out where all this racism and violence (and as Deane pointed out, white power entrenchment) came from, and why it seems to have emerged just recently.

My guess: when the auto sector collapsed back in the later 2000’s, there was a mass exodus of people from the cities and states where those industries were predominate. Many of those cities (Detroit, Lansing, Dearborn) were largely black, and it was the poorest (read: blackest) parts of the population that were hit the worst, and so they were the ones that tried to move on to greener pastures. Places like Missouri, for example.

A sudden spike in the black population of these cities would explain the racism, the animus between the police and the citizens, and the lack of minorities within the municipal structure. I wonder if I’m right on this?

Deane Johnson
    Participant

It appears to be 67% black rather than 85% as I stated. I also note the voter turnout in the last election was 12% and the Mayor ran unopposed.

“As of the 2010 census,[3] there were 21,203 people, 8,192 households, and 5,500 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,425.4 inhabitants per square mile (1,322.6/km2). There were 9,105 housing units at an average density of 1,470.9 per square mile (567.9/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 67.4% African American, 29.3% White, 0.5% Asian, 0.4% Native American, 0.4% from other races, and 2.0% from two or more races. Hispanic and Latino of any race were 1.2% of the population.

The Mayor of Ferguson is directly elected for a three-year term.[26] Voter turnout in the most recent mayoral election was approximately 12%.[27][28] The Mayor ran unopposed.[28] The Ferguson city council is composed of six members.[27]”

Vitalogy
    Participant

Anytime an unarmed civilian is killed by police, it’s likely the cop went overboard in their reaction. We’ve allowed our police departments to operate under a “resist arrest or be killed” mentality it seems. They take the easy way out, rather than make an effort to subdue someone, they just whip out the gun and shoot.

As for towns like Ferguson, the issue is generational poverty, and the local government, police, and courts that are supposed to help everyone appears to be willing to keep a segment of the population in that generational poverty status.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.