NWCN is now History

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

I don’t know how many people caught it, but NWCN signed off tonight at 7PM for good. They were a viable all news channel for the NW for 21 years. I first watched it on Cable, then with my big satellite dish in Analog . Then Dish carried it for a time, dropping it a few month ago. Then I went back to watching it off G14 digital until tonight when it went off, after 21 years. It will be missed, but with everything On Demand now both TV and streaming, I guess it was a change in the times. I believe the Texas All News Channel went off a couple years back. Fortunately I did record a couple DVDs of the last days and the last hour tonight until sign off. A piece NW Broadcasting history now.

paulwalker
    Participant

Indeed. It was a great project from previous owners, but Gannett/Tegna doesn’t see the value. I respect that decision, but still disagree with it.

They had a nice advantage of combining the Tegna stations,and previously the Belo stations to provide a good network of NW news.

But it is obvious that Tegna doesn’t want anything to do with these regional cables. So be it. Goodbye.

Notalent
    Participant

The only part that bothered me about NWCN was that the owner exploited the fact that a “cable channel” did not have to pay its talent the same union scale that they would have to pay if they were actually on KING TV.

On one hand it was a stepping stone for talent but on the other hand these people were working and living in Seattle for Spokane wages.

mwdxer1
    Participant

That I did not know. Having better coverage, I would think NWCN would have had the same pay scale at least.

paulwalker
    Participant

When NWCN started in the mid-90’s they updated their newscasts frequently, ran breaking news when the parent stations didn’t, kept the weather updated, and generally were a substantial news operation. I can’t pinpoint exactly when that all changed, perhaps a long and painful transition to the end, where they rarely updated the newscasts, rarely ran breaking news, and didn’t even bother to build a set for it when KING moved to SoDo. The writing has been on the wall for awhile.

mwdxer1
    Participant

That is true, NWCN had been going down hill for some time with few updates. That probably started maybe 10 years ago, as some complained the newscasts were not being updated on the weekends.But there was probably less money going into the operation for years too.

washnotore
    Participant

Before there was Northwest Cable News. Regional news updates in the early 1980’s. Were seen on the Satellite News Channel aka SNC.

Since this national news network was jointly owned by ABC and Group W. This arrangement allowed Seattle based Fisher Broadcasting KOMO-TV (Along with KATU-TV). To provide Northwest News updates during the last 10 mins of the hour.

However SNC was very shorted live. Only lasting for 16 months from 1982-83. Most cable systems from that time went to Turner based CNN. Cox cable of Vancouver was one of the first systems in Portland area to sign up with SNC. Than went to CNN after the shutdown.

mwdxer1
    Participant

With the Roku, Chromecast, and other streaming items, I can easily get the local newscasts from about anywhere in the US. I think all of the Tegna station that were part of NWCN, all stream, KGW, KREM, KING, etc. I checked their apps out on the Roku and they have the news there on demand 24/7 including weather. So maybe the usefulness of NWCN just faded away.I am a real news junkie and I love watching local news from all over. That I can do with streaming.

msndrspdx
    Participant

On Facebook, I have KGW, WNBC, WCBS, and WGN, and they all use Facebook Live quite a bit. Most TV stations stream their newscasts live thru their websites and/or apps. KGW, for example, has been using FB Live quite a bit this weekend with the snow, which is now turning into freezing rain, to get information out. And the CBS News app now includes their new news channel CBSN, which runs 24/7. The events at Ft. Lauderdale on Friday had live coverage going on all of the above for much of the day on Friday. WCBS even relayed live coverage from CBS’s Anchorage station of the APD’s press conference Friday night. That’s hustling for information, folks.

NWCN suffered from not enough promotion and Comcast’s failure to place it on the HD tier when the DTV chsngeover took place a few years back. Tegna’s mistrust of the local news channel format didn’t help, either. Hopefully someone else will create one and use a digital subchannel to run it on. Several stations across the country do just that. Portland deserves to have one. In NYC, they actually have two, NY1 and News 12, and they’re both doing well.

mwdxer1
    Participant

The NY12 nets are great, as each area has one directed to their part. Even NY & CT has them. I get all streaming and the local news can be fun to watch. NY is a different World from here.

paulwalker
    Participant

mxdxer1, we are alike, in that I also love watching out of market tv news. I have always enjoyed seeing the differences between markets since I was about 12. Unfortunately, today many markets have gone to a standard look-a-like profile, and that gets a bit boring.

I went to directv last year, and the installer said I could get LA and NY stations. But when I called DTV they said no you can’t.

I don’t like watching out of market on my phone, and don’t really like it on my PC. Just doesn’t seem to be the same experience. Many stations still are hard catches online, buffering, no signal, etc., etc.

Perhaps I need to upgrade to some of the services you mentioned?

mwdxer1
    Participant

I am grandfathered in with the Super Stations with Dish (KTLA-LA, WPIX-NY, WWOR-NJ, WSBK-MA, and KWGN-CO). I have friends in NY& LA, so I do watch their news. Since I bought the Roku and the Chromecast, about any OTA station that streams their news I get. Cast it to the TV, some even in HD. Roku has a lot of OTA stations (150+) from most states that stream their local news. Some of the small markets in the South are interesting to watch. Not the slick style you see here.One morning I was up, I started watched the local news from the East Coast, started in ME and went all the way down to FL. It was a kick. I never know what I might find. Even some small diginet channels are available.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.