Number of Americans killed annually by:

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Number of Americans killed annually by:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Vitalogy
    Participant

What about “keeping America safe?”

Look at those numbers. They don’t lie.

White US citizen gun owners lead the league in killings by the thousands as compared to refugees and immigrants. Damn near a shut out.

Where’s the outrage?

paulwalker
    Participant

Who is most concerned about these killings?

Islamic immigrants: Republicans
    Far Right Wing Terrorists: Democrats
    All Islamic terrorists: Republicans
    Armed Toddlers: Democrats
    Lightning: Neither
    Lawn Mowers: Neither
    Hit by a Bus: Neither
    Falling our of bed: Neither
    Being shot by another American: Democrats

In summary, the Republicans are most concerned about the lowest risks, the democrats are most concerned about the highest risks.

edselehr
    Participant

Republican fear the Other, be they overseas or among us.

Democrats embrace the Other, be they overseas or among us.

Righties think they are tough, when they are actually scared.

Be my guest and embrace a terrorist wearing a bomb Edselehr.

BTW, Paul, I’m a Republican and I do fear toddlers toting pistols and other Americans who might want to kill me.

But my greatest fear is of abortionists killing the unborn and they kill millions. Usually most Republicans fear that and Democrats don’t give two hoots about the destruction of those inconvenient lives. It’s pretty sad that the riskiest place to be is in a mother’s womb,thanks to the Democrats’ twisted idea of “rights.”

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Being shot is the #2 leading cause of death. The #1 accidental cause of death is poisoning (38,851 deaths in 2014). Motor vehicle related deaths make up #3 (35,398 deaths in 2014). See https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/accidental-injury.htm

duxrule
    Participant

@Bacon: I saw this a couple of days ago and thought of you:

“Here’s a test:
    I’m holding a baby in one hand and a petri dish holding an embryo in the other.
    I’m going to drop one. You chose which.
    If you really truly believe an embryo is the same thing as a baby, it should be impossible for you to decide. You should have to flip a coin, that’s how impossible the decision should be.
    Shot in the dark, you saved the baby.
    Because you’re aware there’s a difference.
    Now admit it.”

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

My favorite bible verses are the ones about abortion.

edselehr
    Participant

How many people a year are killed driving to church? Bet it’s a lot. Seriously.

Amus
    Participant

My favorite bible verses are;

When life actually begins;

Genesis 2:7
    “…then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.”

And the one that exposes today’s Americhristians as the tremendous hypocrites they are.

Matthew 25:41-46

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I’ve wondered how far one could trace the origins of this country’s particular flavor of Christianity. It goes at least as far as the 1950s, when the Soviets and their satellite states were seen as enemies of God. In 1954, “under God” was inserted into the Pledge of Allegiance. In 1956, “In God We Trust” became the national motto. If the US were the openly God-believing country, surely God must take its side.

The real magic happened when the ideas of Ayn Rand, a very hard-bound atheist, were married with Christianity to produce some of today’s familiar political rhetoric.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

Today’s “Christians” are, very broadly speaking and with apology to the minority, a bunch of hypocritical, illogical, anti-science, anti-education, hateful loons with a willfully flawed understanding of both U.S. history and the U.S. Constitution. Ignorant, religious zealots are something to fear; regardless of what religion they claim to cleave to.

I’ve said it before, I’m (far) more afraid of our American Taliban than I am of the religious extremists of Islam commonly used as a bogeyman/punching bag by the GOP and it’s reason and fear addled adherents.

The number of self-proscribed Christians I know personally and/or are brave enough to speak out in a public forum, that are nice, inclusive, educated, thoughtful, examples of their faith are few and far between. They are seemingly the exception to the rule.

The only “persecution” they face is being labeled for what they are, and in having others resisting having Christians religious views codified into law and thereby inflicted upon the rest of us. Which of course is not persecution at all. I don’t want to live in a Theocracy, thanks. Neither did the Founding Fathers.

As has been noted time and again and supported with dozens upon dozens of fact examples and supportive reasoning, the “values” of The Republican Party are in many cases 100% at odds with the teachings of Jesus Christ.

As for Trump, he’s one of the least “Christian” people I’ve ever seen. By his own words and actions, not my unsupported opinion, he’s a massive liar, a hypocrite, a narcissist, a bully, is mean spirited, seems to lack empathy, has never heard of the Golden Rule much less evidenced it, is not kind, is not charitable, is not forgiving but rather seeks vengeance for every slight real or imagined, is greedy, is self-centered, is quick to judge and quick to anger, divides rather than brings together, and seems to delight in creating chaos rather than cooperation. He brags about that behavior in the form of thinking their positive attributes in several of the books that were ghost written for him. To say nothing of being a thrice married, adulterer whose language (when he didn’t know someone would be listening, etc.) would make a dock worker blush.

“Christians”, you’re the ones who got grabbed by the pussy. You’ve forever and all time surrender even the thin façade of the moral high ground you claimed to hold and been revealed for what you are.

edselehr
    Participant

I”m coming to the realization that Pence won the election for Trump. He is Evangelical Christianity’s man; they could care less about Trump, but Trump’s win put Pence in the White House. Either Pence is the power behind the throne, or he ascends to the presidency once Trump implodes/resigns – either are a win for the religious right.

And once Pence and his policies start to emerge, then we’ll see some real religious persecution, courtesy of “700 Club” Christians.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

You’re crediting Trump voters with a level of calculation I’ve seen little to no evidence of.

Meanwhile, Trump’s behavior, and that of his supporters, is making me worry about the future of our country in a way I can scarcely begin to accept is possible. It’s a discussion for another time, but do you honestly accept that (presupposing he’s not thrown out of office before hand by the very part that’s currently behind him) if he runs and loses his reelection bid in 2020 that he’ll peacefully transfer power and graciously accepts the will of the voters? I’m really starting to have my doubts.

While I would welcome President Pence at this point, as the new low bar of our political process appears to be “at least he’s not certifiably insane”, as you correctly pointed out his policies are not particularly enlightened.

edselehr
    Participant

Bush lost the religious right with his inability to execute the Evangelical playbook: Eliminate Roe v. Wade, push back against LGBTQ rights, reinstitute a 21st century Jim Crow, and ban muslims.

Trump wasn’t a standard bearer for all those causes, and for a long time I don’t think the religious right knew what to do. Pence closed the deal for them, I think. These are people that likely would have stayed home, but instead supported the GOP ticket.

Trump’s win was an assemblage of aggrieved whites, investment capitalists, “America First” isolationists, evangelicals and desperate Rust Belt poor. Without all those pieces in place he wouldn’t have won. It’s not calculation on the voter’s part, it’s Trump adding enough one-issue groups together. And that’s the one thing you have to give Trump credit for – he really knows how to talk out of multiple sides of his mouth.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.